2021 Polaris Release

-crz-

Lots of hype, from all the different brand cheerleeders. Unfortunately, what you ride as great and new innovations at these early demo rides, is not necessarily what you may be getting when your order finally arrives in late fall. The sled you ride in the demo may have 20 HP more stuffed into the tune. A very easy thing to do these days. The one you receive will be dialed back, for warranty sake. I,m always amazed how gullible sledders are, and how easily they get sucked into the hype. Look back at past performance from all the brands, and make your choices carefully.

Throw out all the brand loyalty b.s.  What would you really expect to hear from all the brand loyal chosen ones ? What makes them such experts, after a few days of wining and dining ?

1 hour ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Lots of hype, from all the different brand cheerleeders. Unfortunately, what you ride as great and new innovations at these early demo rides, is not necessarily what you may be getting when your order finally arrives in late fall. The sled you ride in the demo may have 20 HP more stuffed into the tune. A very easy thing to do these days. The one you receive will be dialed back, for warranty sake. I,m always amazed how gullible sledders are, and how easily they get sucked into the hype. Look back at past performance from all the brands, and make your choices carefully.

Throw out all the brand loyalty b.s.  What would you really expect to hear from all the brand loyal chosen ones ? What makes them such experts, after a few days of wining and dining ?

As an ambassador for one of the brands, In no way would I claim to be an expert, just a trail rider that happens to love the brand I represent, Any of my impressions are purely subjective based on my experience of riding the new models that were shown to us and had a chance to ride. I personally like that they sent a bunch of us to ride them and give real feedback on them. I think all of the OEM's are building great sleds and do well in the markets they compete in for sure. Are they all perfect absolutely not and do they all have issues, absolutely yes they do. I ride quite a few miles every year and on trails all over Ontario and Quebec and so yes I think my opinions or impressions of a sled are valid and not based on "wining and dining" as mentioned.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nunz said:

As an ambassador for one of the brands, In no way would I claim to be an expert, just a trail rider that happens to love the brand I represent, Any of my impressions are purely subjective based on my experience of riding the new models that were shown to us and had a chance to ride. I personally like that they sent a bunch of us to ride them and give real feedback on them. I think all of the OEM's are building great sleds and do well in the markets they compete in for sure. Are they all perfect absolutely not and do they all have issues, absolutely yes they do. I ride quite a few miles every year and on trails all over Ontario and Quebec and so yes I think my opinions or impressions of a sled are valid and not based on "wining and dining" as mentioned.

A big X2 buddy...

2 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

I remember in years past some manufacturers would make production changes after preproduction test rides that resulted in lost performance. Usually resulting in a recall or something along those lines. But I think with current design engineering techniques those days are pretty much behind us and the early season sample models are what customers get the following fall.

I think all the hype around a new chassis and engine in the same model year is deserved. Kind of nice to see the next evolution of a brand IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

I'm sorry you feel this way. 

Yes I am a Brand Ambassador for Polaris. Yes I represent a manufacturer that I believe in.

Yes my comments and reviews represent my opinions of riding the new equipment.

For what it's worth, this is not my first pre-production ride and I have no reason to believe Polaris will 'de-tune' for production.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Well that's just it isn't it? Hype.. Really depends on whether you bought into the marketing onslaught or not? 

Certainly as consumers we are bombarded with a bevy of articles, photos, videos and the like on social platforms. Todays society has been pre-programmed to want the "best" of everything (and let's not factor in the age of entitlement mentality shall we?).

While we can certainly get a misrepresentation of any product based on the afore mentioned online onslaught (the bulk of it coming from online end-users). We seem to have forgotten to take everything with a grain of salt or the fact that we/us as individuals conjure up a notion in our heads of what said product or brand should be like and then are dissapointed by it (for whatever reason), only to go off about it online or elsewhere & to anyone who is willing to listen. 

Brand Ambassadors

As a whole they take a s*+t-kicking... 

Loyal to the brand because they believe in it, approached for discounts or free swag (you have no idea how often this happens),  wanted for their opinions on said product at a moments notice, yet slammed in the same breath for being a "paid puppet" & over-hyping a new product/brand. (90% aren't paid btw). 

Believe me, as an Ambassador/Pro-Staff'er in another realm for almost 22yrs, I've seen, heard and been called all of it. Ambassadors are there and have been chosen predominately because they are familar with the brand, have high visability in the field per-say, it's values and can represent them in a professional manner on an end-user level. 

My hat is off to those who are fortunate enough to take on the task of Ambassador in these days. 

Manufactures

Are caught in a conundrum, because if they are not releasing new product every couple of years the consumer either thinks they are resting on their laurels or a are falling behind their competition. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes not, that's just the way it goes.  Again, all of this is being driven by the consumer wanting the "best" of the moment.

Product launches are always a big deal on high ticket items. It's a way to get their distributers/dealers behind said product and build sales for the year. End-users always whine about these Sales Meetings or Product launch to-dos (insert a plethora of complaints/comments here). The reality is, a Company uses them to create sales which turns into profit, which then drives new R & D, turning that into new product yet again and there-by perpetuating the cycle  It really is a fine line or double-edged sword for them. 

So, Is there a best behind the Hype? 

Short and only answer?

NO .. What suits one person, may not suit another regardless of conceived popularity, online banter or even brand/make regardless of whether it's Sleds or a dang Q-Tip.. 

Having said all that... It basically comes back down to this... 

Do you or did you buy into the "Hype" ? .. 

If you did or didn't is irrelevant. The point being is the individual consumer made the choice one way or the other and no one else. Like it? Perfect. Don't like it? Deal with it.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm loving this thread. I think the ambassadors are providing a worthwhile function in terms of feedback to their manufacturers and in terms of spreading the gospel to fellow enthusiasts. I am a little concerned that so many sledders/consumers can call a product a great product when they feel obliged to buy a new one every year or two. Surely any company should be able to build a sled that remains reliable and 'current' in terms of comfort and handling for more than one year. 

I am a serious trail sledder, who for two years has wanted to replace my 2017 sled, but I haven't because no one builds what I want. I want a 129" skid coupled with a BRP 900 ACE motor. And oh, I would like X package suspension. Such a machine is not even on Skidoo's radar as they struggle to come up with even more deep snow models. My sled is considered by the masses to be a 'girl's or old geezer's sled'. I fit nicely into that group, but I notice that very, very few riders on more powerful machines ever pass me on the trail. My propulsion costs are half that of the average two stroke sled. I can afford $70 a jug 2T oil, but I can't see why I would want to burn through that and extra premium gas to foul the air.

If Polaris or Yamaha put their mind to it, they could produce an 800-900 cc four stroke trail sled that people including myself would buy, but they likely feel there is no market to support such a sled. They may be correct, but only because all manufacturers have worked so hard for the past ten years creating and nurturing the demand for high performance off-trail and "crossover" sleds.They have been successful! There are thousands of people riding mostly on-trail, on sleds that don't turn well at speed because they have too much track and uncoupled suspensions. Marketing has triumphed over reality.

End of rant!

My mini rant would be that Skidoo, in their wisdom, made the fuel tank 4 litres smaller in 2019 and stopped offering a 900 in a 129 skid. With 19000 trouble free km on my sled, I am going to retire it to backup status, and find a lightly used 2017 or 2018 XS chassis 900 ACE to buy. Shame on Skidoo for putting me in this position. BTW, just try to buy a good late model used 900!

Now back to the topic of this thread. Polaris, a year from now or sooner, please introduce a flatlander's 4T sled, preferably with 100 HP. It will outhandle the competition, and therefore sell, I'm sure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, tricky said:

I'm loving this thread. I think the ambassadors are providing a worthwhile function in terms of feedback to their manufacturers and in terms of spreading the gospel to fellow enthusiasts. I am a little concerned that so many sledders/consumers can call a product a great product when they feel obliged to buy a new one every year or two. Surely any company should be able to build a sled that remains reliable and 'current' in terms of comfort and handling for more than one year. 

I am a serious trail sledder, who for two years has wanted to replace my 2017 sled, but I haven't because no one builds what I want. I want a 129" skid coupled with a BRP 900 ACE motor. And oh, I would like X package suspension. Such a machine is not even on Skidoo's radar as they struggle to come up with even more deep snow models. My sled is considered by the masses to be a 'girl's or old geezer's sled'. I fit nicely into that group, but I notice that very, very few riders on more powerful machines ever pass me on the trail. My propulsion costs are half that of the average two stroke sled. I can afford $70 a jug 2T oil, but I can't see why I would want to burn through that and extra premium gas to foul the air.

If Polaris or Yamaha put their mind to it, they could produce an 800-900 cc four stroke trail sled that people including myself would buy, but they likely feel there is no market to support such a sled. They may be correct, but only because all manufacturers have worked so hard for the past ten years creating and nurturing the demand for high performance off-trail and "crossover" sleds.They have been successful! There are thousands of people riding mostly on-trail, on sleds that don't turn well at speed because they have too much track and uncoupled suspensions. Marketing has triumphed over reality.

End of rant!

My mini rant would be that Skidoo, in their wisdom, made the fuel tank 4 litres smaller in 2019 and stopped offering a 900 in a 129 skid. With 19000 trouble free km on my sled, I am going to retire it to backup status, and find a lightly used 2017 or 2018 XS chassis 900 ACE to buy. Shame on Skidoo for putting me in this position. BTW, just try to buy a good late model used 900!

Now back to the topic of this thread. Polaris, a year from now or sooner, please introduce a flatlander's 4T sled, preferably with 100 HP. It will outhandle the competition, and therefore sell, I'm sure.

Agree with all your comments on the 900ace. Mrs. Turbo Doo is interested in a 2021 Turbo, but is having a hard time in wanting to let her 18' 900 Ace Blizzard go.... We shall she what she decides...

On 3/6/2020 at 9:29 PM, tricky said:

End of rant!

You make some good points. My wife rides a '12 Vector with a 120 track and sees no need to go bigger but the options are limited even at 129 if you want to stay 4 stroke.

And why Polaris is dragging their feet for so long on the 4 stroke front is confusing. Most have forgotten the 750 even existed at this point. I'd need more than the 100hp myself, more like 150-160, but this is a good chunk of the market they leave for Ski-doo. I assume they can't find a cost effective way to compete.

On 3/6/2020 at 9:29 PM, tricky said:

End of rant!

Well put.  I'd say give the renegade 137" track a chance though.  I have my wife on a 2014 900 ace renegade (137") and I have a 2016 900 ace blizzard (129").  To be perfectly honest hers handles and rides better.  I get why they went to the 137" tracks.  They do everything and more that the old 121" units did.  That said the fuel tank is a big draw back.  Why drop 5 liters of capacity?  Having close to 300 km of range was a big selling point on the 2014 - 2018 900 ace units.

Once I heard no 4 stroke from Polaris I didn't even bother to look at their website or the new lineup.  They are way behind the ball.  Can you believe they also don't put tether cords on their sleds as standard equipment.  Major safety item there.

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I assume they can't find a cost effective way to compete.

My train of thought on the new 650 plant vs the 600R E-Tech as well. But good on them for offering up an alternative

3 hours ago, signfan said:

They are way behind the ball.  Can you believe they also don't put tether cords on their sleds as standard equipment.  Major safety item there.

I built three different models yesterday morn over Coffee

XCR 129

XC 137

Assault 144 

Other than E-Start and PIDD ($1k alone) no other options. All were in the $17500 range and within $600 of each other. I'm trying to understand why Polaris charges for E-Start when it's regarded as standard fare elsewhere these days? 

Thx tricky for input on smaller tank. This was a very informative thread.

Think I have found a nearly virgin 2017 TNT(129) 900. Not saying any more until I own it.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Polaris extended their snow check until May 1 

0% financing for 48 months and 2 yr warranty 

• Like 1

Are any of us going to be alive long enough to ride it - let alone pay it off?

--or--

"Go for it - what'cha got to lose eh?"

Edited by Ox

2 hours ago, Ox said:

Are any of us going to be alive long enough to ride it - let alone pay it off?

--or--

"Go for it - what'cha got to lose eh?"

If ya have the means, it might be the best time to make a purchase beit Sled, Car/Truck etc. For most it won't be the right time until 2-3yrs afterwards. 

Usually it's the toys that get sold off quickly in financial crisis and given the nature of what we are experiencing currently, I'm already seeing that in other hobbies and adjoing forums I'm on. Not quite fire sale status, but if you believe the hype surrounding possible outcomes maybe in a few months time it could reach that level. 

I'm suspecting a lot of folk with all this "home/family time", are re-thinking what is actually practical or required vs luxury items and getting back to a simpler, less debt induced lifestyle once it is over. . We really haven't seen the likes of this type of re-set on lifestyle since either of the two WWs. 

2 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

Polaris extended their snow check until May 1 

0% financing for 48 months and 2 yr warranty 

Got that email today as well. At least they're making an effort given the market dynamics. I suspect they could extend it yet again. 

34 minutes ago, MXZSlider said:

I'm suspecting a lot of folk with all this "home/family time", are re-thinking what is actually practical or required vs luxury items and getting back to a simpler, less debt induced lifestyle once it is over. . 

LOL!

OR......

We will all be so bloody sick of all this home time with family, that we will give our left nut for a toy of any sort and a cabin in the bush...

• Haha 3

Things are bad for regular joe. So far I am ok as long as hatcheries and feed mills and processing plants can keep running. I should survive this crises without much financial trouble, people do have to eat after all. This will prove that we can’t count on other countries to make our toilet paper, hand sanitizer, etc in China. This stuff needs to be made in Canada, along with our food supply. Big wake up call for everyone and will hopefully lead to return in local sourced manufacturing again 

• Like 3

On 3/9/2020 at 3:50 AM, MXZSlider said:

My train of thought on the new 650 plant vs the 600R E-Tech as well. But good on them for offering up an alternative

I built three different models yesterday morn over Coffee

XCR 129

XC 137

Assault 144 

Other than E-Start and PIDD ($1k alone) no other options. All were in the $17500 range and within $600 of each other. I'm trying to understand why Polaris charges for E-Start when it's regarded as standard fare elsewhere these days? 

Or you can look at as at least they are giving customers the option. I don’t believe the Doo 850 comes with a pull start and you have to pay for it as an option. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Things are bad for regular joe. So far I am ok as long as hatcheries and feed mills and processing plants can keep running. I should survive this crises without much financial trouble, people do have to eat after all. This will prove that we can’t count on other countries to make our toilet paper, hand sanitizer, etc in China. This stuff needs to be made in Canada, along with our food supply. Big wake up call for everyone and will hopefully lead to return in local sourced manufacturing again 

I agree. But do you think this will be enough of a wake up call for our politically correct politicians? As much as I detest Trump, for years now he understood that it doesn't make sense for absolutely everything we buy to be made in China. Maybe I've missed it, but I've never heard another politician in any other country admit it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I am happy that your operation is stable and am thankful to local and North American farmers for what we enjoy. I couldn't agree more with your assessment that we need to re-visit and reconfigure the entire supply chain. My guess is that that ship has already sailed over 40 years ago, and we won't see any significant change when this thing is over. The western world's financial elite sold us a bill of goods in the 70s when they convinced us, or at least our governments, that 'free trade" was good for all of us. It was bull crap then as it is now, and it certainly isn't eco friendly. Free trade = race to the bottom! Max profits! Now we have a 'throw away' society that over consumes cheap junk, throws it to the curb every garbage day only to buy more. It would be great if Covid-19 helped us see the light, that we shouldn't buy almost exclusively from the cheapest manufactures, but don't count on it. Hell, we can't even get out governments to require that our food, at point of purchase, must show country of origin. If we can't even look after food, forget the manufactured goods.

Sorry this rant is in the wrong place.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

The problem we had was people unnecessarily hoarding supplies, if our only source was Canada for goods we would really be up the creek.

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The problem we had was people unnecessarily hoarding supplies, if our only source was Canada for goods we would really be up the creek.

Example?