6 Day Saddle Bag tour Stats North ON

Gadgetman

For those considering what the fuel logistics are for a 6 day riding tour, here is some info on 4 stroke Yamahas. (Our group has done a version of this tour for 20 years when available.) Just completed it this year, same as 2018 except for excluding the Canyon between Hearst and Cochrane this year. (4 stroke Yamaha Vectors (3), 1 Viper, and 1 Venture. Yes, none started Friday morning in Cochrane at -34. Had them running by 9:30AM, learned a couple more tricks.) Generally we depart at 8AM, usually about a 45-55min lunch. Stop ever 45 mins for about 10 mins. Start point is Waterfront at New Liskeard (NL) (Tim Shores).  Nights: Timmins, Chapleau, Dubreville, Hearst, Cochrane, NL.

Traffic was light this year. Two other saddle bag groups we bumped into most nights. (Traffic was very light leaving Hearst at -39c Thursday morning, no 8AM start without the indoor sled parking (up to $12 per sled this year)

2020 Fuel Cost.JPG

2020 Route Trace.JPG

24 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

For those considering what the fuel logistics are for a 6 day riding tour, here is some info on 4 stroke Yamahas. (Our group has done a version of this tour for 20 years when available.) Just completed it this year, same as 2018 except for excluding the Canyon between Hearst and Cochrane this year. (4 stroke Yamaha Vectors (3), 1 Viper, and 1 Venture. Yes, none started Friday morning in Cochrane at -34. Had them running by 9:30AM, learned a couple more tricks.) Generally we depart at 8AM, usually about a 45-55min lunch. Stop ever 45 mins for about 10 mins. Start point is Waterfront at New Liskeard (NL) (Tim Shores).  Nights: Timmins, Chapleau, Dubreville, Hearst, Cochrane, NL.

Traffic was light this year. Two other saddle bag groups we bumped into most nights. (Traffic was very light leaving Hearst at -39c Thursday morning, no 8AM start without the indoor sled parking (up to $12 per sled this year)

2020 Fuel Cost.JPG

2020 Route Trace.JPG

Would you consider sharing your  learned "couple of more tricks" for getting Vectors started in the real cold?

Why don't you install the Kat's heaters on the bottom oil pan and the front of the block like I have detailed under the Tech area of this forum.  I have seen so many people tearing apart Vectors, Vipers, and Side Winders because they are to lazy or too cheap to install $50 worth of heating pads and carry a 3 meter extension cord.

Just now, Big Pussy said:

Why don't you install the Kat's heaters on the bottom oil pan and the front of the block like I have detailed under the Tech area of this forum.  I have seen so many people tearing apart Vectors, Vipers, and Side Winders because they are to lazy or too cheap to install $50 worth of heating pads and carry a 3 meter extension cord.

X2 

And not just 4-strokes. I've seen Doo 800's with hair dryers warming the engine in the morning because the owners office arms can't pull it over at -30C.

Here is the link to save the search.  Read it ALL to the end where you will find the picture of the heater and box it came in.

https://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16697-yama-cat-viper-7000-cold-starting-issues/&tab=comments#comment-224509

58 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Would you consider sharing your  learned "couple of more tricks" for getting Vectors started in the real cold?

In the Tech Corner:

Yamaha 4 Stroke Cold Start Tricks

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

never a good thing when they dont start

Edited by barberch

My ZR 6000 will start at that temp with no issues as long as the battery (agm) is in good condition. But then again its a 2-smoke and no crank case oil to push through.