Where Did You Ride Today?

revrnd

Hope it all works out for you SJ, I know how frustrating stuff like this can be.  Sorry to hear it mucked up your existing trip and the upcoming one.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

The speedo on the Yamaha is a electronic pickup at the end of the shaft.  If the bearing starts to fail, the pickup gets intermittent and then fails as well.  This did not happen on mine, hence my suspicion that it is the chaincase side that is the issue.

When my buddy's Apex puked the bearing, initially him & my brother fell behind. When we stopped & they caught up, I asked what the problem was. He said the display was throwing codes but neither of us asked anything else.

Then we get to TOP C north of Capreol & he says more codes & the speedo (stopped displaying/fault/I don't recall). I got down on the snow & touched the axle. Insert very bad word here. Sure enough the bearing had burned up.

Probably 3 hours into a week's trip. Likely the 1st ride of the season for him. Add to the fact he's not mechanically inclined...

Not the 1st sled of his screw the pooch early in a trip. '02 we left New Liskeard & the chaincase seal went on his SRX700 before we got to the Earlton airport...

:banghead:

Rode in the Ganaraska today from 115/35 split. Loop trails were awesome but main trail E108 was choppy. Then rode over to Port Perry clubhouse and back. Trails on west side of 35 all the way over were perfect!

Edited by barberch

You must have to leave a dense number of breadcrumbs for that kind of trail! :o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barberch said:

Rode in the Ganaraska today from 115/35 split. Loop trails were awesome but main trail E108 was choppy. Then rode over to Port Perry clubhouse and back. Trails on west side of 35 all the way over were perfect!

Thats cool. Put on a few kms. PPSC trails are in great shape.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, revrnd said:

Not the 1st sled of his screw the pooch early in a trip. '02 we left New Liskeard & the chaincase seal went on his SRX700 before we got to the Earlton airport.

Preventative maintenance...................It amazes me the number of people that just get on and ride without checkin nuttin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally able to ride from the cottage in Wasaga (Allenwood beach) today.  Also switched it up and gave the Thundercat the weekend off lol.  Took the old F8 out today, her first trail ride of the year, she did about 10km about a month ago road bombing around the block.  I know F chassis Cats were not the most popular but I love this sled, my first brand new machine and she still looks just as good.  The Viper also had its first ride of the year, but gave me all kinds of headaches starting to pull it out of the trailer.  Ended up going to the marina for a boost.  Once she started she ran well.  My brother who lives in the US is coming home to ride in a week and a half and again in 3 and half weeks and will be using the Viper.  Wanted to put her through her paces to make sure all is good.  Sorry for my novel on to the trails.... which were actually pretty good this morning, much more snow towards Midland.  Made it out to Beausoleil Island and one of my favourite trails in Penetanguishene the 304.   
DE6ED9E2-0F09-44DD-9E01-1763C3F9ED6A.thumb.jpeg.f9866e456fbe4fe437f602ec770f4d42.jpeg
288E1C6E-5806-4F79-B28C-E4D022120CAB.thumb.jpeg.4592ad48ab43fcc0cdc34aa69b5fed30.jpeg

AEDBF4A2-BC94-4C7F-9E19-3A8B65AABA51.thumb.jpeg.dcdc43663a67ca7d6e8bc2c220eb5dd9.jpeg

C719C1EF-54A5-4970-8AAD-223B3AB53638.thumb.jpeg.ab424db62631aef3900f4618d6eba4f1.jpeg

Edited by Arctic JC
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, whits-end said:

Preventative maintenance...................It amazes me the number of people that just get on and ride without checkin nuttin.

When his brother asked him about PMing the SRX, he replied it was difficult as you had to remove the pipes to check the chaincase...

:icon_doh:

Seen a few F cats this season on the trails.

15 minutes ago, Arctic JC said:

Finally able to ride from the cottage in Wasaga (Allenwood beach) today.  Also switched it up and gave the Thundercat the weekend off lol.  Took the old F8 out today, her first trail ride of the year, she did about 10km about a month ago road bombing around the block.  I know F chassis Cats were not the most popular but I love this sled, my first brand new machine and she still looks just as good.  The Viper also had its first ride of the year, but gave me all kinds of headaches starting to pull it out of the trailer.  Ended up going to the marina for a boost.  Once she started she ran well.  My brother who lives in the US is coming home to ride in a week and a half and again in 3 and half weeks and will be using the Viper.  Wanted to put her through her paces to make sure all is good.  Sorry for my novel on to the trails.... which were actually pretty good this morning, much more snow towards Midland.  Made it out to Beausoleil Island and one of my favourite trails in Penetanguishene the 304.   
DE6ED9E2-0F09-44DD-9E01-1763C3F9ED6A.thumb.jpeg.f9866e456fbe4fe437f602ec770f4d42.jpeg
288E1C6E-5806-4F79-B28C-E4D022120CAB.thumb.jpeg.4592ad48ab43fcc0cdc34aa69b5fed30.jpeg

AEDBF4A2-BC94-4C7F-9E19-3A8B65AABA51.thumb.jpeg.dcdc43663a67ca7d6e8bc2c220eb5dd9.jpeg

C719C1EF-54A5-4970-8AAD-223B3AB53638.thumb.jpeg.ab424db62631aef3900f4618d6eba4f1.jpeg

Looking good..:right_on:

21 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Seen a few F cats this season on the trails.

I must have seen 5 or 6 today alone.  Was surprised to see so many 

2 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

Few more pics from todays Shelburne to Owen Sound area ride...

20200215_142050.jpg

20200215_142113.jpg

20200215_144436.jpg

20200215_151852.jpg

20200215_152029(0).jpg

Looking good too!!  Especially the last 2 :right_on:

57 minutes ago, Arctic JC said:

Finally able to ride from the cottage in Wasaga (Allenwood beach)

Your real close to me, I'm on sunward drive8-)

15 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

Your real close to me, I'm on sunward drive8-)

I’m on Allenwood drive.  I passed your street 4 times today on the way to and back from the trail.  Really nice to be able to sled from here, hopefully the trails stay open for a little while longer. Maybe we can get out for a ride sometime :D

37 minutes ago, Arctic JC said:

I’m on Allenwood drive.  I passed your street 4 times today on the way to and back from the trail.  Really nice to be able to sled from here, hopefully the trails stay open for a little while longer. Maybe we can get out for a ride sometime :D

Yea for sure! Next week and a half looks great weather wise. 

9 hours ago, Ox said:

I'm not sure what I'm lookin' at here? 

It doesn't appear to be an actual bridge?

Per the bearing - I don't think that I've ever lost a lower one before that I can think of. I always re-use them - but I would Shirley spin them by hand to check of course. 

This is of course if I had it out to change tracks... And of course if the outside seal still looked good...

With that said - we don't run at speed for long like you guys, so that prolly makes some diff too?

Also - as was said above aboot rust on the upper - this must be in machines with synth oil.

I run way-lube in my chaincases. I find it to be much better!

As I have a machine shop - I have the stuff in 55 gal barrel, and not sumpthing that y'all are likely to pick up at Canadian Tyre I wouldn't think.

But it is essentially a higher end bar and chain lube. (chainsaw)

It has sticky properties - and wants to spider-web when you dip your fingers in it and than pull them apart.

I blew a chain* on my [then new] '02 Doo and was not happy with what I found inside. 

Next time I had it apart I filled with waylube and the next time I took it apart it looked like brand new.

* That track ratcheted terrible when off trail, and now it has Wahl extrovert drivers.

The chain broke from ratcheting.

It’s a floating bridge across a river in Bracebridge,sled club puts it in for the season then takes it out in the spring 

Did port Sydney and baysville this morn all clubs had their parts groomed up 

IMG_20200215_123221.jpg

IMG_20200215_120539.jpg

IMG_20200215_091427.jpg

IMG_20200215_110747.jpg

IMG_20200215_092159.jpg

• Like 2

some content

Edited by Ox

8 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

It’s a floating bridge across a river in Bracebridge,sled club puts it in for the season then takes it out in the spring 

To whoever might know more aboot this:

How does the water not pull it downstream?

Especially at break-up?

What if a big winter rain storm?

I'm guessing that as it is right there, that there is very little flow, but if it swells - I would think that it could rip it out easilly. 

???

Intrigued by the engineering part of it.

2 minutes ago, Ox said:

To whoever might know more aboot this:

How does the water not pull it downstream?

Especially at break-up?

What if a big winter rain storm?

I'm guessing that as it is right there, that there is very little flow, but if it swells - I would think that it could rip it out easilly. 

???

Intrigued by the engineering part of it.

There is cables from upstream holding it it place from ice flow just can’t see them and it is of course attached to shore at both sides ,club has been using it for years now ,it is a floating bridge with pontoons and goes up and down with floods