6 drowned in Quebec!

Muskoka1

On a guided trip--go onto Lac St. Jean-WTF-oldest adage in ice travel-"if you don't know-don't go"!

Heres the story:

1 dead, 5 missing after snowmobilers fall through ice on Lac Saint-Jean

Guide, French tourists were driving across channel when ice gave way

CBC News · Posted: Jan 22, 2020 5:56 AM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago

sq-diving-team.jpg
The Sûreté du Québec diving team was on the scene Wednesday morning to search for a group of tourists on snowmobiles who fell through the ice. (Louis Martineau/Radio-Canada)

One man is dead and five others are missing after their snowmobiles went through the ice along Lac Saint-Jean Tuesday night.

Emergency services and the Sûreté du Québec (SQ) were called to a channel at the edge of the lake, between the towns of Saint-Henri-de-Taillon and Alma, at 7:30 p.m.

The snowmobilers were French tourists travelling with a guide, totalling nine people. They were driving across the snow-covered channel when the ice gave way beneath them.

One person who went through the ice was helped out of the water by two members of the group who had managed to brake and avoid falling in.

The three of them then drove to shore and called emergency services from a store in Saint-Henri-de-Taillon.

Firefighters from Alma recovered a fourth person, the 42-year-old guide, from the water. He was transported to hospital and died Wednesday morning.

SQ spokesperson Sgt. Hugues Beaulieu said the group deviated from the marked snowmobile paths — which are inspected daily — and went out onto the lake.

"They must not have known the area well, because it's an area known for having critically thin ice because of the current," Beaulieu said.

Members of the SQ's snowmobile team, the Alma fire department and Canadian Armed Forces searched the area overnight. 

The SQ's diving team arrived on the scene Wednesday morning to assist in the search.

Lac Saint-Jean is located about 70 kilometres northwest of Saguenay.

Well, the guide should have known - be'inst that is what he is hired for.

The others were following someone that was s'posed to have known.

Falling through in a current is usually a death sentence I think.

Terrible.

• Like 1

Very sad, indeed.  RIP.

So sad. Condolences to families.

Awful.  Simply awful.  In many Quebec lodges I have stayed there are people (families, young children) from Europe (France, largely) who are attracted here for the “Canadian Experience”.   Dog Sledding, Ice Skating, a Polar Dip, Snowmobiling and so on.  I’ve met and talked with many who are Thrilled with the Canadian Winter and are taking back fantastic memories.  So Sad.  This is NOT the Polar Dip they signed up for.  I could cry. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gtserider said:

from Montreal....

I could show you around Algoma, and I'm 600 klicks away.

I'm guessing that most guides don't git far from the lodge.

(Don't need to know too big of an area)

Edited by Ox

Just now, snowchopper said:

To add insult to injury i just saw on CTV news one of the two helicopters they were using in the search crashed .

Yup, just saw that on the news also 

That “guide” will no longer be a guide. Couldn’t believe it when I heard this. Sad to hear of this forsure. If he was a guide, he should’ve known better. 

32 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

That “guide” will no longer be a guide. Couldn’t believe it when I heard this. Sad to hear of this forsure. If he was a guide, he should’ve known better. 

He died!

MINISTER PROMISES CHANGES

Laforest met officials at the SQ command post late on Wednesday, promising legal changes that could prevent this type of incident. 

A press conference had already been planned for Thursday to announce changes to the law concerning adventure sports, which includes snow mobiling, the minister said.

Oh yeah - yet another doo-gooder going to pass yet another law....

Skip enforcing the laws, just create additional ones. 

Sounds like the typical Liberal approach.

"There, I fixed it!"

The problem stems from the fact that we have oodles of people hired simply to pass new laws.

Just how many "new" laws doo we need?

Just enough to keep up with evolving tech is all IM/HO.

So what's a politician s'posed to doo?

We could even ditch 1/2 of the ones that we have currently too....

Edited by Ox

46 minutes ago, Ox said:

The problem stems from the fact that we have oodles of people hired simply to pass new laws.

Just how many "new" laws doo we need?

Just enough to keep up with evolving tech is all IM/HO.

So what's a politician s'posed to doo?

We could even ditch 1/2 of the ones that we have currently too....

You can't legislate against stupidity &/or the use of common sense!

• Thanks 1

Sure they can.

And they DOO!

Doesn't mean it werks, but it sure makes life that much worse for the rest of us!

In the news tonight they said they went " off trail " ... im not sure if they said that because they were on a lake OR that means they left the staked lake crossing ?

cheers 

13 minutes ago, chez-nous cest skidoo said:

In the news tonight they said they went " off trail " ... im not sure if they said that because they were on a lake OR that means they left the staked lake crossing ?

cheers 

... and that ratt there is what they could target.

"No riding off of QFSC (?) approved trails, and no riding ON THEM unless it is determined by sanctioned, bonded and insured agents of the provincal clubs that they are safe and open for business."

Or any other means that sounds good at the time to make it appear that they are "dooing sumpthing to save us from ourselves".

Edited by Ox

Seems he took them off trail on to a known dangerous section of the lake. Locals interviewed were pretty angry about a "trusted" "guide" gave their area a bad name. Apparently, all it takes to become a guide is an ad and maybe a $10 box of business cards. The part that pisses me off ( my skiing background makes sledding look like a lark...) is that the tourists didn't do the dumb move, they tried to do things right, and got screwed by a scam artist. Lowest form of life.

• Sad 1