706 trail in Glen Alda closed?

Dragon600

Heading up to Coe Hill tomorrow from the south and wondered why the 706 that heads east off Chandos is closed. 
I know that area fairly well and that the trail runs along Winters Bay rd and the 504  so I’m wondering if the lake in that area isn’t good??? 
if anyone has an idea why let me know. 

It's an old Hastings trail.  Not Paudash.  Probably best to call the club.  I doubt there is any ice issues.  The stake line is in from what I know.  Chandos is late to freeze, but once its froze it is very safe to ride.

The main trail on Chandos has been staked. The bridge across the Crowe River on Hwy 504 is under construction & the road is closed thru there detouring on the Old Gelen Alda Rd. I think the trail crossed the river using this bridge. I've only run it a coup;e of times over the years. 

5 hours ago, signfan said:

It's an old Hastings trail.  Not Paudash.  Probably best to call the club.  I doubt there is any ice issues.  The stake line is in from what I know.  Chandos is late to freeze, but once its froze it is very safe to ride.

Actually if it's a 7## trail it would be Stoney Lake's responsibility. OHSR grooms the 931 from TOP E to CR620. Not sure if they go west to CR 504.

4 hours ago, signfan said:

That bridge makes sense.  It will be closed all winter.

I didn't think the trail crossed the ice on the river.

Revrnd is right, it's a Stoney Lake trail.  Normally, it crosses a road bridge over the Crowe River but that bridge is being replaced so the trail and the road is out of action there.

That being said, the club has created a re-route which goes from Glen Alda (at the Bordertown Café), alongside of Highway 620 west for about 1km and then south about 2km on Glen Alda Road and re-joins the trail at Winters Bay Road.  There are a couple of "Follow Road to Trail" signs on the re-route.

The lake trail through Winters Bay is not staked this year but the other Stoney Lake trail on Chandos is staked and it gets a lot of traffic.

As long as there's snow on the side of Highway 620, the re-route is not too bad.

• Thanks 1

Thanks All. 
We ended going west to Apsley around Jack Lake instead of east into Coe Hill. 
I must tell you the E107 up from Havelock, 746 & 707 were in really good shape. Freshly groomed and real tight. Actually had the scratchers down. Started at our farm in Stirling 230km in total. Got the kids on the bus and got back just in time to get them off the bus 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dragon600 said:

Thanks All. 
We ended going west to Apsley around Jack Lake instead of east into Coe Hill. 
I must tell you the E107 up from Havelock, 746 & 707 were in really good shape. Freshly groomed and real tight. Actually had the scratchers down. Started at our farm in Stirling 230km in total. Got the kids on the bus and got back just in time to get them off the bus 

The trail E107 uses south of Apsley is more conducive for better grooming even though it sees less snow. 

You would passed the turnoff to our woodlot about 5 miles south of the village.

I was past the lake 'intersection' & it's not marked.

The situation of 706 being closed for the season & how it's being handled appears different than how part of A103 has been 'disappeared' from the ITG. That is supposed to be closed 'for the time being' due to LUP issues & construction.

• 3 months later...
On 2/14/2020 at 3:07 PM, signfan said:

No it crosses on the bridge which explains why it's closed.  I expect it won't open this winter 

It will be interesting to see what happens this coming winter. Bridge project has ground to a halt. Apparently when they started pouring cement for the deck, the steel support beams started to sag. There is still about 16' of deck to complete & there is no equipment on site. Looking along the steelwork, you can see the 'droop'.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

It will be interesting to see what happens this coming winter. Bridge project has ground to a halt. Apparently when they started pouring cement for the deck, the steel support beams started to sag. There is still about 16' of deck to complete & there is no equipment on site. Looking along the steelwork, you can see the 'droop'.

If they where pouring cement they were off to a bad start.Concrete is usually used in that application.

5 minutes ago, gtserider said:

If they where pouring cement they were off to a bad start.Concrete is usually used in that application.

You know what I mean, toolies don't play in that stuff LOL

Just now, revrnd said:

You know what I mean, toolies don't play in that stuff LOL

My cottage neighbor was Joe Primeau  of Maple Leaf hockey,kid line fame. He owned Primeau  Argo block.I could only get the center line tickets if I used the correct term. It stuck with me.

• Haha 1