New Liskeard to Cochrane

4mysled

Hoping to Start off heading north tomorrow afternoon, needing to get the trailer either fixed or a new one first. I am taking my son, 17 year old,  for a few days,. Our plan as of today is 

Tue Jan 28, drive and stay the night in Liskeard

Wed. Jan 29 sled to Kirkland lake, approx. 150KM due to trail closures, 

Thurs. Jan 30 sled to Cochrane approx. 200KM 

Fri. Jan 31, stay in Cochrane and hopefully do the Canyon 

Sat. Feb 1, back to Kirkland lake for the night

Sun Feb. 2, sled back to Liskeard and home. 

Any suggestions on  places to eat or things to see would be greatly appreciated. This is the last year before my son goes to University and he wants to do the canyon. Any idea of the price of gas at the base camp, want to ensure I have enough cash on hand to get me back to the hotel. we are staying at the westway in Cochrane as I have read some good things about it. Our hotels are booked, So again any does or don'ts would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to meet a lot of good people , all of our trips in the past the people have made the trips great. 

• Like 1

Have a good trip, I was sledding in Cochrane last week and the trails are in great shape, (the odd logging road detour west of Cochrane on A) , gas is $3.00 per litre at base camp, hotdog is $5 , perhaps by the time you are there the west side may be open. The fellow running the base camp will tell you the west side is open but it is still red at the top. Either way the east side is a great ride.

• Like 1

on your way to Cochrane coming through Iroquois Falls Stop in at Rosalea's great little lunch spot, good food right on the main drag of town. Have a great time and enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

Agree with Nunz, Rosalies is a great little spot.  Liskeard to Kirkland,  i would run Elk lake way, using Top A. Northern Delight or Rollys restaurant in the Matheson/Raymore area are good also. Dare you to ride 50km/h on the hyrdro line out of Iroquois falls. :ph34r::baghead:. Ice Hut/ JRs/Terrys Steakhouse in Cochrane for meals imo. Timmies next to Westway for Breaky.. Maybe see you guys around Thursday.  Check your PMs..8-)

Edited by TURBO DOO
  • Like 1

if you want to save  a bit of cash go up to smooth rock, fill and then only 70k to base camp. or go long way up, throw half a tank it and hit smoothies in smooth rock for lunch. New Liskeard to Cochrane is doable in a day depending how fast you are. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know it this is a little late. Our trip was great, met a lot of great people. We met Good and Evil our first night in Cochrane, fantastic ladies. Saw sledjunk on the trail at the Elk Lake bridge by the time I realized who it was he was well and gone. Trails were nothing but amazing all around. Our first night was a drive up to Liskeard, stayed a the quality inn, bit of a disappointment. Kirkland was a first sled day ride, great ride and was a good way to get our feet wet for our first ride of the season. We ordered pizza, 2 hours to get it. The next night was in Cochrane, at the Westway. Nice little hotel, went out for dinner at JR's. The next day was the day trip up the east side to the Canyon and back. FANTASTIC day, saw 2 sleds all day. It is a shame that that the west side was not opened. Had dinner at Terry's, good place to eat. The next day was the ride back to Liskeard, much to my sons dismay at it was a long day, but trails were excellent all the way in. Stayed at the Econo Lodge, then on the Sunday back home. Turbo Doo, sorry did not get over to introduce ourselves, maybe next time. 

1 hour ago, 4mysled said:

I know it this is a little late. Our trip was great, met a lot of great people. We met Good and Evil our first night in Cochrane, fantastic ladies. Saw sledjunk on the trail at the Elk Lake bridge by the time I realized who it was he was well and gone. Trails were nothing but amazing all around. Our first night was a drive up to Liskeard, stayed a the quality inn, bit of a disappointment. Kirkland was a first sled day ride, great ride and was a good way to get our feet wet for our first ride of the season. We ordered pizza, 2 hours to get it. The next night was in Cochrane, at the Westway. Nice little hotel, went out for dinner at JR's. The next day was the day trip up the east side to the Canyon and back. FANTASTIC day, saw 2 sleds all day. It is a shame that that the west side was not opened. Had dinner at Terry's, good place to eat. The next day was the ride back to Liskeard, much to my sons dismay at it was a long day, but trails were excellent all the way in. Stayed at the Econo Lodge, then on the Sunday back home. Turbo Doo, sorry did not get over to introduce ourselves, maybe next time. 

No problem.  After hanging out with Evil and Good, they told me you guys seen each other.  Next time for sure..:right_on:

12 hours ago, 4mysled said:

Was good meeting you guys too!