2020 Great Big Loop/Northern Blastoff

revrnd

Sounds like a great trip! Thank you for the report and pics.

Irrev, where’s the pic of you sitting on your next sled? Lol...

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, infernobuster said:

Irrev, where’s the pic of you sitting on your next sled? Lol...

I made a deal with Harold...he promised to delete that one from his phone...  :wink:

• Haha 1

For those of you who may be interested in doing this loop next season, I can PM you my trip log to give you an idea of the distances & riding times involved.

Motorhead:

Had to assist police with a stuck sled call to 911 on day 3. Older couple stuck on trail. Drifting and blowing snow that day and missed turn.

That was a concern of mine when it became apparent that I'd be running solo from Timmins to SRF. Only met 1 group (a couple of small groups headed south @ the highway) as I rode north. Nobody caught up to me (TD & Evil weren't in the neighbourhood).

All I needed to do was stuff it into the snow, pointed in the wrong direction...

26 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Motorhead:

That was a concern of mine when it became apparent that I'd be running solo from Timmins to SRF. Only met 1 group (a couple of small groups headed south @ the highway) as I rode north. Nobody caught up to me (TD & Evil weren't in the neighbourhood).

All I needed to do was stuff it into the snow, pointed in the wrong direction...

I was watching for you Revrnd. We left SRF about 2 PM.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I was watching for you Revrnd. We left SRF about 2 PM.

:right_on:

I was eating lunch in Cochrane LOL When I stopped @ the Greenwater shack A friend from Apsley had signed in earlier in the morning. Talking to him yesterday, he said his trio had probably met me. He didn't know I was in the area.

41 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Motorhead:

14Snow and I have not been stuck more times, then we where on the C trail from the warmup shack to SRF, man oh man what a ride. Glad you never had to ride it when we did, by yourself..

IMG_8454.jpg

Edited by TURBO DOO

Just now, TURBO DOO said:

14Snow and I have not been stuck more times, then we where on the C trail from the warmup shake to SRF, man oh man what a ride. Glad you never had to ride it when we did, by yourself..

IMG_8454.jpg

:eek:

That does not look fun. That's 70 klicks! I imagine the cocktails were welcome in Kap.

I know from breaking the trail into our woodlot, that the Buzzard is limited in it's trail breaking abilities (likely better w/ the 2 stroke versions). That being said irREVerent & I took the lead on the Beardmore Loop to 'spread' the trail a bit since it hadn't been groomed since the last snow. There were a few eastbound tracks. Only 1 "Oh crap!" moment when I got a bit too far off the 'edge' of the trail. A 'bit more throttle' LOL & all was good.

1 minute ago, revrnd said:

:eek:

That does not look fun. That's 70 klicks! I imagine the cocktails were welcome in Kap.

I know from breaking the trail into our woodlot, that the Buzzard is limited in it's trail breaking abilities (likely better w/ the 2 stroke versions). That being said irREVerent & I took the lead on the Beardmore Loop to 'spread' the trail a bit since it hadn't been groomed since the last snow. There were a few eastbound tracks. Only 1 "Oh crap!" moment when I got a bit too far off the 'edge' of the trail. A 'bit more throttle' LOL & all was good.

On our past trip, the one you seen us on, i never in my life boondocked more then we did the Thursday and friday. 20kms out from the waterfront inn we got stuck. Then on C north from the warmup shack to SRF, we got stuck twice, and once in the L123.  We actually had to turn around on the L123, and call it a day.  We had enough for 1 day...Heres a pic from the L123 on the Friday before you seen us..

20200228_155152.jpg

It was flat last week Turbo. They were starting to get it ready for your upcoming ride.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

On our past trip, the one you seen us on, i never in my life boondocked more then we did the Thursday and friday. 20kms out from the waterfront inn we got stuck. Then on C north from the warmup shack to SRF, we got stuck twice, and once in the L123.  We actually had to turn around on the L123, and call it a day.  We had enough for 1 day...Heres a pic from the L123 on the Friday before you seen us..

20200228_155152.jpg

Talk about the look of dejection in that pic!

There was a bit of drifting by those fields, but we've seen worse thru there (mind you nothing like that). Those drifts remind me of E108 between Port Perry & Burketon when it gets windy...

7 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Talk about the look of dejection in that pic!

There was a bit of drifting by those fields, but we've seen worse thru there (mind you nothing like that). Those drifts remind me of E108 between Port Perry & Burketon when it gets windy...

We were going to continue on to opasatika, then back to kap where we were staying for the night,  but decided we had enough boondocking for the day..

1 minute ago, TURBO DOO said:

We were going to continue on to opasatika, then back to kap where we were staying for the night,  but decided we had enough boondocking for the day..

"discretion is the better part of valor"

That folks is the educational portion of the program LOL

Revrnd,  a few more pics from our trip.

1st pic

Me following a fishing hut, being pulled by a can am on tracks just east of Val-Gagne. 

2nd pic

Top C north of Timmins. 

3rd and 4th

A111C into Timmins. 

5th pic.

Top C north of Timmins. 

6th Pic. Where A trail comes out to Hwy 11, just south of Machphersons Esso. Where we first experience Hwy 11 closed. Pic courtesy of a Northern Ontario trucker..

20200309_210315.jpg

20200309_210605.jpg

20200309_210624.jpg

20200309_210650.jpg

20200309_210706.jpg

IMG_8419.JPG

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

Revrnd,  a few more pics from our trip.

1st pic

Me following a fishing hut, being pulled by a can am on tracks just east of Val-Gagne. 

2nd pic

Top C north of Timmins. 

3rd and 4th

A111C into Timmins. 

5th pic.

Top C north of Timmins. 

6th Pic. Where A trail comes out to Hwy 11, just south of Machphersons Esso. Where we first experience Hwy 11 closed. Pic courtesy of a Northern Ontario trucker..

IMG_8419.JPG

Great pics. Hwy 11 was closed last Feb' when we getting ready to leave NL. My buddy was stuck in it northbound. Last Friday he avoided the closure as he was southbound out of Cochrane. As it was he didn't get out of there until 6 PM, I met him by the A crossing.

• Like 2