Failures

Rustyrivets

My back sled 2010 polaris switchback 600 has had 2 engine failures.

Seized at 6000 miles, ate a ring at 9000.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Diceman said:

man I wish I lived in your world..lol....man would have to trade and buy new sled every 2 years....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

??? My sled is a 2017 that I bought new-non current with a $4k savings.  I currently have 4,000km on it so am i missing something?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Those xcr’s are very reliable. I put 13,000 trouble free miles on my 1994 440 xcr. One of best sleds I have ever owned. Loved big fuel tank on it too.

But that was a 1994.  There is absolutely nothing the same about the new BRP and the new version of this sled.

4 minutes ago, Puggz said:

??? My sled is a 2017 that I bought new-non current with a $4k savings.  I currently have 4,000km on it so am i missing something?

You think you saved enough to cover deprication on snowmobile.  I time I had a choice of taking, 1 year old sled or 2 year old one brand new. Only an extra 500 of for 2 year old one, so I took newer one

Fuel pump went on my '05 Mach Z 1000 in '08 right @ res @ Winneway-had a great 2 hour wait @ depanneur run by chief-great education/talk till CAA came & took me down to truck @ Temisk.!

On 2/21/2020 at 6:58 PM, Puggz said:

Only thing your missing is looking at my bank account..lol..

Wish I could get new sled but not in my wheelhouse but thumbs up to anyone who can...cheers 

Buddies 2009 Vector this Friday...across field and...yikes...pics say it all...clutch flew 20 plus yards into field and when it flew off destroyed primary too...

20200221_142443.jpg

20200221_142345.jpg

• Sad 2

On 2/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, Ox said:

I can name off WAY too many dead sleds over the years to list here, and that's just the ones that I can remember...

Don't think that any of us have ever blown a track tho???

But ones that come with pics are a little less numerous. 

Here's a cpl:

A) Feb 2004, we unloaded at Terrace Bay and was planning to break open the trail to Longlac as it hadn't been opened yet. Unfortunately - they groomed it just before we got there, and it was hard as a rock. On the way north I could hear a squeek or ??? and I think that I was going through spark plugs frequently. I think that we stayed in Geraldton or Longlac that night. Next day headed west? Just outside of Beardmore, she tied up. Was getting a room in town that night anyhow. 

Next day - the guys had to ride without their fearless leader. I was hoping to git to where a chum had told me about "The Canyon" (or sumpthing like that) west of there on the pipeline somewhere. I got a ride on the Grey Goose west to Nippigon down 11 (possibly the only one on the buss that didn't speak Cree as a first language?) and then planned on fetchin' a bus back east on 17. Well, once in Nippigon, the next bus east on 17 was like a 7 or 9 hr or ???  layover. There really is no place to "lay over" there. It is just a carry out....

So, I opted to hike back out to the 11/17 split and stick a thumb out. I mean - heck - I'm a good lookin' fella, I'm guessin' that the first chick goin' past would skid to a halt ratt away eh?

.... yeah .. well .... maybe I overestimated my abilities here....  I had on Carhart britches anda Skidoo coat, and a facemask turned into a doo rag. (I didn't have a John Deere hat in the snowmachine)

Apparently I looked scary? I was out there for a few hours before one poor sod finally stopped to pick me up.  He was going as far as Schrieber, which didn't put me quite back to my truck, but ... prolly close enough that I could walk it in several hours if it came to it. So I jumped in. 

My luck at Schrieber was MUCH better, and got a lift almost immediately back to Terrace Bay.

By this time - I'd chewed up most of the day, but at least now I was in my truck and backtracking my days trip. I get to the motel and no-ones there yet. So I winch (come along) the sled up onto the deck myself, and AS SOON as I tied it down, here they all come around the corner of the motel. To this day they swear up and down that they were not watching and waiting for the work to be done, but I have my reservations....

New crank and pistons, and back in business. Then a cpl years later, I start to hear that ping/squeal aggin. Was going through plugs aggin.... Was riding back Mile 38 road north of The Soo, and then on to Halfway and back. Motor finished the weekend, but came apart when I got home. Main bearing took a Schidt once aggin!

New crank aggin, but this time I pulled the outter seals and drilled the upper crank case for old skewl lubeing. (ditched the Kluber pack) Did the same to my boys sled in '08. Have yet to have a main bearing failure since, but I did lose a 3rd crank in my sled to tied up con rod bearings. I have my oiler line adjusted to where the update says, but I think that I should maybe ritchen it up a wee bit... 

B) Then a few weeks ago we grenaded the clutch on my boys sled. Autopsy showed that it was a train wreck that started with a lost cotter pin on a roller pin. It had been running a while w/o a roller on one arm w/o knowing it, but we was just putzing around between deadfall, and performance wasn't much of an issue, so didn't notice.

OxTowedIntoBeardmore.jpg

BusTicketNipigon.jpg

OxmobileBeardmore.jpg

DSCN2327.JPG

Any idea what started that failure? The roller arm breaking?

3 hours ago, Diceman said:

Buddies 2009 Vector this Friday...across field and...yikes...pics say it all...clutch flew 20 plus yards into field and when it flew off destroyed primary too...

20200221_142443.jpg

20200221_142345.jpg

Looks to me like the bolt for the secondary was not torqued and came out.  Spinning stuff coming apart at speed = lots of collateral damage.  Too bad.

Surprising that the belt guard didn't get damaged.  Was there no noise or other indicator that something was going amiss(ing)?

6 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Surprising that the belt guard didn't get damaged.  Was there no noise or other indicator that something was going amiss(ing)?

Nothing at all, no noise, vibration, etc...the bolt broke off , did not just come out,   

9 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The belt looks relatively intact. Usually you hear 'noises' as it comes apart warning of impending doom.

Taking a second look, is the jackshaft actually broken?  It usually protrudes out from the bearing enough to support the secondary.  I agree that Terry in Orillia has a lot of used parts and is quite reasonable.  His phone number is 705 323-4506.

Just now, sledjunk said:

Taking a second look, is the jackshaft actually broken?  It usually protrudes out from the bearing enough to support the secondary.  I agree that Terry in Orillia has a lot of used parts and is quite reasonable.  His phone number is 705 323-4506.

shaft broke

36 minutes ago, Diceman said:

Nothing at all, no noise, vibration, etc...the bolt broke off , did not just come out,   

It's a Yammie. He was likely going faster than the speed of sound!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Wow that is impressive., I have never broke down on a Polaris, Yamaha or skidoo either. Always made it back to trailer or home, without being towed. 

Lucky and proper prep work...plus four stroke. My poos before were also good.

20 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

It's a Yammie. He was likely going faster than the speed of sound!

How many KM on the Vector? 

Looks like the shaft might be off center,  could have been camera angle, or happened posthumously...

1 hour ago, manotickmike said:

How many KM on the Vector? 

Looks like the shaft might be off center,  could have been camera angle, or happened posthumously...

I think around 12 to 13 k's....what would you guys think that sled is worth as is?...he is trying to decide what to do???

20 minutes ago, Diceman said:

I think around 12 to 13 k's....what would you guys think that sled is worth as is?...he is trying to decide what to do???

Running and complete it worth in the $3000.00 to $3500.00 depending on time of year you are selling it in my opinion. There are cheap side panels $60.00 on Kijiji in Quebec and if he can get the rest of the parts used and get some help from his buddy to put it back together that's the way to go because its probably worth  less than $1,000.00 the way it is.  Put it back together, make it look pretty and wait until after the first big snow next fall to put it on Kijiji.

On 2/23/2020 at 10:44 AM, revrnd said:

Any idea what started that failure? The roller arm breaking?

Autopsy showed that it was a train wreck that started with a lost cotter pin on a roller pin. It had been running a while w/o a roller on one arm w/o knowing it, but we was just putzing around between deadfall, and performance wasn't much of an issue, so didn't notice.

Just straitened the crank and put the motor back in the sled yesterday.

The worst point on the crank now is .0015, and that is the first bearings in from the mag side - which is Shirley how it came new as we didn't ding that end of the crank.

All tweaking was the first throw.

It was out .018 to start.

Had 2 stroke smoke last night!

Edited by Ox
  • Like 2