Dodging Deer

SRXChris

Has to be on point tonight.  Took a ride from home here in Marmora with the intent to run to Bancroft and back.  Ran into Old HAstings groomer at St ola and turned around.  The whole ride I had to be on high alert as the deer were moving along side the E/B106.  Never seen so many in all my life in a 2 hour span, saw 22 :o in total. 

The majority were Does and young ones but a few nice Bucks in there as well.  Came close to hitting a few as they went nuts as the SRX approached.

The whole ride there and back not one other sled but also ran into CHSC groomer heading north at Robinson road.  22 deer, 2 groomers and no other sleds made for a nice ride.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SRXChris said:

Has to be on point tonight.  Took a ride from home here in Marmora with the intent to run to Bancroft and back.  Ran into Old HAstings groomer at St ola and turned around.  The whole ride I had to be on high alert as the deer were moving along side the E/B106.  Never seen so many in all my life in a 2 hour span, saw 22 :o in total. 

The majority were Does and young ones but a few nice Bucks in there as well.  Came close to hitting a few as they went nuts as the SRX approached.

The whole ride there and back not one other sled but also ran into CHSC groomer heading north at Robinson road.  22 deer, 2 groomers and no other sleds made for a nice ride.

Sounds like wolves are on run again and deee hanging in big packs to survive. That area kind of scares me for wolves with all deer around. 

50 minutes ago, SRXChris said:

Lots of deer in that area, perhaps its wintering grounds? Glad you had a good ride and avoided an incident.

I always take it slow through there and still I’ve had deer run out the woods and almost hit me a few times on that stretch of B106E between Marmora and Bancroft. There are “Deer feeding area” signs on that trail just north of Eldorado, I almost always see lots of them standing on the trail in that area.

Probably yarding up for the winter. The 3 rides on our woodlot this winter I've seen no deer tracks. This is normal. Once the snow comes the deer return.

Not sure sure if they have wolves over in that area, but likely coyotes as St. Ola is due east of us & Eldorado south east of here. We've had 'yotes for a few years now.

Yes majority were right on trail.  Some flew out of the bushes right in front of me but I was on going slow enough to avoid them.   Never seen the feeding signs but saw a couple come right from a property beside the trail, so I assume he feeds them.    I've seen coyotes through there but never a wolf, would like to see that as I havn't seen one since I was a kid along time ago in the bush.