2005 vector.

zoso

My buddies gf is buying one. Anything she needs to know. I am aware of the red relay, exhaust doughnuts and the bushings as well as yamaheaters... it is the short track. Are there any other common issues with this unit. Has 9000kms. Thanks.

whats the red relay and whats the issue with Yamaha Heaters??Thanks

Edited by Diceman

9 hours ago, zoso said:

My buddies gf is buying one. Anything she needs to know. I am aware of the red relay, exhaust doughnuts and the bushings as well as yamaheaters... it is the short track. Are there any other common issues with this unit. Has 9000kms. Thanks.

Relays were not an issue in the three 2006/2007 Vectors (same platform as 2009) that we rode all over the Abitibii / Gaspe and NCDN. I rode mine just short of 20,000 km. before trading.  Doughnuts, bushings and hyfax wear are known issues. If by Yamaheaters you are referring to hand and throttle warmers, mine always worked although not as well as 2010 or newer models

my 06 Vector I bought with 1700 k on it last year...have 8600k on it now...I put Dupont sliders on it and there still great with 7000 k on them ...exhaust donuts are still good...

Edited by Diceman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, zoso said:

Awesome, so pretty much just sliders. How about nylon bushings?

I replaced the bushings on the front suspension once in almost 20,000 km. Can't remember how many were on it when I did the replacement.

9 hours ago, zoso said:

How about nylon bushings?

Seen some worn thru resulting in oblong mounting hole wear in the cast bulkhead.  Aftermarket Oilite replacements are available for about the same price as OEM plastic ones.   Newer A-arms have grease zerks. 

Also, if you grind a little off the exhaust donut clamps to tighten clamping action, donuts will last longer.  Sled that old will likely be almost impossible to unbolt some of the exhaust header pipe clamps under the tunnel.  I wouldn't even try.  Just drill out the rivets that mount the brackets to the bottom of tunnel, then slide the whole exhaust back enough to replace the donuts.  Refasten with 3/6" steel rivets.  The whole job can be done from the top of the tunnel without removing suspension.

1 hour ago, whits-end said:

Seen some worn thru resulting in oblong mounting hole wear in the cast bulkhead.  Aftermarket Oilite replacements are available for about the same price as OEM plastic ones.   Newer A-arms have grease zerks. 

Also, if you grind a little off the exhaust donut clamps to tighten clamping action, donuts will last longer.  Sled that old will likely be almost impossible to unbolt some of the exhaust header pipe clamps under the tunnel.  I wouldn't even try.  Just drill out the rivets that mount the brackets to the bottom of tunnel, then slide the whole exhaust back enough to replace the donuts.  Refasten with 3/6" steel rivets.  The whole job can be done from the top of the tunnel without removing suspension.

Thanks. I will let them know what to do if it has not been done already.

22 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Relays were not an issue in the three 2006/2007 Vectors (same platform as 2009) that we rode all over the Abitibii / Gaspe and NCDN. I rode mine just short of 20,000 km. before trading.  Doughnuts, bushings and hyfax wear are known issues. If by Yamaheaters you are referring to hand and throttle warmers, mine always worked although not as well as 2010 or newer models

Yamaheaters are an aftermarket plug n play device that tells the ECM to boost the heat output of the older grips.  Before that, we used to just rewire the grips.  IIRC the grips are wired in series, and we rewired to parallel (or the other way around).  But you had to be smart.  With control set at 50% they were very hot.  Above that could cause damage to grips and possibly stator.  But we ran several sleds that way for years with no damage.  If she doesn't know what she's doing, prolly safer to just buy her muffs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, whits-end said:

Anybody ever have issues with pre-2008 cam chain tensioners?  

My 07 had that issue.  Happened at speed and the sled just coasted to a stop.  Bent all the valves and damaged 2 of three cylinders.  Happened at 9600 Km but still within 3 year warranty so a full new long block was installed.  Down on Saturday and back up by Thursday.

I guess very few failed so I don't want to be an alarmist.   But as you say,  the engine most likely grenades if it fails.  I replaced a couple of the tensioners with the 2008 update as a precaution, including one Mrs  Whit rode.  Lotta time involved so I assume not many owners did it or paid to have it done.  These sleds did a lot of touring, so it was peace of mind many kms from home.

• 2 weeks later...

Sold my '07 this fall with 30600 on the clock.