Pigeon Lake - Huge Hole

Yamaha Fan

Someone opened a huge hole in the ice on Pigeon Lake between Egan Boathouse and RaceTrac gas station.  I barely missed it but due to my spidey reflexes I swerved.  I  cut some bushes and marked it. It still is dangerous for those night riders.  Hope no one ice checks it as it Family weekend. 

Cheers guys. 

20200216_153539.jpg

20200216_153610.jpg

20200216_135652.jpg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Yamaha Fan said:

Someone opened a huge hole in the ice on Pigeon Lake between Egan Boathouse and RaceTrac gas station.  I barely missed it but due to my spidey reflexes I swerved.  I  cut some bushes and marked it. It still is dangerous for those night riders.  Hope no one ice checks it as it Family weekend. 

Cheers guys. 

20200216_153539.jpg

20200216_153610.jpg

20200216_135652.jpg

That might hurt!

Ice doesn't look too thick there.

Thanks for heads up

21 minutes ago, yamadan700 said:

Ice doesn't look too thick there.

Thanks for heads up

Most of the Lake is about that thickness with lots of powder  .... I  rode up from RaceTrac to Bobcaygeon.  Lots of riders and saw a UTV with snow tracks riding the Lake in the middle. Fun day except for the hole in the ice. 

That ice doesn't look very safe.

6 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

That might hurt!

Jessus.  Looks like Pigeon doesn't have a trail according to the OFSC, good enough for me to stay away.

10 hours ago, Puggz said:

Jessus.  Looks like Pigeon doesn't have a trail according to the OFSC, good enough for me to stay away.

No Lake "really " has an OFSC trail .... the frozen ice is a path to OFSC Trails and marked by Local Clubs.

I made this thread as a heads up to OC members who use Pigeon Lake to get to food and gas at RaceTrac.  OCers also use the Lake to access the trails at Buckhorn and Bobcaygeon.  It is also a route to Sturgeon Lake to access the B103 to Fenlon Falls, Lindsay etc along with local club trails. 

I meant well when I posted. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Yamaha Fan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Yamaha Fan said:

No Lake "really " has an OFSC trail .... the frozen ice is a path to OFSC Trails and marked by Local Clubs.

I made this thread as a heads up to OC members who use Pigeon Lake to get to food and gas at RaceTrac.  OCers also use the Lake to access the trails at Buckhorn and Bobcaygeon.  It is also a route to Sturgeon Lake to access the B103 to Fenlon Falls, Lindsay etc along with local club trails. 

I meant well when I posted. 

Cheers. 

Understood! You were right posting the hazard.  My understanding is that if a club marks a path across water, rates it red/yellow/green, then there's been some due diligence done to ensure that its safe.  Case and point - those tourists that drown on Lac St Jean were well away from the marked route across the ice and the club that manages that zone regularly checks thickness and integrity of the path they've laid out.  

Riding across a lake is no different than riding off trail, you don't know what lies under the camouflage of snow.  Could be a rock or stump, or a hole in the ice that could swallow you whole.

• Like 2

Last year I rode Lakes mostly  .... it was a good year.  02sled even took a group to Giant Tomb Island. 

Even if a club stakes a Lake and you keep to the Staked line...  you can't hold the club responsible it you break through or slam into a pressure crack. The OFSC is clear even on land trails.. " use at your own risk ".

Before I became a Pilot I got a degree in Surveying from North East London Polytechnic and Riparian Law states you cannot own water. You can own the bed of a Lake or stream as long as it's not navigable.  ( I'm brushing over the law here). Since water exists in 3 states .. I.e: as a solid (ice), vapor and liquid, then staking ice on a lake means nothing (IMO). It's like painting X's on water. 

So to all you Lake Riders out there..... I say ride on :grin: we cannot live forever. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Yamaha Fan
  • Like 2

Just circled the whole lake  ...... that was the only hole in the Lake.  Lots of families out ATVing,  snowmobiling and enjoying the Lake. 

I'll stay out for another hour then head home. 

20200217_154013.jpg

• Like 2

Man, I agree that it looks AWFULLY thin there!

Is there a spring there maybe?

I know some shallow lakes have issues with that regularly in some spots.

Is it an illussion, or is there a gap between the ice and the water there?

I sure hope the rest of the lake is better than that!

ESPECIALLY with ATV's as they don't skirt accrost the top like a snowmachine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ox said:

Man, I agree that it looks AWFULLY thin there!

Is there a spring there maybe?

I know some shallow lakes have issues with that regularly in some spots.

Is it an illussion, or is there a gap between the ice and the water there?

I sure hope the rest of the lake is better than that!

ESPECIALLY with ATV's as they don't skirt accrost the top like a snowmachine.

Before I came home I went back to see if the Brush I placed was still there.

1. Yes... it is thin there

2. No Spring at that spot or run off from the land.

3. No illusion.... the ice is thin there for some reason and yes there is a gap between the ice and water.

The rest of the lake is better than that with the exception of glare ice in spots and open water at the mouth of streams. As I mentioned before.... I rode the whole lake from just North of Omemee, past RaceTrac bridge to Buckhorn then Bob Caygeon and there were no other holes. Lots of people with snowmobiles, ATV's, UTV's, ice huts, just ppl standing around or walking their dogs in the middle of the lake.

A point to mention however.... I tried to straighted one of the branches I placed and the ice on the edge started to  buckle and crack. I got out of there pretty quick.

• Like 1

That hole is in the Pigeon River part south of the lake. FYI

• Like 1

I wondered if there was a river running through there.

It's really weird, but where a river/crick/whatever runs through a lake - seems to STAY "river" for some reason.

You would think that the whole lake would slowly drift that direction, but the lower/original trench always seems to be the weak link, and you can see it open up first.

38 minutes ago, Ox said:

I wondered if there was a river running through there.

It's really weird, but where a river/crick/whatever runs through a lake - seems to STAY "river" for some reason.

You would think that the whole lake would slowly drift that direction, but the lower/original trench always seems to be the weak link, and you can see it open up first.

Absolutely.  My tell for a solidPigeon Lake is when the river freezes under the bridge at Emily 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Absolutely.  My tell for a solidPigeon Lake is when the river freezes under the bridge at Emily 

Grizz .... if it's at RaceTrac bridge at Emily you mean, then I rode there about 3 pm and water had formed on top of the ice under the bridge. Should freeze up tonight  but for some reason that one spot where the hole is located is pretty thin and off the water. The ice started cracking as I approached the hole and I was about 5 feet away from it. I booted it outta there.

I do bow to your knowledge of Lakes though. You're the King of the Lake riders.... :icon_steer:and will follow you on any trail.

Cheers.

Edited by Yamaha Fan
  • Like 1

Omemee maybe?

Thanks for the info and marking the spot. Hope all stays away.

Jerry

• Like 1

Yeah. That is my Lake gauge. Not my River quage  you know the river best.  You live there. We are riding Wed. Can you join us?

51 minutes ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Yeah. That is my Lake gauge. Not my River quage  you know the river best.  You live there. We are riding Wed. Can you join us?

Grizz ... I and a friend from Coboconk are riding on Wednesday.  I haven't seen him in 4 years and we made the arrangements 2 weeks ago.  We're starting from 4 miles Lake at his cottage.  Sorry. 

Have fun. Sounds good 

You have to be very careful on lakes especially those w/ strong currents @ the inlets. Anstruther, Boshkong, Head (in Hali' village) & the 1 just west of West Guilford. Yesterday driving from Eganville up to Pembroke I noticed a stretch of water @ the east/north end of Lake Dore.

Methinks that the ice formed and then they dropped the water level in the Trent system before it had a chance to thicken up, hence the gap between the water and ice. Guess the rest of the lake had a better chance to build thicker ice than that spot.

• Like 2