RAP Tour Next Week (2/25-2-28)

gwilburn

Planning to do the RAP next week.  Planning on starting in Huntsville area, day 1 to Pembroke, day 2 to Mattawa, day 3 to North Bay, day 4 back to Huntsville.

We've never ridden this far south.  I'm a bit concerned about the weather forecast for this weekend... specifically if the trails will hold up on the west side of the loop.

thanks,

Greg

I think the only area I would most worry about is the 13 km. of road running east and south of Powassin on the D trail. You will be coming south out of N. Bay so if you take the trails on the west side of Hwy. 11 (D102C / SSR710 / C110D / NN430 / C105D) you can avoid the road running.  Huntsville / Minden / Haliburton temps don't look too bad now for early next week and new snow mid week. Personally I wouldn't be too concerned.

Thanks!  We're gonna do it.  Been riding Northern ON since 2001 and have never done the RAP.  Not sure what to expect.  But doing this loop will save us about 100 miles each way of trailering, and we will ride some new trails.

Thanks for the advice on avoiding the road running (with my 1.75" track).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Saul said:

Just got back from a 11 day tour that included a rap tour.

PLC is correct. 

Avoid the d trail completely. 

The road run was the best part..

Really?  Avoid the WHOLE thing?  Or just the section on Astorville Road section that's yellow on the interactive map?

I see the route that PLC indicated.  Look fun too.  

Thanks ALL!

26 minutes ago, gwilburn said:

Really?  Avoid the WHOLE thing?  Or just the section on Astorville Road section that's yellow on the interactive map?

I see the route that PLC indicated.  Look fun too.  

Thanks ALL!

Sometimes the D trail can be very rough given the high volume of traffic it gets.

D was great until we got to the end of bonfeild grooming.

Complete crap after that.

We did more road running than trail and looked forward to the road due to trail conditions. 

This weekend warm temps will be the end of the d trail..

What was yellow should have been closed..

But I am a little fussy...

8 hours ago, gwilburn said:

Planning to do the RAP next week.  Planning on starting in Huntsville area, day 1 to Pembroke, day 2 to Mattawa, day 3 to North Bay, day 4 back to Huntsville.

We've never ridden this far south.  I'm a bit concerned about the weather forecast for this weekend... specifically if the trails will hold up on the west side of the loop.

thanks,

Greg

If weather is ok you can take trail 11 across top of hailburton, saves lots of time  taking lake route, instead of B. Just depends how much time you have and what trail conditions are like. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

If weather is ok you can take trail 11 across top of hailburton, saves lots of time  taking lake route, instead of B. Just depends how much time you have and what trail conditions are like. 

X2

When we did the RAP tour in 2013, we rode into Big Hawk, gassed up & rode 11 over to B as well. 

Is it possible to make it thru to Whitney w/o getting fuel @ the Base Camp @ the Forest?

16 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I can’t see that trail on the app I bought... is there plenty of gas across there?  Between Deerhurst and Pembroke I mean... we can go 100 miles roughly.  
Also looks like forecast has some snow later in week. That should make the ride back down from North Bay a bit better.  

12 minutes ago, gwilburn said:

I can’t see that trail on the app I bought... is there plenty of gas across there?  Between Deerhurst and Pembroke I mean... we can go 100 miles roughly.  
Also looks like forecast has some snow later in week. That should make the ride back down from North Bay a bit better.  

Trail 11  is way above Haliburton. It runs across Kennisis  Lake and Redstone Lake and meets the B trail going to Whitney. Gas  at Base Camp on Kenisis Lake, in Whitney, Spectacle Lake Lodge and Barrys Bay (if going right in to town.)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gwilburn said:

I recommend taking trail 11 from main B trail it meets just south of Whitney and goes across top of hailburton like plc says. Fuel at hailburton forest at base camp. I recommend getting off trail 11 after sherbourne lake and taking 61 to 64 which goes across raven lake and directly into Dorset. You can fuel and eat there as well, so Lots of fuel on route. Also take tall pines 62 to 63 and into Dorset. A few different ways from trail 11. If you have time can explore some more of tail pines trail. They are always steller since most riders ride b thru hailburton and up to Dorset which is a long slow ride and brutal when rough. This route by passes all of that and snow is usually deeper to north as well. I prefer lake route when open. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Thanks 1

Thanks... I hope it’s less of a maze when we get there. I have yet to find 11 on the ITG app.  Leaving tomorrow night so we can ride locally on Monday some.  The ofsc really needs to do something about the day passes.  I’ve never dealt with such a mess (and I write software for a living).  Then to expect us to attach it to a sled?  Need to go back to the 7-day passes bought at the hotels and be done with it.  
I’ve ridden a lot of places, and I’ve never seen something so difficult and convoluted.   Quebec, Michigan, even New York is so much easier

10 hours ago, gwilburn said:

https://ofsc.evtrails.com/#

Enable the fuel on the menu:

image.png.bdbb130b27bd01655330b896d1c2d822.png

Gas at Little Hawk Lake (on HCSA #11)

Haliburton Forest

Whitney

Top up in Madawaska you should be good to go to Petawawa or Pembroke.

Going thru Barrys Bay isn't kind of a spaghetti bowl of trail routing. Mind you B101A is a scenic trail up to TOP B.