Warning to you guys with "cans"

GrizzlyGriff

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

Before supplying coverage, at least one insurer (Monnex Meloche), asks whether the snowmobile has been modified.

They just want insurance coverage to revert back to stock.

40 minutes ago, slomo said:

Thanks for the stats - my pipes are within spec:

pipes.mp3

PIIIIPES!

PIIIIPES!

Wait 'till the kids in the Chevy's see these pipes!

They'll say "OH WOW - LOOK AT THOSE PIPES!"

@4.45 if you're in a hurry, but it's the best 12 minutes you'll spend all day!

Notes available https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/200_M.P.H.

2 hours ago, Ox said:

In any particular sense?

I have added a rack on mine, and I plan to add a cpl power leads yet.

My old sled has a "new" (not BRP) tunnel under it.

I added a 16 x 16x track.

I put dual ring pistons in it.

I put an aftermarket head on it. 

I pulled the internal crank seals and drilled the case.

I put those fancy powder pre-filters on it.

I made my own replaceable radius rods.

I put scratchers on it.

more I'm sure....

The motor mods are in line with durability.

What concern is it for insurance?

Now if we bought a 500F/A and stuffed a blown 900 under the hood, then that would seem to be of concern.

???

I'm thinking there are two reasons in Ontario. First they may want to know what they are insuring to establish value. Secondly, they may not want to insure modified sleds.  

Talk to your automobile insurer about modified vehicles.

They can deny a claim if your tire size isn't what came on the vehicle from the factory.

You can REALLY get in deep doo-doo for the smallest mod if it isn't declared. 

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I'm thinking there are two reasons in Ontario. First they may want to know what they are insuring to establish value. Secondly, they may not want to insure modified sleds.  

Or older sleds...

Ontario needs to treat pipes like Quebec. 

If they hear you or catch you your day is over.  

On the free weekend we traveled almost 700km and went through 4 spot checks.   5 Quebec sleds and 5 Ontario sleds.  All had mirrors.  Only 1 SIdewinder was sort of hassled because of the small mirror stuck on the sled.  He got a well I will let it go but next time have a proper mirror.

when we unloaded at our buddies cottage one guy from Ontario had a pipe on a brand new renegade 850.  As soon as the French guys heard it they were almost panicked and all thought for sure at some point the guy would get a fine and be on a tow truck home.  The guy made it through the checks as we rolled through easily I guess because of our age and all being  Touring riders all with big bags loaded with stuff.  The pipe was obnoxious to listen to but at low speeds it was no louder then stock.  

We we did see a bunch of young looking guys with older sleds and modified risers pulled over in the spot checks.  Some had hoods up.  Was there a profile the police were looking for?

My my point is most of the Quebec locals are not running any pipes or cans.  They all know the cost and have friends towed home with the $1,000 fine.  Heavy fines and consequences work.

Edited by Sksman
Wording
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

"The pipe was obnoxious to listen to but at low speeds it was no louder then stock. "

Is an added mirror "modifying" the sled?

Edited by Ox

I dont see why a standard cant be set for the suppliers to meet and get a certification sticker ( think DOT for tires, helmets etc ) if the can has the tag welded to it its met the legal requirements and thats that. Off road pipes or cans? No tag, ticket the idiot if hes on a trail.

Its not that complicated.

I dont like the spot check for no reason thing though. My wifes family were whisked off to the Gulag never to be seen again by police with too much power and yes some of you are laughing at that comment thinking something about how ridiculous etc etc etc but let me tell you the police there didnt hold elections on getting this power, the people willingly went along with random stops at first, then random paperwork checks, then random house inspections to check for illegal things reported by "someone" who sources cant be revealed during an ongoing investigation and then BAM, rights gone, off to the gulag you go and NO WRITTEN HISTORICAL RECORDS OR ACCOUNTABILITY by the state. Its all hush hush the state is super great and everything is better blah firggity blah.

DONT give up freedoms even if you dont like them, work around giving them up to the LAW and find a smarter way forward

Edited by crispy
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ox said:

"The pipe was obnoxious to listen to but at low speeds it was no louder then stock. "

Is an added mirror "modifying" the sled?

I guess it depends how you classify modifying.  It’s classified as a safety issue in Quebec I believe. 

Is a monster sticker or racing type stickers a mod?   It will help you get looked at in a spot check I believe.

I enjoyed riding in Quebec and I believe they have a pretty good system.

I added factory mirrors to my sled.

Most of the group had factory mirrors.

The guy with SIdewinder bought the sled Thursday and was riding in Quebec Friday.  His mirror was not my choice and skirted the issue.  Maybe he will add better mirrors.

3 minutes ago, Sksman said:

His mirror was not my choice and skirted the issue.  Maybe he will add better mirrors.

So what was his last minute mirrors that seemed to pass ?

I have put a pair of handlebar mounted motorcycle mirrors on two sleds to try out to see how they work.  One pair is bent farther to be lower and wider.  I will see if they pass.

6 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

So what was his last minute mirrors that seemed to pass ?

I have put a pair of handlebar mounted motorcycle mirrors on two sleds to try out to see how they work.  One pair is bent farther to be lower and wider.  I will see if they pass.

He had a small mirror stuck on his left cowling.  Just below his handle bars.   I do not know if he could actually use it or see in it but it was there.

A couple of the Quebec guys thought he might get a ticket.    

Most mirrors work until muffs go on the handlebars.  Then the view is usually blocked.  I have mirrors on the inside of my windshield that work good until the muffs go on.  So I now have 4 on my sled.

Edited the topic title to reflect the actual issue as per TD's comment.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever seen 'real world' dyno results (not advertising chatter) comparing the HP achieved w/ the stock muffler & a can?

I'll be even more BLUNT!

Hey can manufacturers WAKE UP and innovate rather than wait to be regulated, create the standard by researching legal DB requirements and get out in front of these issues before Gov't or law enforcement needs to be involved. Market that your products meet legal DB requirements  and show off the tag YOU CREATE before someone creates it for you etc etc etc.

Snell is simply a family who lost a son to a crash they blamed the crappy helmet for his death on. They created a standard, pipe guys ought to be doing the same considering all the flack these damn things are causing the entire sport

• Thanks 1

In the world of Mountain machines - like my chums 174 that I mentioned earlier - I'm sure that is all aboot weight loss more than anything.

And THAT is a good thing, as the un-insulated cans then take out the plastic recoils on Doo's, and I git to sell yet another upgraded recoil set-up!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Talk to your automobile insurer about modified vehicles.

They can deny a claim if your tire size isn't what came on the vehicle from the factory.

You can REALLY get in deep doo-doo for the smallest mod if it isn't declared. 

Insurance companies have entire buildings full of people whose only job is to figure out a way to deny your claim.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Sksman said:

Ontario needs to treat pipes like Quebec. 

If they hear you or catch you your day is over.  

My my point is most of the Quebec locals are not running any pipes or cans.  They all know the cost and have friends towed home with the $1,000 fine.  Heavy fines and consequences work.

What's working in Quebec is enforcement. They have a good thing going, and have no intention of letting a few A-ho's ruin it for everyone else.

I've never HEARD of anyone getting hassled for speed, but just try sledding without a pass or insurance or license. Or an unsafe or obnoxious noisy sled.

Chances are HIGH that you're going to get nailed. And prosecuted.

Problem solved. By the clubs, mostly.

It's what we're going to wish we did. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 2/6/2020 at 1:13 PM, revrnd said:

And you're a sledder! Imagine what a non-snowmobiler thinks...

This ^^^^^

And lets face it, the demographic that seeks this added attention doesn't come here.

Edited by Puggz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

This ^^^^^

And lets face it, the demographic that seeks this added attention doesn't come here.

They're over on Faceplant...

:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, revrnd said:

They're over on Faceplant...

:rolleyes:

The pro can guys are brutal on facebook.

• Sad 1

Just now, thetorches said:

The pro can guys are brutal on facebook.

Sad isn't it? Pretty much why I stay away from most of the sledding pages over there 'cept for the club ones.

• Like 1

I heard at least 5 sleds with cans today.

That sign is right in the back of my yard. My neighbour has it there now that he is retired, or close to it, he is home a lot more and it bugs the hell out of him. I'm a bit further from the hydro line than him but I do here the cans when I'm outside. Some will smash it going right past that sign. There a lot of real ignorant people out there. I have a tune on my 9000 but with the stock exhaust for this very reason. No extra noise with it at all. Its about as high as you can go without playing with the exhaust. 

• Like 1