Groomer on Trail Near Lake of Bays

Doogirl69

Saw a groomer with a track off on Friday night on trail 76 or d101b I think going to LOB. Came up from LOB on Sunday and its still there and the trails to Dwight and north were beyond nasty. 

Anyone know what is going on and why other clubs or a spare groomer wasn't used for the whole weekend? Ran into lots of pissed off peopel in Dwight who drove up for the day and dropped in Dwight. 

Why wouldn;t the trails be marked yellow or even red on the ITG and let people know? Nothing on their website/FB or District 7 FB about groomer down and expect poor conditions. 

The trails and information from that area use to be one of the best. Not so much now.

Also the outhouse at the shelter is a disaster. WTF. And no other outhouses on the trails either. They are marked on the map but not there.

:mad:

Edited by Doogirl69

I think this goes back to the discussion elsewhere about the updating of the ITG. Until the clubs have the ability to directly update the ITG, there will be delays in addressing issues on the trail.

2 hours ago, Doogirl69 said:

Saw a groomer with a track off on Friday night on trail 76 or d101b I think going to LOB. Came up from LOB on Sunday and its still there and the trails to Dwight and north were beyond nasty. 

Anyone know what is going on and why other clubs or a spare groomer wasn't used for the whole weekend? Ran into lots of pissed off peopel in Dwight who drove up for the day and dropped in Dwight. 

Why wouldn;t the trails be marked yellow or even red on the ITG and let people know? Nothing on their website/FB or District 7 FB about groomer down and expect poor conditions. 

The trails and information from that area use to be one of the best. Not so much now.

Also the outhouse at the shelter is a disaster. WTF. And no other outhouses on the trails either. They are marked on the map but not there.

I assume there is no one in the OFSC office in Barrie to update between Fri. aft. & Mon. morn.!

14 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

I assume there is no one in the OFSC office in Barrie to update between Fri. aft. & Mon. morn.!

Barrie doesn't do the updates. The individual Districts are in charge of updating their trail status. We were able to change status on our trails this weekend through our contact at the District 5 office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Doogirl69 said:

Just because they were not groomed to perfection in your mind means they should be closed-marked red?

its an off road sport, green means go, red is closed - for 20 plus years we drove up every weekend without knowing what, if anything was available, you rode what was there, how it was.

groomer goes down, should we airlift in a replacement from the massive warehouse holding a fleet of groomers just sitting there doing nothing?

peoples expectations are messed up, it is what it is, if you don't like a little sense of adventure or my goodness, have to endure some rough trail or adversity, find another hobby and stop shitting on the 3 or 4 people who worked hard to provide anything at all for people to ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Just because they were not groomed to perfection in your mind means they should be closed-marked red?

its an off road sport, green means go, red is closed - for 20 plus years we drove up every weekend without knowing what, if anything was available, you rode what was there, how it was.

groomer goes down, should we airlift in a replacement from the massive warehouse holding a fleet of groomers just sitting there doing nothing?

peoples expectations are messed up, it is what it is, if you don't like a little sense of adventure or my goodness, have to endure some rough trail or adversity, find another hobby and stop shitting on the 3 or 4 people who worked hard to provide anything at all for people to ride.

Actually the OFSC has (I believe) 14 spare groomers in the province according to their FB advertising. 4 of these are apparently "strategically located" around the province. Not sure why only 4 are. When there's a groomer down for an extended time, the clubs first call is supposed to go to their District office who control all the groomers within the District. The District office will decide how they are going to shuffle groomers to cover for the downed unit or where they will get a replacement.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Its all about communication. I contacted the 2 other clubs near by and they did not know there was a groomer down between them. They each have 2 groomers and could have helped out over the weekend if asked. The down groomer is the only one that they have and still no info on their groomer and the trails that have not been groomed since Thursday are still showing green. 

• Thanks 1

Why some Clubs don’t use Facebook to quickly update riders as to what is happening on the trails is surprising given that some Clubs are so effectively using FB to communicate.  My old Club now gets almost 4,000 views on most of their posts.

I do realize that some users don’t like Facebook but you don’t need an account to view.  In this day and age there is no excuse to not informing your paying customers of what is going on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Why some Clubs don’t use Facebook to quickly update riders as to what is happening on the trails is surprising given that some Clubs are so effectively using FB to communicate.  My old Club now gets almost 4,000 views on most of their posts.

I do realize that some users don’t like Facebook but you don’t need an account to view.  In this day and age there is no excuse to not informing your paying customers of what is going on.

I use to get an email from the ASC about 2-3 times a week keeping me informed of what is going on and how things are including pictures. This year nothing. Even the President of ASC use to provide trail updates on 105FM in Huntsville once a week a few years ago.

Did anyone else get them? I sent them an email a few years ago then just started getting them. I'm not even a paying member or volunteer.

Edited by Doogirl69
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

the OFSC took that away due to liability. only updates allowed are the official itg. thats it! welcome to political correctness. we allowed this to happen. Ski

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Our groomer for the trails by me was broke down last weekend for a week. I only knew because I posted on our club fb page that I think I lost a kidney on the rail bed. A few others complained as well. All trails still green which is fine, but I agree that a heads up would be nice. I invited a few friends to ride on Monday, I pre warned then because I went on Sunday and almost lost a filling. The way back we took a 47km Detour to avoid the rail bed that was horrible. 

Again, a simple heads up would've been nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skidooboy said:

the OFSC took that away due to liability. only updates allowed are the official itg. thats it! welcome to political correctness. we allowed this to happen. Ski

There are many Clubs still using Facebook to let people know what is going on, e.g. Golden Corridor Snowdrifters, HCSA, Bonfield SC, Luc The Groomer Guy

EBFCD912-6D06-4CE1-8323-FF771828CFC9.png

Why the OFSC considers information such as this is a liability is beyond me.  Golden Corridor Snowdrifters should be an example to other clubs IMHO and they even have a daily sponsor so that is a 10++ in my books.

In my experience, most sledders don’t bitch when you tell them what is going on, what the issues the club is having with breakdowns, etc. and the fact that you are trying to inform them of the Club’s activities, etc. On a regular basis.

9DBB277C-BBF6-41EC-87A5-29D5EEE91467.png

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 9:46 PM, bbakernbay said:

There are many Clubs still using Facebook to let people know what is going on, e.g. Golden Corridor Snowdrifters, HCSA, Bonfield SC, Luc The Groomer Guy

EBFCD912-6D06-4CE1-8323-FF771828CFC9.png

Timmins club posts where they are grooming.

• Like 1