OPP LAY NUMEROUS CHARGES

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

This good news was on Timmins Snowmobile Club's FB page from Timmins Today article :

NEWS RELEASE
ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE
The Kirkland Lake Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police want to remind snowmobile operators to follow the rules of the road and trails. The OPP is committed to ensuring a safe, enjoyable experience for all motorized snow vehicle (MSV) operators, not just on Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs trails, but in all locations including roadways, private property and non-maintained trails.

The Kirkland Lake OPP and the Northeast Region S.A.V.E. (Snow Machine, All Terrain Vehicle and Vessel Enforcement) team have been out conducting patrols and enforcement on our local trails and roadways this season resulting in the following charges.

Criminal Code:
  • Flight from peace officer
  • Operation while prohibited under the Criminal Code - two counts

Motorized Snow Vehicles Act:

• Drive motorized snow vehicle while licence suspended - four counts
  • Drive - no insurance - three counts
  • Fail to display evidence of permit - three counts
  • Improper muffler - seven counts
  • Disobey sign
  • Fail to notify change of ownership - two counts
  • No licence - drive along highway
  • Fail to signal for turn - two counts
  • Drive motorized snow vehicle, permit not issued - two counts
  • Speeding - two counts
  • Fail to display evidence of trail permit - four counts
  • Fail to wear proper helmet - two counts
  • Fail to produce evidence of insurance

The OPP encourages snowmobilers to educate themselves on what is required for them to be operating within the laws and regulations in Ontario prior to heading out for a ride.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 3

Not sure I agree with "Fail to signal for turn - two counts". I'm reading this charge as not signalling when about to turn from one road to another, and I would hope that these offenders received the tickets because the riders acted in some "unsafe" manner.  I'm not a fan of removing my left hand off the grip, except to signal on-coming sleds, or that I'm about to bring the group to a stop (I'm almost always lead sled).

The rest - great.

If you are actually on a snowmachine friendly back road and you don't signal a left hand turn - that could be a problem with other vee-hickles coming behind you. 

Got stopped today where Seguin comes out on Kearney road. Opp were on sleds and had two other guys pulled over already. Had the side cover off the guys Polaris. Must of been checking for can.Cop ask me about my papers and i show him. He then asks me "if i heard anything?" . Dumbfounded  i then ask him why has there been lots of sled thefts? I didn't know what he was getting at.He says no ...noise. Must have been lots of complaints about guys with cans from this past weekend. 

Edited by snowchopper

10 hours ago, snowchopper said:

He then asks me "if i heard anything?" 

No pun intended?

Sorry, SC - great report. 

There's a multitude of reasons sections of trail may close - trespass and loud pipes are at the top of the list. 

16 hours ago, Ox said:

If you are actually on a snowmachine friendly back road and you don't signal a left hand turn - that could be a problem with other vee-hickles coming behind you. 

OK,  third scenario that is 100% valid, and yes I do, if any traffic behind us. That said, we try to cross as close to 90 deg to the road, when possible. Cuts down on stiff necks the next day. 

I guess it could be relivent to a LH turn onto a cross or adjacent trail as well.