Failures

Rustyrivets

20 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Running and complete it worth in the $3000.00 to $3500.00 depending on time of year you are selling it in my opinion. There are cheap side panels $60.00 on Kijiji in Quebec and if he can get the rest of the parts used and get some help from his buddy to put it back together that's the way to go because its probably worth  less than $1,000.00 the way it is.  Put it back together, make it look pretty and wait until after the first big snow next fall to put it on Kijiji.

side panel was fine, not a scratch on it..lol...

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

There are cheap side panels $60.00 on Kijiji in Quebec

Haven't looked myself, but if it's the upper panels they may be right side cheap.  They are common to both Vec's and Ape's.  That left upper panel is specific to Vec's, and it's around $500 from Yammie without foam, hardware, decals etc.  Lower about $200, and I believe common to both, and likely cheap on Kijiji. 

I agree with your value, and it's late in the season to sell.

I'd be most concerned with why the shaft broke.   Not a common issue, even on Apes with more power.  2006 Apes were not uncommon to break driveshaft, but not jackshaft.  Seized bearing, shaft turning inside and heated up?

Is that a speedo drive gear down yonder?

34 minutes ago, Ox said:

Yep

1 hour ago, Ox said:

The thing that looks like a gear is a reluctor., bolted on the end of the driveshaft.  Beside it, to the right, is the pickup that counts the lobes as they rotate.

Edited by whits-end
  • Like 1

So - if you put a bigger or finer pitched gear on it - the skidoo goes faster?

6 minutes ago, Ox said:

So - if you put a bigger or finer pitched gear on it - the skidoo goes faster?

The idea is to make it read accurately, NOT like a Ski-Doo.

• Like 1

Well, let me tell yuh a thing'r two aboot those lower coolant hoses......

My chum had a new '97 XLT Limited and it had the coveted heated footboards, bulkhead, and likely an under the tunnel coolers, with hoses goin' every which'a'way....

Brand new snowmachine, third trip to Ontario, in March, is the only trips so far AFAIK.

Turns up with a hole in it south of the Montreal River on the D trail to Wawa. 

At this point Willy from the Bristol was with us, and he had a fix for it....

He shoved a [pretty good sized] stick down the hole in the hose, and we limped it to the Montreal.

Fortunately the river was open. Come to think of it - that may be the only time I've seen that river open in the winter?

It was prox March 20, so they may have been lowering the res in anticipation for spring melt? 

96/97 was a HUGE snow year in Algoma!

So my chum had to go fetch a can full of water to make the trip to Wawa - leaving the cap loose eh?

I think that I have that hose still around - hanging on a "wall of shame" somewhere yet.

Sam at Montreal River.jpg