Pricy Carbides

revrnd

I've been buying carbides since the 80s. A cardboard box to hold 2 'blades' & 2 nuts?

20200211_143646-1.thumb.jpg.cbb72094e6a7387818706562525e088b.jpg

No wonder they're so expensive.

Also not really sure of the need for the host material to be hardened when the inserts protect against wear. A carbide scriber will barely scratch the surface.

Any idea how long a patent lasts before an outside vendor could produce them?

54 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I've been buying carbides since the 80s. A cardboard box to hold 2 'blades' & 2 nuts?

Also not really sure of the need for the host material to be hardened when the inserts protect against wear. A carbide scriber will barely scratch the surface.

Normally 10 years I believe. 

17 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

Make them  l will place an order Revrnd .

Me too at about $145 a pair from ski-doo I am always looking for an alternative 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

Make them  l will place an order Revrnd .

I could probably copy the 'blade' out of CRS & run a bead of hard weld along the bottom. I'm not sure if my skills in silver soldering would be very productive in attaching the inserts, (if I could source them).

45 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Normally 10 years I believe. 

The patent # is US20150314800A1 but I could not find any other info on the patent using the US patent search web site

Edited by Muskoka Bill

6 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Me too at about $145 a pair from ski-doo I am always looking for an alternative 

As Ricky from Trailer Park Boys would say, "It's not rocket appliances". 

I'm sure any of the other traction companies could offer them in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the patent.

1 hour ago, Poo Man said:

Buy some snowtrackers:-)

Only thing I put on my sleds ,makes them run straight 

• Like 1

HA. Try pricing out bergstrom triples for a sidewinder .. its practically a car payment.

Try buying a belt for a polaris 800/850

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Poo Man said:

Buy some snowtrackers:-)

My wife has a 2016 Blizzard 900 ace. She could never find the correct adjustment on the ts skis. 

My friend convinced me to install semi-aggressive carbides on her ride. She just loves them. It's like having power steering in all conditions. No more adjusting, no more fusing... She can steer with a single hand. No darting. They are worth the money. Set your front track shock at 80 to 90%, lightens the ski pressure and enjoy the power steering.

No more ts skis in this household. Great on paper, not so much in application. 

10 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

Don't think Snowtrackers are compatible with Pilot TS skis.

Yes they are, but you lose the adjustability. However thank goodness you lose the adjustability.

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

8 inch Woody's duellys was half of my truck lease payment lol

:o

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Try buying a belt for a polaris 800/850

But there are aftermarket choices arent there?

10 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

Don't think Snowtrackers are compatible with Pilot TS skis.

I have read that there is an aftermarket carbide that fits the TS Pilot but are in a fixed position.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

:o

But there are aftermarket choices aren't there?

Junk !!

1 minute ago, soupkids said:

Junk !!

I've never bought aftermarket belts. Weighing the longevity vs the cost of the Bombi/BRP belts over the years & I've had no complaints.

Up to this sled, I've used Woodys carbides which were cheaper than the 'doo offerings. No wear issues to my untrained eyes.

me and my wife love are TS skis   adjust for conditions is great ,   we do not find darting issues and I have 6000km on mine and her sled has 11,000km    and they are still fine  shape,   only had to shim skis from get go, set toe, and set snowmobile up for riders weight.    I find to check this stuff as my dealer never does and is always off.        I have had one set of snow trackers on a Yamaha I owned one time, ya they where great one hand steering but found I could never back up and turn around on any type of loose trail without spinning /trenching and getting stuck. on a super hard pack road/trail yes you could. for that reason I will stay away.      I also tried the 7" plus the extra .25"  ts carbides on my sled when it was brand new never tried  the stock except maybe for a quick rip around home, but changed them and went north,  found they where to much and put stock back on, the 4 stroke does not need the extra bite .      i will not complain to much on price they last for us.  " just my 2 cents."

I guess considering how long they last, it all comes out in the wash. Maybe BRP realizes they aren't selling as many (& a captive market) so they can pad the price?

18 hours ago, revrnd said:

Rev, you could easily make those in your shop, could you not remove the worn carbide and solder in new inserts?

1 hour ago, snapper said:

Rev, you could easily make those in your shop, could you not remove the worn carbide and solder in new inserts?

The problem might be the inserts. Machining inserts nowadays are indexable & retained w/ a very small screw on a holder. Even the cheap soldered on lathe carbides don't resemble the sled inserts.

I imagine it could be doable.

Mind you I did see pics of a pair of destroyed TS carbides (ski was euchred too) that had no evidence of having carbides... Nobody could believe it was possible to do that much damage. Owner never did give a 'straight' account as to what happened...