Look out on East side Algonquin?

andreyboater

My body and I decided to make RAP tour next Friday, we did it last time 4 years ago, this time we are starting form Parry Sound and going counterclockwise. Question is where is look out on East side, I know it's close to Mattawa but not sure where exactly, also if any other nice place to visit. Thanks  

48 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

My body and I decided to make RAP tour next Friday, we did it last time 4 years ago, this time we are starting form Parry Sound and going counterclockwise. Question is where is look out on East side, I know it's close to Mattawa but not sure where exactly, also if any other nice place to visit. Thanks  

If you are going into mattawa for gas you can take the trail north of the A. The lookout and the mine are on that trail. You can’t miss them.  

Thanks, I remember mine on trail but I missed look out, may be need slow down.:grin:  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Thanks, I remember mine on trail but I missed look out, may be need slow down.:grin:  

If camp canawago is open when you go through (on north end of talon lake trail bf201) they have great food. Great spot to stop, I prefer it over dinner bell. They have high octane fuel too. 

• Thanks 1

The lookout is close to Mattawa but is very easy to miss.  From my flawed memory,  if you drop down to a level swampy area, you have just passed it. (Helpful, right :lol: ) As you are riding the higher part of the trail through a wooded section, there is a small wider area off to the right.  You need to walk a bit further off the trail to actually see the view.

• Haha 1

Good info.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Good info.

X2

Even though I had been thru North Bay a few times over the years, it wasn't until friends moved there in '99 that I heard the hill called Thibeault Hill.

Good to know

Heading to Mattawa area next week (Monday) and staying at the Golf & Ski Club for 3 nights.

First ride for me this year since returning to the great white north this week, I will definitely put the lookout and mica mines on our itinerary.

6 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Good to know

Heading to Mattawa area next week (Monday) and staying at the Golf & Ski Club for 3 nights.

First ride for me this year since returning to the great white north this week, I will definitely put the lookout and mica mines on our itinerary.

Mines cool. Bring a flashlight though. 

On 2/4/2020 at 8:20 AM, Strong Farmer said:

If camp canawago is open when you go through (on north end of talon lake trail bf201) they have great food. Great spot to stop, I prefer it over dinner bell. They have high octane fuel too. 

They do.  But be aware the restaurant is closed Tuesdays and Wednesday’s. 

The Dinner Bell also has awesome food but be aware they are closed Mondays and Tuesdays.  

18 hours ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

They do.  But be aware the restaurant is closed Tuesdays and Wednesday’s. 

The Dinner Bell also has awesome food but be aware they are closed Mondays and Tuesdays.  

Just to be clear...the Dinner Bell Restaurant is indeed closed to the outside public on Mondays & Tuesdays, but on those 2 days serves dinner and breakfast to sledders staying in their motel rooms.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple pics from our RAP trip. East side of Algonquin trails was awesome. A little bit chilly on Friday start -33C in a morning but overall nice 4 days trip and 1000km on odometer. 

Resized_20200215_085436_5710.jpeg

Resized_20200215_085500_468.jpeg

Resized_20200215_085358_297.jpeg

Resized_20200215_081052_5745.jpeg

Resized_20200216_124412_3995.jpeg

• Like 2