Honey Harbour Ice conditions?

Skidoopatrick

I think it’s going to be a while..

• 2 weeks later...

So my dad was talking with a guy in the area last week, said guys are running the harbour across the bay to beauseleil island and the stake line isn’t even up yet. Not worth the risk imo. Also said 2 guys went through up around go home bay, not sure if they made it out or not. This season is too risky to be running lakes or big bodies of water. Too many freeze thaw cycles and too much warm weather. I wouldn’t risk it. 

I had a buddy call me this morning asking me about the ice in Honey Harbour. I told him  there is NO chance Id be running the bay right now. It's just too risky right now with the weather we have had this winter.  I have no interest in swimming in the summer let alone the winter. LOL.  If there is no stakes up going out on the bay there is no way Id head out. But that's just me.  We are on a small lake just north of 6 Mile (Gibson Lake) and the ice is good there, but no where near the amount we normally have at this time of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GibsonNytro said:

I had a buddy call me this morning asking me about the ice in Honey Harbour. I told him  there is NO chance Id be running the bay right now. It's just too risky right now with the weather we have had this winter.  I have no interest in swimming in the summer let alone the winter. LOL.  If there is no stakes up going out on the bay there is no way Id head out. But that's just me.  We are on a small lake just north of 6 Mile (Gibson Lake) and the ice is good there, but no where near the amount we normally have at this time of the year.

Thanks for the info. Not looking to be out in the open bay at all, trying to get to a cottage out towards McCrae Lake to check on things and don’t want to make the trip to the area if it’s not going to be safe. Hopefully things stay cold over the next week or so. 

30 minutes ago, roofdude said:

Thanks for the info. Not looking to be out in the open bay at all, trying to get to a cottage out towards McCrae Lake to check on things and don’t want to make the trip to the area if it’s not going to be safe. Hopefully things stay cold over the next week or so. 

A friend ran Mcrae on his tippy toes two weeks ago, which way is your route? 

North bay, Buck lake to Mcrae?

7 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

We'd be coming at McCrae from the South, heading across towards the mouth of the Gibson River

I was all over HH, Macrae lake, up to go home, down through Coghnashene last weekend.  As mentioned by everyone else, if you do not know the area this is not the year to go exploring.  We are on the back side of Deer Island and made our way around last weekend.  There is a staked trail from Beausoleil to Midland over present island and it has seen lots of traffic.  The tree line is also in from Beausoleil to Coghnashene but there is a large pressure crack about 1/3 of the way up.  I will be up this weekend...pm me if you want more info.

2 hours ago, kennyb said:

I was all over HH, Macrae lake, up to go home, down through Coghnashene last weekend.  As mentioned by everyone else, if you do not know the area this is not the year to go exploring.  We are on the back side of Deer Island and made our way around last weekend.  There is a staked trail from Beausoleil to Midland over present island and it has seen lots of traffic.  The tree line is also in from Beausoleil to Coghnashene but there is a large pressure crack about 1/3 of the way up.  I will be up this weekend...pm me if you want more info.

I appreciate that. Will PM you.

14 hours ago, Baylaker said:

So my dad was talking with a guy in the area last week, said guys are running the harbour across the bay to beauseleil island and the stake line isn’t even up yet. Not worth the risk imo. Also said 2 guys went through up around go home bay, not sure if they made it out or not. This season is too risky to be running lakes or big bodies of water. Too many freeze thaw cycles and too much warm weather. I wouldn’t risk it. 

X2 - like the OPP keep saying No ice is safe ice... if you don't know don't go. Too much at stake. Often people see sled tracks and assume it's safe.... could be the tracks are from someone weighing 140 lbs on a 400 lb sled doing 80 kph. The 220 lb guy riding the 600 lb sled doing 40 kph says it's safe. See there's the tracks. Then he goes for a swim

Edited by 02Sled
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 2/5/2020 at 7:00 PM, Yukon said:

Hi, I just read your post and that's the way I typically go but haven't been up there this year . . . Is that way okay ??

This is the Delawana Inn Webcam. Not McRae Lake, etc but read recently " thin ice" . 

Honey Harbour.

https://delawanaresort.ca/webcam.htm

9 hours ago, JohnTP said:

Hi, I just read your post and that's the way I typically go but haven't been up there this year . . . Is that way okay ??

Stay off the ice this year, horrible conditions and If you are not friendly with locals, check it yourself.. 

My buddies are ice runners only and parked the sleds 6 days ago..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My dad sat on his deck this afternoon and watched tons of sleds cross over to Beausoleil island from penetang harbour today, the tree line is up, but these guys are nuts! 

the tree line shouldn’t have gone up at all this year imo

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

My dad sat on his deck this afternoon and watched tons of sleds cross over to Beausoleil island from penetang harbour today, the tree line is up, but these guys are nuts! 

the tree line shouldn’t have gone up at all this year imo

And this is why the locals call them the whiskey runners... 

There is a reason the OFSC pulled the trail out there years ago. Ice breakers, currents, open water.  In the shilping channel its 300ft deep, good for salmon..

• Like 2

On 2/12/2023 at 11:14 AM, Canuck said:

This is the Delawana Inn Webcam. Not McRae Lake, etc but read recently " thin ice" . 

Honey Harbour.

https://delawanaresort.ca/webcam.htm

And this is up by Sans Souci

The Bowens' Website

20 hours ago, Yukon said:

And this is why the locals call them the whiskey runners... 

There is a reason the OFSC pulled the trail out there years ago. Ice breakers, currents, open water.  In the shilping channel its 300ft deep, good for salmon..

Exactly!

I remember when it was a staked trail back in 2014-2015 when I had my SRX. It was actually kind of nice riding riding through all the little frozen waterways. We went with locals, but haven’t been through there since, and don’t plan on it ever again.