Trail L143 Timmins to Gowganda

Big Pussy

Do you recall the mileage from A107C to Timmins on the L143?

Do you recall the TIME it took from Timmins to A107C ?

5 hours ago, tricky said:

Do you recall the mileage from A107C to Timmins on the L143?

I just checked the ITG & it's 118 klicks from the A107C to the Bon Air may vary a bit depending if you have to loop around the city to your final destination.

• 2 weeks later...

Did L143 Friday Feb. 14th from Comfort Inn in Timmins to Auld Reekie.  on the trail for 3 hrs. for 155 Km.  Drove in to Auld Reekie and 12:30 PM for lunch.  It was -28c in Timmins when we left.  Arrived at the Econo Lodge in New Liskear at 5:30 PM.  We found the Econo Lodge to be really econo in fixture, fittings, and room heating.  The Super 8 in Kirkland Lake was much like Denis described it.  Breakfast eggs were like rubber.  The eating area was so cold the cooking ladies wore their winter coats.  Walked down Government Road two traffic lights to the Sports Bar for supper in cold wind and snow.  Outside the Super 8, we found some young New Canadians had cut across the parking area from Tim's to the Super 8 and had high centered on some curbs under the snow with their BMW.  The front drive wheels had 6" of clearance to the pavement and they expected us to push them off while a couple sat in the car.  They did not have boots nor did they have winter coats and hats.  I asked where they were from and got Toronto.  All I could think was these people are going to die in Kirkland Lake.

Dave K, I saw you buddy Perry along with a buddy from Atwood signed the book at Auld Reekie on Thursday 13 th.

BP

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Did L143 Friday Feb. 14th from Comfort Inn in Timmins to Auld Reekie.  on the trail for 3 hrs. for 155 Km.  Drove in to Auld Reekie and 12:30 PM for lunch.  It was -28c in Timmins when we left.  Arrived at the Econo Lodge in New Liskear at 5:30 PM.  We found the Econo Lodge to be really econo in fixture, fittings, and room heating.  The Super 8 in Kirkland Lake was much like Denis described it.  Breakfast eggs were like rubber.  The eating area was so cold the cooking ladies wore their winter coats.  Walked down Government Road two traffic lights to the Sports Bar for supper in cold wind and snow.  Outside the Super 8, we found some young New Canadians had cut across the parking area from Tim's to the Super 8 and had high centered on some curbs under the snow with their BMW.  The front drive wheels had 6" of clearance to the pavement and they expected us to push them off while a couple sat in the car.  They did not have boots nor did they have winter coats and hats.  I asked where they were from and got Toronto.  All I could think was these people are going to die in Kirkland Lake.

Dave K, I saw you buddy Perry along with a buddy from Atwood signed the book at Auld Reekie on Thursday 13 th.

BP

Try the Microtel Inn and Suites next time. I think 14Snow has us booked there in a week or so,  ill try and doo a report with pics...

Edited by TURBO DOO

25 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

Try the Microtel Inn and Suites next time. I think 14Snow has us booked there in a week or so,  ill try and doo a report with pics...

Comfort Inn in KL is fine but maybe a bit pricy.

BP, how was access to the Comfort Inn in Timmins? SJ, irREVerent & I rode over to check it out (stopping by the McIntyre). It looked like it could be iffy should the access 'street' be bare.

2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

BP, how was access to the Comfort Inn in Timmins? SJ, irREVerent & I rode over to check it out (stopping by the McIntyre). It looked like it could be iffy should the access 'street' be bare.

Comfort Inn on the east side of Timmins access is OK.  Go over the bridge at the Bon Air and follow the trail behind the businesses.  You go behind the Esso station, cross a side street then go behind the Super 8.  Keep going behind the car dealer lot across from the Comfort Inn.  Wait and wait and wait until you get the chance to scratch across 4 bare lanes of 101 to the Comfort Inn.  You have to drag your luggage in the front door,.

• Thanks 1

Was in that area last weekend.. next time I will support Gowganda lake lodge, they seem like great people and fuel was $.30 Cheaper a litre for premium than the place less than a km away.. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Comfort Inn on the east side of Timmins access is OK.  Go over the bridge at the Bon Air and follow the trail behind the businesses.  You go behind the Esso station, cross a side street then go behind the Super 8.  Keep going behind the car dealer lot across from the Comfort Inn.  Wait and wait and wait until you get the chance to scratch across 4 bare lanes of 101 to the Comfort Inn.  You have to drag your luggage in the front door,.

Should just stop at the Super 8 and save the carbides. The trail behind the Super 8 is L27. The road (side street) you cross before it is Highway 655 that goes north to Hwy 11.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Should just stop at the Super 8 and save the carbides. The trail behind the Super 8 is L27. The road (side street) you cross before it is Highway 655 that goes north to Hwy 11.

Our thoughts were that the Super 8 in Timmins would be fine if passing thru on sleds. I went up the hill to it & the parking lot looked like a complete 'crap show' w/ rigs parked every which way.

39 minutes ago, WinderFab said:

Was in that area last weekend.. next time I will support Gowganda lake lodge, they seem like great people and fuel was $.30 Cheaper a litre for premium than the place less than a km away.. 

Ron and Giselle run a great spot. I have to agree with you there...

20190228_132653.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The Super 8 is where we always stay.  No problem with the parking lot and Casey's is right there.  Our motel booker had a brain fart and I did not catch it.  He never screws up but maybe getting old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TURBO DOO said:

Ron and Giselle run a great spot. I have to agree with you there...

20190228_132653.jpg

We have been sledding and atving with Ron And Giselle for years now ,have brought up lots of buddies up with us and they all return ,they have a great spot there and work very hard to make sure everyone is happy 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

We have been sledding and atving with Ron And Giselle for years now ,have brought up lots of buddies up with us and they all return ,they have a great spot there and work very hard to make sure everyone is happy 

Not only are they great people (their kids help out too), but the cabins are great, they have gas right there, a general store with a LCBO on site, and the meal plan is top notch especially the dinners. And there is a lake view.

17 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

The Super 8 is where we always stay.  No problem with the parking lot and Casey's is right there.  Our motel booker had a brain fart and I did not catch it.  He never screws up but maybe getting old.

Stayed at Super 8 Sunday Feb 9th. Day 1 of the 6 day trip on the Northern loop. We have stayed at the Super 8 for 20 years if trip stops in Timmins. At 5PM, 2 of our 3 rooms were not ready for check--in, ok apparently had 61 rooms check-out that day. Issue I have was that hotel only seemed about quarter full that night! Shouldn`t be hard to focus on getting the rooms completed that are scheduled that night.

Then, found out that Casey`s next door, isn`t open on Sunday`s any more. We walked to Swiss Chalet.

As one of our group had to return to Timmins with a failing jack shaft bearing, and spending 3 nights at the Travelodge, that may be the spot going forward.

We stayed @ the Travelodge in the past. A bit tricky getting there but ESM next door and Fishbowl down the street.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 7:07 PM, revrnd said:

We stayed @ the Travelodge in the past. A bit tricky getting there but ESM next door and Fishbowl down the street.

Just read that Travelodge dropped $1M into renovations in to the hotel. Our guy stuck there for three days agrees access not as easy as Super 8, but since Casey's is closed on  Sunday's, and that tends to be the day where Timmins sits on our trips, time to change. (And I go way back with the Super 8, 2008 - first BRP 600SDI blown piston (Day 1). Sitting in the Super 8 lobby watching everyone else leave..

IMG_2128.JPG

• Haha 1

Ran down from Cochrane into Timmins then down the L143 to Gowganda then over to New Liskeard yesterday. 430kms in 8hrs. Conditions were absolutely perfect!!  Saw Sledjunk and crew heading north mid way!

Edited by RAMSOMAIR

22 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Ran down from Cochrane into Timmins then down the L143 to Gowganda then over to New Liskeard yesterday. 430kms in 8hrs. Conditions were absolutely perfect!!  Saw Sledjunk and crew heading north mid way!

Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat.  We ran from Gowganda to Cochrane via Timmins to end our 7 day excursion.

10 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Just read that Travelodge dropped $1M into renovations in to the hotel. Our guy stuck there for three days agrees access not as easy as Super 8, but since Casey's is closed on  Sunday's, and that tends to be the day where Timmins sits on our trips, time to change. (And I go way back with the Super 8, 2008 - first BRP 600SDI blown piston (Day 1). Sitting in the Super 8 lobby watching everyone else leave..

IMG_2128.JPG

Doing your Hef impersonation in your jammies?

On 3/7/2020 at 10:54 PM, revrnd said:

Doing your Hef impersonation in your jammies?

Nice. Funny. Ya, the babes are holding the curtain on the other side. Bad skill photographer. :-) (That was Family day weekend. - I posted in failures how I managed to meet up with the group days later at Hearst.) John was the only smart Yamaha guy then, now we are all Yamaha guys. (RIP John, (blue coat) you're always missed.)

• Like 1