Where Did You Ride Today?

revrnd

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

a group on my motorcycle racing forum ride from the keys to the bahamas on jet skis, every year. like sledding on open water. we could do it here too. any large river/lake system with no dams, or portages, we could ride town to town. Ski

25 yrs ago there was a story in Michigan Snowmobiler (?) or it maybe it was in some Polaris magazine (?) about two recently retired guys that had taken Jet Ski's (Polaris) on a big loop I think.

I think that they started at Chi-Town and rode over to and down the Mississippi, then down the Fla coast to Key West, and then I think they came back up the east coast and back up to the Great Lakes, either via the Erie Canal (prolly?) or maybe The St Lawrence. I don't recall that part anymore, but I'm pretty sure that they completed the loop.

I always thought that something like that, or - a ride to Churchill like some fella's doo, or something like that would be so much fun/interesting/bragging rights...

Back in (I think) 2008 we planned to ride to Moosonee, up the coast, and back down the Albany. Starting and ending in Hearst. Prox 700 miles - mostly all on waterway. 

There was a chance that we would ride up to Attawapiskat to see what that looked like before much of the mine traffic effected it. 

However - with heavy sleighs in tow - we burnt down 2 motors before we got anywhere.

Apparently we should have adjusted our needles up a bit as the steady throttle must have been right in that lean spot.

Came home with tail between legs. 

Not to try aggin with less than fuel infection, or preferably 4 stroke, but I don't see the 4 stroke thing happening, unless I buy one just for that run...

Edited by Ox

Ox, the Trent Canal links Lake Ontario & Georgian Bay. I live about 20 minutes north of the Burleigh Falls locks. 

Last Sept' I was in Peterborough on my bike & was talking to a woman on their boat as the lock filled & raised them to the upriver height. They were on the way to Chi-town. Another day I saw 4 US boats @ the Youngs Point locks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ox said:

25 yrs ago there was a story in Michigan Snowmobiler (?) or it maybe it was in some Polaris magazine (?) about two recently retired guys that had taken Jet Ski's (Polaris) on a big loop I think.

I think that they started at Chi-Town and rode over to and down the Mississippi, then down the Fla coast to Key West, and then I think they came back up the east coast and back up to the Great Lakes, either via the Erie Canal (prolly?) or maybe The St Lawrence. I don't recall that part anymore, but I'm pretty sure that they completed the loop.

I always thought that something like that, or - a ride to Churchill like some fella's doo, or something like that would be so much fun/interesting/bragging rights...

Back in (I think) 2008 we planned to ride to Moosonee, up the coast, and back down the Albany. Starting and ending in Hearst. Prox 700 miles - mostly all on waterway. 

There was a chance that we would ride up to Attawapiskat to see what that looked like before much of the mine traffic effected it. 

However - with heavy sleighs in tow - we burnt down 2 motors before we got anywhere.

Apparently we should have adjusted our needles up a bit as the steady throttle must have been right in that lean spot.

Came home with tail between legs. 

Not to try aggin with less than fuel infection, or preferably 4 stroke, but I don't see the 4 stroke thing happening, unless I buy one just for that run...

my latest "dream" is to put my foot in lake superior at wawa (sandy beach), then ride cross country, to james bay and stand on the ice. need some big help though. trying to get Denis, marc g, excited about this... you in?

my thought is, one workhorse sled with supplies, spares and fuel. we all take turns riding it, and our own sleds. that way no one gets stuck riding the "tanker".  Ski

• Like 3

I seem to recall watching a story on Snowtrax (when Big John was involved) about riders ventured a long ways north of the Corridor. This was independent of the trips between Fraserdale & Moosonee.

35 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I seem to recall watching a story on Snowtrax (when Big John was involved) about riders ventured a long ways north of the Corridor. This was independent of the trips between Fraserdale & Moosonee.

Looked like a decent season for the rides to Moosonee, from posts and pictures ive seen. Thought a bit about doing it next season.  Our chat with Kenny Johnston from PBR riders in Cochrane this year, at the super 8 in timmins, was very informative about the trips, quides around.  I know Bill Froud is still leading the ones from the Abitibi Base Camp. Something to ponder..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, revrnd said:

Another day I saw 4 US boats @ the Youngs Point locks.

Dream of mine to take a family boat trip one way to the in-laws in Florida starting from here in Wasaga, visit then fly home. Wife says to wait until we retire but I think it would be a very unique memory for the kids.

https://www.captainjohn.org/GL-ICW2.html

• Like 1

Been there, done that in 2009. That's me second from left.

1239591020_184MoosoneeGroup.thumb.JPG.7596568f6be8b58569f09c1bd8e25d3a.JPG

• Like 7

I've been to Moosonee on the train a long time ago, but not since.

Marc G had a WT last I knew.

Yeah, maybe.

You thinking heading north from Ernies?

I know Marc runs that, and I hope to try that one day too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, revrnd said:

Several yrs ago a group from Mich sleighed up and made a loop up over Lake Nippigon.

Is that what you are thinking of?

Edited by Ox

1 hour ago, gtserider said:
12 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Been there, done that in 2009. That's me second from left.

1239591020_184MoosoneeGroup.thumb.JPG.7596568f6be8b58569f09c1bd8e25d3a.JPG

I think I know the owner of that Arctic Cat.3rd from right? 

The Cat is a Panther 440 fan rode by Grant Biesel third from right in the picture.  That is XTC500 on the right.

I had the dream of this trip since 2002 when I found a poster from Extream Tours.  I floated an E-mail around and in about 2 weeks had 8 guys and at that point, it was too late for me to back out.

The year we did this trip, there was no riding in D5 or 9.  Most of us did not have a shake down run on the sleds.  I rode my 2001 Thundercat and did a complete overhaul of clutches and driveline for piece of mind.

We trailered to New Liskeard and met up at the Hotel.  The first day was a ride on A all the way to the North Adventure Inn in Cochrane.  It was still a happening place back then.  I remember having very sore arms and shoulders upon arrival, so I took a few Advil and a ounce or two of whiskey and had an hour sleep.  All good after that.  Someone called Bill Fraud and his phone rang at the table behind us.  Next day we had 1" fresh snow and rode the east side to the Base Camp.  Got fuel, added oil, and had a $10 bowl of soup and hot dog.  Our guide finally showed up with a gang he brought back from Onakwana.  I think his name was Mike Frost (Frosty or Snowflake).  He worked in Rankin Inlet at the time and was very knowledgeable of the area and was well equipped with a Crossfire.

We crossed the dam and got on a road that seemed to go around in circles.  This bypassed the canyon and it's hills.  I believe it was the road to Otter Rapids.  It was not far that we got on the power line beside the rail line to Mooseonee.  We rode the trail there and stopped at Otter Rapids by the rail tracks beside the power station.  After a rest and some instruction, we continued along the trail between the power line and the rail tracks.  Snow was waist deep off the trail.  Eventually we crossed the tracks got down on the Onakwana river and into William Tozers Camp.  We met the train going south around 6pm which stopped to unload two barrels of gasoline, and our beer and chips.  We had a good supper and got into the bunks for a nights sleep.

Next morning was -18C.  It was a long slog but I finally got the T-Cat loosened up and started.  That was the year the revelation came that Cat 50:1 oil pulls a lot easier than Shell Advance.  We rode back to the power line and then north for many miles.  The power line makes a sharp left and crosses the Moose river.  We turned left and followed the line and got on the river riding the right hand side.  After a bit we got off and crossed the tracks then got back on the river.  This move was to avoid going under the long rail bridge over the river.  I think this is at Radisson.  There was lots of ice jam under the bridge.  Many more miles riding both sides of the river and going through some small tributary forks, we got to Moosonee.  There were areas on the river were you could run 90 mph if you wanted to burn down, and areas were we had to pick our way through some big ice heaves.  We rode past the post out on James Bay and took some picture and had a wiz in the bay.  Then over to Moose Factory, across the ice road to Moosonee, to the gas station, and then the hotel for lunch.  We then rode to Tozer's house, met his wife, and paid the bill.  Got back on the river and rode back to the camp for supper and another nights sleep.

Next day we had a lot of new snow.  It was slower going and used a lot of gas.  We crossed the dam at Otter Rapids and rode the road back to Fraserdale to save gas. Got gas and rode the west side down to SRF for food and fuel.  Then rode back to the NAI for supper and sleep.

The trip was very much like you read in the magazines.  There were lots of things we seen and experienced that make good stories to tell.  I think there are lots of people riding this trip without guides and I think it is possible to make it from Base Camp to Moosonee with an Ace and a fuel can.  I believe there is even an annual ice road from Fraserdale to Moosonee so you can ride your FWD pickup with full heater and stereo.  I here it is a 4 hr drive and there is NOTHING in bewtween.

Maybe XTC500 can chime in with some stories or info that I forgot.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

The Cat is a Panther 440 fan rode by Grant Biesel third from right in the picture.  That is XTC500 on the right.

I had the dream of this trip since 2002 when I found a poster from Extream Tours.  I floated an E-mail around and in about 2 weeks had 8 guys and at that point, it was too late for me to back out.

The year we did this trip, there was no riding in D5 or 9.  Most of us did not have a shake down run on the sleds.  I rode my 2001 Thundercat and did a complete overhaul of clutches and driveline for piece of mind.

We trailered to New Liskeard and met up at the Hotel.  The first day was a ride on A all the way to the North Adventure Inn in Cochrane.  It was still a happening place back then.  I remember having very sore arms and shoulders upon arrival, so I took a few Advil and a ounce or two of whiskey and had an hour sleep.  All good after that.  Someone called Bill Fraud and his phone rang at the table behind us.  Next day we had 1" fresh snow and rode the east side to the Base Camp.  Got fuel, added oil, and had a $10 bowl of soup and hot dog.  Our guide finally showed up with a gang he brought back from Onakwana.  I think his name was Mike Frost (Frosty or Snowflake).  He worked in Rankin Inlet at the time and was very knowledgeable of the area and was well equipped with a Crossfire.

We crossed the dam and got on a road that seemed to go around in circles.  This bypassed the canyon and it's hills.  I believe it was the road to Otter Rapids.  It was not far that we got on the power line beside the rail line to Mooseonee.  We rode the trail there and stopped at Otter Rapids by the rail tracks beside the power station.  After a rest and some instruction, we continued along the trail between the power line and the rail tracks.  Snow was waist deep off the trail.  Eventually we crossed the tracks got down on the Onakwana river and into William Tozers Camp.  We met the train going south around 6pm which stopped to unload two barrels of gasoline, and our beer and chips.  We had a good supper and got into the bunks for a nights sleep.

Next morning was -18C.  It was a long slog but I finally got the T-Cat loosened up and started.  That was the year the revelation came that Cat 50:1 oil pulls a lot easier than Shell Advance.  We rode back to the power line and then north for many miles.  The power line makes a sharp left and crosses the Moose river.  We turned left and followed the line and got on the river riding the right hand side.  After a bit we got off and crossed the tracks then got back on the river.  This move was to avoid going under the long rail bridge over the river.  I think this is at Radisson.  There was lots of ice jam under the bridge.  Many more miles riding both sides of the river and going through some small tributary forks, we got to Moosonee.  There were areas on the river were you could run 90 mph if you wanted to burn down, and areas were we had to pick our way through some big ice heaves.  We rode past the post out on James Bay and took some picture and had a wiz in the bay.  Then over to Moose Factory, across the ice road to Moosonee, to the gas station, and then the hotel for lunch.  We then rode to Tozer's house, met his wife, and paid the bill.  Got back on the river and rode back to the camp for supper and another nights sleep.

Next day we had a lot of new snow.  It was slower going and used a lot of gas.  We crossed the dam at Otter Rapids and rode the road back to Fraserdale to save gas. Got gas and rode the west side down to SRF for food and fuel.  Then rode back to the NAI for supper and sleep.

The trip was very much like you read in the magazines.  There were lots of things we seen and experienced that make good stories to tell.  I think there are lots of people riding this trip without guides and I think it is possible to make it from Base Camp to Moosonee with an Ace and a fuel can.  I believe there is even an annual ice road from Fraserdale to Moosonee so you can ride your FWD pickup with full heater and stereo.  I here it is a 4 hr drive and there is NOTHING in bewtween.

Maybe XTC500 can chime in with some stories or info that I forgot.

The Panther is still going.It spends it winter here as Grants utility sled to get stuff to his cottage.

• Like 1

Actually, we planned to ride up to Moosonee over Christmas break '96, but we called Tozer a day or so before and he said that he had just flown the river earlier that day (he is a bush pilot) and despite the -40* weather, there was still too much open water, and we wouldn't be able to make it at that time.

This was before he had the camp south of town. Or at least camp as we now know it...

5 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

After a rest and some instruction, we continued along the trail between the power line and the rail tracks.  Snow was waist deep off the trail.  Eventually we crossed the tracks got down on the Onakwana river and into William Tozers Camp.  We met the train going south around 6pm which stopped to unload two barrels of gasoline, and our beer and chips.  We had a good supper and got into the bunks for a nights sleep.

What sort of instruction did you receive? Safety related, wildlife etc?

36 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

What sort of instruction did you receive? Safety related, wildlife etc?

Frosty, our guide, told us that he was on vacation from repairing heavy equipment in Rankin Inlet.  He flew to Ottawa and bought the Crossfire from a buddy, then drove to Cochrane and on to the Base Camp where his truck and trailer sat there idling.  Yes idling for days.  Go figure.  Since he was on vacation, he said he wanted to have fun too, so he told us that up ahead there was a large long hill.  He told us that we should not follow him, but stay to the right.  He was going over the top.  Well there was no track on the ground for somewhere from 50 to 100 ft as he fly that Crossfire.  He also warned us to stay away from the rail line because there was lots of buried rail, ties and crap.  Also to stay away from the power line due to the guy wires going down to the ground.  He said that if one of us hooked a ski on one, we would fly end over end all the way to Moosonee.

The packed trail was rather rough by groomed trail standards.  The best way to ride it was with one ski on the trail and the other in the looser snow.  This lessened the rough ride.  It was pretty hard to pass a buddy because once out in the loose snow, your speed would get scrubbed off real quick.  The best way was to chance it and follow an existing track that went out into no mans land.  Since it was already packed somewhat, you didn't sink but sure hope the hell it came back to the main trail.  That Panther with the 136" track did this real well.  The rest of us had useless 121" tracks.

The only Wildlife we encountered was the strange noise heard while sitting in the outhouse at Tozer's camp.  No idea what animals were out there.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

.. and here I am - on the wrong bloody side of the St. Mary's ...

Hauled out 3 loads of wood & then some flat rocks to fill a low muddy spot on our main trail. It seems to be drying out pretty good. Hopefully Monday's isn't too bad (fingers crossed)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1