OFSC Press Release Regarding Land Use Agreements

bbakernbay

IMPORTANT NEWS UPDATE: LAND USE AGREEMENTS

Posted on 23 Jan 2020 | by KTXdiq

Dear Snowmobilers,

The last few weeks have presented confusing misinformation regarding trail access for some areas of the provincial system.

Land Use Permission agreements are secured by Clubs and Districts; this was again reconfirmed at the latest Board of Governors meeting in January. In some of the affected areas, access to the trails is dependent on the District and Club securing the necessary Land Use Permission (LUP) from the owners of the subject properties. Wherever an LUP has not yet been renewed or granted by the landowner, the trails remain closed. The OFSC has always and continues to consult with and assist Districts and Clubs to ensure key land use agreements do not result in personal liability exposure for our valuable volunteers.

Contrary to claims on various social media platforms, THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE to the OFSC insurance coverage in 20 years. Any information stating our coverage has been altered is false. The truth is, some clubs have recently, through a review process, discovered they have entered into agreements which expose them to liability activities completely unrelated to snowmobile trail operations.

The OFSC does not wish to see any volunteer exposed to such risk.

We strongly encourage our valued permit holders to stay updated and receive correct information through their Club and District board members. We remain optimistic that many of the current LUP challenges will be successfully resolved.

Sincerely,
OFSC Executive Committee

Questions about local land use permission and access can be directed to your District Office. Contact information for districts can be found here: https://www.ofsc.on.ca/find-your-district/

Post navigation

I am in the middle of one of these negotiations.  The press release is all true from the one example I am in.. .. simply horrible timing to do such a review.  April would have a been a great month to start this.  More stress and hassle for the few core volunteers that run the trails.... I just spent my lunch at work dealing with updates around this .. sometimes I ask myself why. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jason T said:

Thanks for the post. I still find it odd they waited this long just to say that, and why they couldn't post something to the same effect much earlier.

As they said, OFSC Head office and the Governors do follow social media closely and obviously they heard clearly that a clarification was needed as to what is happening.

• Like 1

Thanks, Daryl. We know you're battling this BS. 

There's a LOT of hate towards OFSC on line right now. 

Deservedly so, if what I'm hearing is true.

I believe the word best used is "Shenanigans". 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, largedaryl said:

I am in the middle of one of these negotiations.  The press release is all true from the one example I am in.. .. simply horrible timing to do such a review.  April would have a been a great month to start this.  More stress and hassle for the few core volunteers that run the trails.... I just spent my lunch at work dealing with updates around this .. sometimes I ask myself why. 

So are the Landowners, being railway, conservation authority or private individual, terminating their LUaps for their own reasons.  Our Clubs LUPs just carried on year to year unless the landowner wanted to terminate.

seems strange to me that all these problems are happening this year.  

The Press Release doesn’t say this but it looks like OFSC must have instructed Clubs/Districts to review their LUPs to ensure they were not in contravention of the OFSC Liability Insurance Policy.

5 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

So are the Landowners, being railway, conservation authority or private individual, terminating their LUaps for their own reasons.  Our Clubs LUPs just carried on year to year unless the landowner wanted to terminate.

seems strange to me that all these problems are happening this year.  

The Press Release doesn’t say this but it looks like OFSC must have instructed Clubs/Districts to review their LUPs to ensure they were not in contravention of the OFSC Liability Insurance Policy.

Something doesn’t seem right. This stuff always seems to happen at worst possible time. Hopefully it doesn’t affect permit sales next season. Wait and see. 

• Sad 1

Same old $hit... lay the BS on the club/ volunteer and district....if u haven looked at your insurance in the last 20yrs or made changes for the changing times,time to take of those rose coloured glasses and put the bottle down....WE the volunteers are on the front line for this activity/sport,and when we need help this is the $hit that comes down the pipeline....and we wonder why club membership is going backwards and when clubs have no bodies we have no snowmobiling....IMO just a matter of time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Something doesn’t seem right. This stuff always seems to happen at worst possible time. Hopefully it doesn’t affect permit sales next season. Wait and see. 

It would have been nice to know before we all bought Permits for the year! It all came to light after Dec 1st! Pretty sneaky on the OFSC part!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Goody said:

It would have been nice to know before we all bought Permits for the year! It all came to light after Dec 1st! Pretty sneaky on the OFSC part!

All this stuff came up the beginning of January

1 hour ago, Goody said:

As unfortunate as this is, there are many volunteers who have spent many, many hours, days and weeks getting ready for the season, and also have to buy their passes.

How do you think they feel?

Edited by Crow

10 minutes ago, gtserider said:

No,we had a meeting with the club north of us in mid December,They specifically said CP was shutting them down.

In the case of CP Rail they are likely using this opportunity to eliminate as much traffic on their right-ofway and rail crossings as possible for the entire year.  Make outrageous liability demands of the OFSC and know full well that it can’t be accepted.

Dirty pool to do that just as season gets going.

11 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Or volunteer involvement.

Yes I can see that being a big problem for next year, volunteer burn out after all this! I feel sorry for hard working clubs and volunteers! Many had to go out and get new permission and to re clear land to setup reroutes around affected area’s that got shut down. Thank you to those involved for giving us best possible trails in each area, this winter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goody said:

Why do you think it is necessarily the fault of the OFSC?  

If landowners like CP Rail or some Conservation Authorities make outrageous demands concerning liability insurance, especially in December or January then what can the OFSC do about it.

Unfortunately the Landowner has all the power and it is very unfortunate that they choose to change their policy at the last minute.  Very unfortunate situation and Clubs and Districts have their hands tied especially if they are signing a LUP and cannot in fact meet the legal and liability requirements stipulated by the landowners.

hopefully we will hear more details as time passes.

16 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yes I can see that being a big problem for next year, volunteer burn out after all this! I feel sorry for hard working clubs and volunteers! Many had to go out and get new permission and to re clear land to setup reroutes around affected area’s that got shut down. Thank you to those involved for giving us best possible trails in each area, this winter. 

Can you say whether your landowner issues are with individual private landowners or is the issue with corporate landowners like railways, government, conservation authorities, etc.

What a week disappointment on the OFSC press release same old reteric,it's up to the clubs. Most clubs don't have the ability to understand the underwriting of the LUP's .Some districts do.This is the beginning of the end.As a 50 yr snowmachiner and 30 yr volunteer including all positions on the executive. The continued lack of support from the  handsomely paid hands in Barrie has become to much.This situation should have been addressed last year when it became apparent.Shame on the payed staff in Barrie for leaving this to the clubs.

Off to do a bridge repair at dawn,this will be my last one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Crow said:

As unfortunate as this is, there are many volunteers who have spent many, many hours, days and weeks getting ready for the season, and also have to buy their passes.

How do you think they feel?

See my reply elsewhere in this thread.

39 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

In the case of CP Rail they are likely using this opportunity to eliminate as much traffic on their right-ofway and rail crossings as possible for the entire year.  Make outrageous liability demands of the OFSC and know full well that it can’t be accepted.

Dirty pool to do that just as season gets going.

23 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Why do you think it is necessarily the fault of the OFSC?  

If landowners like CP Rail or some Conservation Authorities make outrageous demands concerning liability insurance, especially in December or January then what can the OFSC do about it.

Unfortunately the Landowner has all the power and it is very unfortunate that they choose to change their policy at the last minute.  Very unfortunate situation and Clubs and Districts have their hands tied especially if they are signing a LUP and cannot in fact meet the legal and liability requirements stipulated by the landowners.

hopefully we will hear more details as time passes.

There is a CP crossing that is used by fishing people,actually it,s not a crossing,just used.The CP police started fining people,until they got the wrong guy. Assess to traditional fishing grounds.We have a Xing on a trail on first nation landl,don't think we have to worry about that one.

25 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Off to do a bridge repair at dawn,this will be my last one.

Thank you for your hard work

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lep said:

Same old $hit... lay the BS on the club/ volunteer and district....if u haven looked at your insurance in the last 20yrs or made changes for the changing times,time to take of those rose coloured glasses and put the bottle down....WE the volunteers are on the front line for this activity/sport,and when we need help this is the $hit that comes down the pipeline....and we wonder why club membership is going backwards and when clubs have no bodies we have no snowmobiling....IMO just a matter of time.

They are too busy getting driver abstracts for volunteers to be bothered with real trail issues, Ive been in this game for a long time and  I am sick and tired of the crap that comes down the pipeline.

They do a great job of passing the buck when it counts though!

• Haha 1

I shake the hand of 57 landowners twice a yr....spring and early fall to make sure all went ok thru the season that just passed,and make sure all is well with the up coming season.....some of us are at or witts end with the BS the last 10yrs.....u have to be pro active in todays world.....sitting around at the palace with your rose coloured glasses and dreaming up some more BS and pointing figures to the peeps on the front lines doesn't cut it anymore.....maybe its time to walk away.

Yep, Im close to walking, it started for me with the reduction of the groomer fleet, they practically gave away good equipment that clubs could have used.

They want us to do 8 hr shifts max, we struggle to do some routes in 12, because we went from 4 -5 machines. We have to meet up in our own vehicles to spare each other off at our own cost.

We cant make up a normal schedule because the groomers dont have a stationary post. I m tired of hearing you are the OFSC, sorry to say I Am not,

How can they have the power or authority to cut or decide groomer numbers, but their hands are tied when it comes to CP or MTO,  Funny crap right there. What are we paying these people for

Should not be discussed on this forum but I really dont care anymore