Port Sydney green trails

Muskoka Man

Thought I would get a early Jump on the rush and ride the open trails .gas station in port Sydney was packed by 9 am .crossed Mary Lake to see fire department at groomer building bring out a burnt sled from trail .guy went into corners a bit fast I guess .turned around to head back to safety at home and met guys one after another coming into corners sideways ..there is going to be more trouble by Sunday night I'm sure .this crazy stuff has to stop 

IMG_20200201_094505.jpg

IMG_20200201_101121.jpg

IMG_20200201_094510.jpg

Thanks for posting Muskoka man, and for reminding me why I like to ride midweek. 

Never riding on trail again on a weekend ,my bad 

Thanks for sharing your pics and experience from Saturday morning.  Unfortunately, none of it positive.  Sled fires+ sleds cornering sideways + fire trucks= Crazy !

Between your warning(s) in the Mary Lake area, Groomer failures in both the Highland Rovers (Emsdale area)  & along the Hydro lines from Halliburton to Whitney and the Swamp wash out near Baysville ...I'm running out of destinations to go this coming Saturday ( Feb 8th)!!!!!

Coming from East of Bracebridge...I'm not sure which direction I can sled ?  

1 hour ago, JGG6 said:

Thanks for sharing your pics and experience from Saturday morning.  Unfortunately, none of it positive.  Sled fires+ sleds cornering sideways + fire trucks= Crazy !

Between your warning(s) in the Mary Lake area, Groomer failures in both the Highland Rovers (Emsdale area)  & along the Hydro lines from Halliburton to Whitney and the Swamp wash out near Baysville ...I'm running out of destinations to go this coming Saturday ( Feb 8th)!!!!!

Coming from East of Bracebridge...I'm not sure which direction I can sled ?  

Drop in Kinmount and head south into Kawartha lakes, Twin Mountains and Buckhorn clubs, Trails have been very good to excellent for the most part. 

I rode around Dorset this past Sat and other than some of D101B that is being logged, trails were good, feeder trails were better and traffic was not bad with the majority of those that I cross paths with, riding with respect for others.

East across 117 & stage at Raven lake that is always a good start, head across Raven, pick up trail 64, than 68, onto Kawagama, on 64 again (bear lake rd), 65 to d101B, head North (hit small section of logging), cut across Oxtongue and keep going North on d101B.....usually pretty good conditions.

The wolf/crown loop is usually great as well with very little traffic, but due to logging this year, not an option....

Dwight is a good stop for lunch with a few options to pick from, usually not as busy as Dorset.

Yukon / Stoney :  Thanks for your ideas on places / directions to explore .   If i Had time i'd try all of your recommendations !

These forums are great for just these purposes .  Getting advice, insight and recommendations.

Stoney: The logging on D101B you're referring to... is that indicated on the Interactive Map as the section where D101B meets Livingstone lake road (beside McFadden Lake) and north for what looks to be 2.5KMs?...OR is logging occurring in another section of D101B? 

4 hours ago, JGG6 said:

Yukon / Stoney :  Thanks for your ideas on places / directions to explore .   If i Had time i'd try all of your recommendations !

These forums are great for just these purposes .  Getting advice, insight and recommendations.

Stoney: The logging on D101B you're referring to... is that indicated on the Interactive Map as the section where D101B meets Livingstone lake road (beside McFadden Lake) and north for what looks to be 2.5KMs?...OR is logging occurring in another section of D101B? 

That is exactly where they are logging on d101b....as you get on the trail off of livingstone lake rd, that you run on for a couple hundred feet (it is the Yellow section).....which leads to trail 67 and NE from there (which is Red....).

Stoney : Thanks for confirming the logging section on D101B.  Would you happen to know the condition of D101B where it uses the road Camp "Billy Bear" is on?  If memory serves me correctly it is stretch of trail when you share the road for about 5kms.  In the past this section can be challenging when the snow is "thin" .  I'm contemplating heading from my my cottage east of Bracebridge to the "Ice Caves " east of sand lake to check them out ....never been there before .

10 hours ago, JGG6 said:

Would you happen to know the condition of D101B where it uses the road Camp "Billy Bear" is on?  If memory serves me correctly it is stretch of trail when you share the road for about 5kms.  In the past this section can be challenging when the snow is "thin".

I rode that section of D101B today with BFB on our way from Port Sydney to Kearney. (Had lunch with Snowchopper at the Fork on the Trail !)

The road was "ok" but not great - - covered with ice along both banks, with a skiff of fresh snow from today. I could hear my left ski hitting the road occasionally, in places where the ice strip was too narrow to accommodate both skis, but 99 percent of the time my skis were running on snowy ice.

...or...I may be thinking of one of the other roads we had to utilize today. In a nutshell, the road-running was tolerable.

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- 25 tonight in the skokes. Going to hit the trails from port sydney to baysville for a early morn run and back home for lunch .hot soup maybe the choice 

• Like 2

Seen the groomer out on the west side as i pulled off the hwy at smiths tonight

• Thanks 1

Yup,groomer was out doing his thing.these trails will be green real quick I'm sure

IMG_20200208_093357.jpg

IMG_20200208_091543.jpg

IMG_20200208_091539.jpg

• Like 1

Nice.

I won't see those nice trails until Monday.

20200208_121955.jpg

Weekend chauffeur duty.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear what exactly happened at the beach today? Bunch of police and fire when we rode by around 11:30, i was told someone got hit by a sled. Not sure if they fell off and got hit, or they were just out walking. Nothing on the local news about it. Hope they're ok. 

New snow coming and some cold coming .wifey is leaving to see in laws for the weekend .going to put a few Ks on around port Sydney area and maybe some 80 series in the du ya wanna area

That will be excellent running.

I spent a fair bit of time in the area Monday (first photo - excellent trail conditions, with marginal road sections)

20200224_110503.jpg

and also a couple of hours this morning (second photo - good remaining base after the warm up, with horrible road sections).

20200226_093108.jpg

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JGG6 said:

which beach are you referring to ? The Beach are on Mary Lake ( Port Sydney) .....

Yes

I'll be out for a ride tomorrow morning checking things out. Probably venture further. Both groomers were out this afternoon, east and west sides.