Ride Your Side

revrnd

An interesting article about a local (well kind of) initiative that hopefully take hold.

https://intrepidsnowmobiler.com/ride-your-side/amp/

I saw examples of this last weekend. Snow since the last grooming & 2 feet of untouched trail beside the groomed edge.

Thanks for crediting MLSC members with the original sign. 

I much prefer it to the "meh" replacement. 

19 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Thanks for crediting MLSC members with the original sign. 

I much prefer it to the "meh" replacement. 

I think the original sign was too busy to be effective. I don't mind the new one. 

So how come, when it comes to safety warnings, we mostly hear about speed and impairment? But staying to the right of the trail? Not as much.

I think we've all been griping about it over the years, but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I think it was theorized that if the OFSC didn't mention it, there wasn't a problem...

Original is more eye catching, and thought provoking, just my opinion. 

The new one is too easily dismissed as noise. 

I have seen several of these signs around district 6 and it is nice to see them. I am interested in seeing the effect they might have.  Easy to read and understand so should work.

I have so ofter enjoyed the right edge by carving the groomer lines that most miss by cutting the shortest path between corners.  I like to take advantage of these unused portions and believe people do not know how to set their sleds up for optimal handling.

I think these signs will make a difference! Time will tell.

• Like 2

The signs are a good reminder and worth a try, but does anyone here honestly think it’ll help? I hope so but if people don’t have enough sense to stay right through a corner or over a blind hill is a sign really gonna change their riding behaviour? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, sinc71 said:

but does anyone here honestly think it’ll help? 

Hopefully but I feel the same as you. 

• Like 1

Saw a few of these new signs through Mattawa, Missing Link, North Renfrew, S Renfrew and Maple Leaf areas last week. I thought that they were effective. I think that they could become "noise" if placed too close to other signage, but where I saw them I thought the placements were appropriate, and I admit to getting complacent at times. 

13 hours ago, Toyman said:

...  I like to take advantage of these unused portions and believe people do not know how to set their sleds up for optimal handling.

It is really unfortunate that many people don't set their sleds up to steer when all the manufacturers provide the necessary adjustment points to do so. I have exchanged sleds with friends for short test rides only to find that their sleds don't turn properly above crawling speed.

• Like 1

The blanket statement about the middle being the most beat up = safety - I disagree with. 

If you can see that there is no-one coming - then Shirley the center is the safest.

Staying there - or worse - cutting the corners on blind hills and corners is the problem.

Blanketing the problem is [almost] as bad as the problem it'self.

That's as bad as saying that 50 klicks is the safe speed everywhere.

Edited by Ox

45 minutes ago, Ox said:

The blanket statement about the middle being the most beat up = safety - I disagree with. 

If you can see that there is no-one coming - then Shirley the center is the safest.

Staying there - or worse - cutting the corners on blind hills and corners is the problem.

Blanketing the problem is [almost] as bad as the problem it'self.

That's as bad as saying that 50 klicks is the safe speed everywhere.

Corners are the biggest issue-people cheating on left hand turns!

8 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

Corners are the biggest issue-people cheating on left hand turns!

I understand that.

The issue is not left of center, it is overdriving your line of sight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

almost got wiped put by a couple of sleds south of dorset. Asshats. 

took a good swing at the third guy. 

Up in Quebec last week some guys coming @ me on straights wud stay in middle even tho I was tight to the right!

Yeah, well a trail hog is another subject.

I had a Deputy on my side of the centerline on slushy roads last night.

I was riding north bay trails a few days ago and a group of 5-6 other sleds approached going quite fast on a straight away. They were ALL riding the middle of the trail, almost as if they were all blatantly in on it. After the first guy passed and the second came up I came to almost a complete stop with my right ski ON the edge of the trail and the rest of them came within 2-5 inches of our skis touching on the left side. I gave them all the WTF hands as they passed by and considered chasing after them. Not sure what goes through some peoples minds but if I had a child or something with me I would have been extremely ticked.

Edited by atventure
  • Sad 1

I have posted this in the North section before I'm sure, but since most of you never followed that board:

Many years ago me and my chum were riding the hydro N of Halfway with 2 of our young boys. 

A fella came up behind (that we now ride with occassionally) and was playing too.

We got up to the warm-up shank @ Bauparlante Rd, and the new fella realized that his BIL was not anywhere to be seen.

We left the boys at the shack, and meandered back to see where the other fella got to.

Finally we found him just 1 or 2 sled lengths off the trail, as he tried to follow us.... (not usually a good idear)

But he was just off trail - but at the bottom of a small hill, so we parked our sleds well past the hill, and maybe even half off the trail.

We could hear machines coming on, and they had a head of steam. 

We all made sure to be out of the trail as they came on....

Must'a been maybe 6 of them?

Every one of them - except maybe the last guy - got air (like maybe 30') over the knoll, and of course in the middle.

Fortunately only the next to the last (wife) grabbed brake in the air, making the last guy have to take the bush when he came down.

Had the folks up front grabbed brake - it could have been a Schidt show!

We help drag him out of the bush, and I don't recall anything being said between any of us, but he was chewing on his wife for shutting it down...

I will cut them a wee bit'a slack tho:

While they couldn't see us on the other side of the hill, and we Shirley wouldn't had stopped there under normal conditions, had there been oncoming traffic, they would have seen them further up the trail long before getting to the knoll. Oncoming {moving} traffic would not have been hiding down in the swell for any length of time.

We were a bit concerned for the kids, but Shirely they wouldn't have rode on past if anyone was hurt....

And besides, there was a 90* turn right there anyway* so they wouldn't have been going fast. 

With that said - D trail heading N to Wawa is not the best place to be on Sunday.

That is a southbound day!

* Not that we ever turn there, but the groomed trail does. :D

Edited by Ox

23 hours ago, Ox said:

I will disagree with this center safest statement Ox.  I always believe if you consistently ride tight to the right then you have no steering ajustment when you meet oncoming sleds. All your focus goes to reducing speed and signaling only, with no tricky last second steering corrections. I believe if you adjust your speed to match your ability to hold tight right, especially on left turns, then you're truly in control of your sled and riding the safest.

I know my style of riding is precision control with speed, not taking the fastest line corner to corner like many others.  I like to take advantage of the full width of the trail and utilize the full value of my right side only trail pass.  I didn't get the pass that others seem to have bought that allow crossing back and forth all over the trail.

The majority of the trails I travel are tight and twisty with so many blind corners and hills that I'd estimate conservatively 500 on a typical days ride.  I believe if you sometimes travel the center and cut corners, then you get comfortable with being there and think you can see oncoming traffic and won't get surprised.  If you're never there then you can't be in the wrong position, ever!

I also believe if everyone rode their side, even on the rail beds and fields then the center would not get hammered by every sled and extending the trail surface 50% longer.

Only one close call yesterday on the B coming from Pembroke heading to Barry's Bay.  Lead had lightning quick reflexes and adjusted but second was wide eyed and stuggling. There was so much more trail for them to use but I was the first sled they met.

I pride myself on being in the safest position when I ride which I'd estimate at 95% of the time.  I have only had to move over more than 5" a handful of times in all my riding over the last 8 yrs.  I think the majority of occasional riders shift to oncoming traffic more than that each time their out!  Not acceptable!  

I hope I see more of these "RIDE THE RIGHT" signs around. It's a clear and (the most) important message!

Time to hit the trails again now, with my wife this time.

See you on the other side of the trail please.

• Like 1

Mr Pink Bunny ....I too had three close calls on the same stretch of trail ( south of Dorset) in the span of 30 minutes on this past saturday!   I just don't understand the mentality of some who come around corners either way too fast or not in control (or both).  Isn't it obvious when the oncoming lead sled comes around a sharp corner on one ski that he ( or she) is going too fast ?

Like others above, I ride tight to the right 90% of time.  It scares the hell out of me when that's still not enough and I'm forced to ride one ski off the trail to avoid getting hit!

Sometimes I get lucky and the lead sled gets by, but then comes the "rabbits" behind him trying to catch up and in even less control !  

I applaud the effort by clubs adopting the "Ride Your Side" awareness sign ....I can only help .... I really hope it does ...stupidity needs to end 

• Thanks 1

I forgot that I had seen 1 of the signs last May when I was between Mackey & Algonquin Prov' Park @ a camp.

1346408752_20190519_204248RideYourSide.jpg.2d37cb335efd2fc855412af5d4d3f7ea.jpg

I had never seen 1 before and wasn't sure what was up w/ them.