2020 Great Big Loop/Northern Blastoff

revrnd

Anyone spot whats wrong w/ this picture?

20200305_114309-1.thumb.jpg.8e30df47080ae4f0a3fb2a2a7307affe.jpgI think the speed limit sign is out of place on that straightaway. I think Turbo Doo would probably multiply that by 2.

• Haha 2

Conditions good all the way from Cochrane to North Bay. Fresh snow up to New Liskeard.

Stopped @ Sand Dam Road

20200306_124607-1.thumb.jpg.37a881fdad362593d9f67bd30b788880.jpg

6 hours ago, snapper said:

Anyone spot whats wrong w/ this picture?

20200305_114309-1.thumb.jpg.8e30df47080ae4f0a3fb2a2a7307affe.jpgI think the speed limit sign is out of place on that straightaway. I think Turbo Doo would probably multiply that by 2.

Try and follow OC member Evil thru there. You better be minimum at the C note in MPH or your done..:rotflmao:...

Can't wait for Friday night in Hearst again next week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

Try and follow OC member Evil thru there. You better be minimum at the C note in MPH or your done..:rotflmao:...

Can't wait for Friday night in Hearst again next week. 

Challenge accepted.. lol

• Haha 2

Beauty of a 7 day ride done.. 

thanks to all for the invite and the laughs along the way..

final kms was I believe 2050 kms.

amazing conditions minus some road running ( which destroyed a carbide) .. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, infernobuster said:

Good to have you along. Where was the road running? I know the road west of Val Gagne (Ford dealer's locale) looked 50/50 when I drove by today.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Good to have you along. Where was the road running? I know the road west of Val Gagne (Ford dealer's locale) looked 50/50 when I drove by today.

If you ran north from Elk lake, there is some not soo pretty road running this year on A, after crossing the river. 14Snow and I were lucky with tons of new snow, but when warm and sun is out, it will be brutal..And the A108 from liskeard north, has some road running north of engelhart, that will be brutal now the sun is stronger..

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

Screenshot_20200307-080859_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200307-080841_Samsung Internet.jpg

The road on A coming into Elk Lake from the north was just OK yesterday. A couple of sunny days would finish it. Getting to the fuel depot in Elk Lake was actually tougher as the streets were bare.

There is a 5 km. section of logging road on the A south of the 108 that is very heavily sanded and although the groomer had tried to groom the snow bank it hadn't worked too well. I would expect that with the sun today it would be a brutal ride. Otherwise from Timmins to Liskeard was an awesome ride yesterday with the exception of a few bumps between Matheson and Raymore. Nice way to finish the smoothest 5 day 1700 km. ride we have ever had in the Liskeard to Hearst Corridor.

10 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The road on A coming into Elk Lake from the north was just OK yesterday. A couple of sunny days would finish it. Getting to the fuel depot in Elk Lake was actually tougher as the streets were bare.

There is a 5 km. section of logging road on the A south of the 108 that is very heavily sanded and although the groomer had tried to groom the snow bank it hadn't worked too well. I would expect that with the sun today it would be a brutal ride. Otherwise from Timmins to Liskeard was an awesome ride yesterday with the exception of a few bumps between Matheson and Raymore. Nice way to finish the smoothest 5 day 1700 km. ride we have ever had in the Liskeard to Hearst Corridor.

Glad to hear.  Fuel is also available at Elk lake eco center or elk lake wilderness resort...easier when in town is bare..

On the wildlife sighting front I saw 4 lynx a couple of miles south of the SRF/Cochrane split.

Then on Fri' an otter ran across the highway in front of me south of Powassan.

No transports on the trails, but near Sundridge they were cleaning up a wadded up Bison trailer. No sign of the truck.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, revrnd said:

The road running Infernobuster was referring to is the 5 kms of plowed logging road on the A (southwest of Kirkland Lake), as mentioned above by PLC...when we did it Thursday afternoon, it was already brutal -- a mix of slush, mud, sand and fist-sized rocks which were hard to avoid. Can't imagine what it will be like after a couple of sunny mild days. How on earth the "powers that be" considered it to be rated as green on the ITG is beyond me.

• Sad 1

On 3/6/2020 at 10:04 PM, infernobuster said:

Beauty of a 7 day ride done.. 

thanks to all for the invite and the laughs along the way..

final kms was I believe 2050 kms.

My final tally from the GPS tracker was 2077.  It was great to have you along.

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Met one of your friends in the parking lot at the Westway when we arrived last night.  Said that we missed you by a day.

• Like 1

PLC, what was your rig? I had my Buzzard in the back of the blue regular cab Silverado.

Had an interesting exchange Thurs' night w/ a chap about the usefulness of Faceplant...

9 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Met one of your friends in the parking lot at the Westway when we arrived last night.  Said that we missed you by a day.

Yes, I heard that Bear Necessities had met you. We had finished our ride in Liskeard when you arrived at the Westway.

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

PLC, what was your rig? I had my Buzzard in the back of the blue regular cab Silverado.

We were using my buddies black High Country quad cab and 30' black / red Legend trailer. It was left right beside the trail  at the north end of the Econolodge lot. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We were using my buddies black High Country quad cab and 30' black / red Legend trailer. It was left right beside the trail  at the north end of the Econolodge lot. 

OK I was thinking you were staging from Cochrane.

It was a great trip and thanks to all who came along to make it memorable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2020 at 10:06 AM, skidooboy said:

technical difficulties with the house christmas lights, for your beacon. garage and barn are lit. house only has half a string. #10 rue des pins. half way between hotel and gas bar. cant miss us. dont have much selection for beer, so BYOB :D  Ski

LOL Obviously I didn't have any problems finding your place.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

It was a great trip and thanks to all who came along to make it memorable.

Backatchya, SJ...thanks again for putting it all together.  :right_on:

Since revrnd left the group and headed for Cochrane Thursday,  I'll finish off the group's report with tales of our last 2 days, accompanied by some pics. 

After saying goodbye to revrnd, the rest of us (sledjunk, Moosifer, Infernobuster, yours truly, and my buddy Harold from upstate New York) continued on with our original itinerary, going east out of Timmins and ultimately heading for Gowganda via Val Gagne, Matheson, Ramore and Elk Lake. Two of us made a brief stop at Mikey's (local 'Doo dealer) on the way out of town, while the other 3 went on ahead.  Beautiful trail conditions...

1499939053_img_4083(1280x960).thumb.jpg.440d1cad92a1beb564d0d78d0418620e.jpg

Unfortunately, after a gas top-up at Matheson, SJ blew a belt before the planned lunch stop at Ramore, and it took almost an hour to clean up the carnage and get back on the trail...

1583030682_img_4084(1280x960).thumb.jpg.b0eb2baa9dbc68c623e186a95264c0ea.jpg

Then a late lunch at Rolly's in Ramore, which was still busy with sledders and locals, even though it was well after 1 PM by the time we arrived.  We didn't get out of there until after 2:30, and still had almost 200 kms to go...so we made very fast time down A past the KL turn-off and down the power line toward Elk Lake on primo trail conditions, which turned to sh*t when we got to the plowed logging road mentioned previously in this thread.  After 5 kms of picking our way through the stones, mud puddles, sand, mud and slush, and a brief rest, we picked the pace up again through the twisty section of A north of Elk Lake, only to run into yet another plowed road for logging a few kms north of town.  In need of fuel, we went to the EL EcoCentre, and by the time we got out of there, it was 5:30 and very overcast, with dusk fast approaching.  A half-hour later it was completely dark, and as leader, I slowed our pace somewhat in an effort to keep the group together and avoid any blown corners in the pitch black. After meeting a groomer near Gowganda, we finally rolled in to our night's destination at Gowganda Lake Lodge just before 7 PM...tired and hungry, after a 360 km day.

2078143420_img_4098(1280x960).thumb.jpg.b35dccf43b19fedd865fe006c690f94b.jpg

We were treated to Ron & Giselle's usual friendly hospitality, including an awesome home-cooked meal of lasagna, salad, garlic bread and dessert (delivered right to our cabin) after we'd had time to check-in and relax. Sleep came fairly soon after polishing off that feast.

Our 7th and last day dawned cold and sunny, with a few cms of fresh snow having fallen overnight.  After a hearty breakfast, we packed up and headed out, aiming for lunch in Timmins on our way to the trip's end back in Cochrane.  The fresh powder snow provided a perfect complement to the recently-groomed trails underneath, and we made good time through the twisties along A106C to L143. Conditions were perfect, with the colder temps and brilliant sunshine, so lots of pics were taken as we headed north up the power line on 143... 

60166833_image1(1280x960).thumb.jpg.d60d42e77dc309fee0b576bc4211fd29.jpg

1292307203_img_4105(1280x960).thumb.jpg.9652dd08903fc14679370075e237413f.jpg

978326235_img_4115(1280x960).thumb.jpg.2228e28fbd4c8f6a63655e40fbabcfe9.jpg

703095866_IMG_20200306_110541(960x1280).thumb.jpg.fe6a19512101d412518b182615c7b908.jpg

433029914_IMG_20200306_110552(1280x960).thumb.jpg.d2b8e84f7a8a9ff5568ef4f3f7388ffc.jpg

After lunch at Mike's in Timmins (beside the Bon Air), SJ and Mossifer headed off to the local Yammie dealer to pick up a part, while the other 3 of us went directly north back to Cochrane...a good chance for Infernobuster to let his Sidewinder "stretch its legs" (non, nod, wink, wink...) on the power line, and ditto for Harold's 900 turbo.  We three arrived at the Westway mid-afternoon after a near-perfect day on the trails, and the other two came in about an hour later.  Of course, we had to stop for a few pics by the Cochrane trails sign, before loading up at the motel and getting ready for the long drive back home yesterday.  I had a total of 2,049 kms on my sled's tripmeter at the end of a great week's trip.

2088312822_IMG_20200306_152847(1280x960).thumb.jpg.c90c7d24e69c29eb8d1f2b59046a5bd8.jpg

1697993363_image0(1280x960).thumb.jpg.35ef573de2cb2e4b0fb23b3fc666f9b9.jpg

• Like 5