Whats Your Definition Of Too Fast??

Diceman

so 180 k down a railbed is ok as long as there are no corners and the driver feels comfy?

• Haha 1

There is plenty of riders who can ride fast, stay on their side,  and stay in control.  I have rode with them. IMO, its the person behind the flipper. Plain and simple.  Do you blame alcohol for deaths, or the Person making the bad decisions.  Do you blame the cigarette, or the person making bad decisions. Do you see a glass half full, or half empty..B)

• Like 1

This is from my personal stash, so please be carefull with it.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

• Haha 5

I think we have all rode too fast and feel like we are "in control".  I do find that riding in a large group (4+ riders),  the guys at  the back always want to keep pace and push it too far when they fall behind. That is where I have always run into problems, as it's usually the last few riders that cut the corners trying to catch up.

I have ridden fast and felt ok doing it, but it is stopping that I feel is the problem.  If you come around a corner and/or have something unexpected on the trail,  even the "best"  riders are going to have an issue.  

• Like 2

regardless of how good of a rider you are, or how good of a rider you perceive yourself to be, there are too many variables.you can't account for. like the person on coming, on the wrong side of the trail, or trees down etc. the faster you are going the less time you have to correct or act in the situation.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pumpjockey said:

regardless of how good of a rider you are, or how good of a rider you perceive yourself to be, there are too many variables.you can't account for. like the person on coming, on the wrong side of the trail, or trees down etc. the faster you are going the less time you have to correct or act in the situation.

+1

14 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

+1

+2.....guess sad part is the guys that are driving like maniacs likely would give the same responses that others have given on this post....

Possibly another example of how sh+t can go sideways fast from last night. 

"A 16 year old male has been transported to a near by trauma centre after being involved in a snowmobile collision on a trail located near Ski Hill Rd in Kawartha Lakes. It was reported that the male struck a tree causing his helmet to get knocked off and for him to be knocked unconscious, the male was conscious and speaking to emergency personnel once they arrived on scene. Firefighters had to extricate the patient approximately half a kilometre to the nearest road to a waiting ambulance where he treated by paramedics and was then transported to Peterborough Airport where Ornge had a helicopter standing by. The cause of the collision is unknown at this time but OPP are on scene investigating." 

2 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

we're all maniacs now?.8-)..

Never said that at all...what I said is there are people that I know that would say many of the samethings that have been said on this post...problem is they are speed demons and drive crazy and that's why I would never ride with them but if they were describing their riding style they think their good safe drivers....there not... I kind of compare it to trespassing or riding off trail...no one ever does it and everyone always follows the rules...well someone isn't, it's always the other guy

Sledding is a power sports activity, you will always get people riding beyond their capacity and fulfilling that adrenaline rush. When you think about it, really surprised there are not more accidents on the trails and last I checked, most sledding accidents or fatalities were NOT actually on the trails oddly enough....

There will always also be a strong opinions on both sides and a massive cloud looming as to what is fast enough or too fast, and the opinions that also go along with that i.e. maniacs, reckless, etc...

Just like the riders who purposely try to impede faster riders or the riders that show no respect for the slower riders....human nature.

Anyone that chooses to ride the trails, I think needs to understand the risks associated with riding them, there are actually signs posted on the trails pertaining to the risks if I am not mistaken, for those that have chosen to read them of course.

Similar topic gets posted year after year, always going to be people on both sides.

I understand people can & will ride stupid or like a maniac when I do ride, especially when you ride certain areas, but I try to ride according to my surroundings and my comfort zone at the time.

You can choose to make riding choices that can actually decrease your exposure to this, but it will never be eliminated. Some would say that is not fair and I should be able to ride where I want, when I want, with the same expectation anywhere I ride, but that is really not the case within this sport, and never will be.

7 hours ago, MXZSlider said:

Possibly another example of how sh+t can go sideways fast from last night. 

"A 16 year old male has been transported to a near by trauma centre after being involved in a snowmobile collision on a trail located near Ski Hill Rd in Kawartha Lakes. It was reported that the male struck a tree causing his helmet to get knocked off and for him to be knocked unconscious, the male was conscious and speaking to emergency personnel once they arrived on scene. Firefighters had to extricate the patient approximately half a kilometre to the nearest road to a waiting ambulance where he treated by paramedics and was then transported to Peterborough Airport where Ornge had a helicopter standing by. The cause of the collision is unknown at this time but OPP are on scene investigating." 

Alot behind this story, as no different than the guy who claimed he got hit by a bat outside Lindsay as well.

3 sides to every story .. including this one.

As was mentioned, ride as fast as you can while always staying on your side of the trail. Not blowing every 3rd corner, always. Can you still get in trouble with this yes, someone else riding on my side of the trail while I'm going real fast, that's not easy to stop quickly, but that's how I ride. 

And get on the C trail from Timmins to Cochrane holding 110mph for what seems like ever is all good to me! See guys coming the other way, slow down. 

Got into it w/ an old bag @ Porterville about the speed on the railbed. She said it's 50kph. I told her that my parents in their 70s are comfortable going faster than that. "Well they're speeding!"

:rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, what was the speed limit for the trains that use to travel the railways that we now use as trails ? The 50 kph speed limit is absolutely crazy. I,m at the stage, after 50 years of sledding, with all the BS going on with the OFSC and landowner agreements and insurance issues going on now,  that IF and when I ever get a ticket for speeding, it will be the end of my sledding career. The sled and trailer will be sold, twith the decision to never get back into sledding again. Like many others, I,m very, very close to the limit of BS I want to put up with.

13 hours ago, infernobuster said:

Alot behind this story, as no different than the guy who claimed he got hit by a bat outside Lindsay as well.

3 sides to every story .. including this one.

I haven't nor did not see any comments regarding this where it was posted. What are the details?

Remember, FIGHT every ticket.

Also keep in mind that fear is the game here, people want everyone to fear them or the law hence all the blame+threat stuff going on. Smile, wave, ride safe at your speed and take any tickets to court and let anyone who doesnt like it whistle. Im not promoting speeding either Im promoting safe fun riding and suggesting watching the speedometer or stressing actual speed traveled is one of the most unsafe practices anyone driving anything can do. Stay focused on your operation of the vehicle is PRIORITY ONE.

Look back a few years at the soft 120kph speed limit. Cops did NOT want this but one trip down 407 at any given day and the limit is 120/30 and every person driving that speed is essentially VOTING for that speed as safe. The idiocracy of red tape admin limits vs actual limits has been ignored and abused for far too long. As other threads where we discuss the flat 50 speed for sleds its all wrapped up in insurance issues more than anything else.

Dont let it get into your head

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 2:56 PM, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Too fast = the speed at which you can no longer keep the sled on your side of the trail..............period!!

too often you don't realize you're going too fast until it's too late and you run off trail into that tree that jumped in front of you or you run into another sled

Been on a sled since the early 60s and from my experience with sledders around me, those that have a good head on their shoulders by keeping within the speed required to always stay on their side of the trail, never blow corners and don't pour a handful of beers down their throats at every chance are seldom if ever the ones responsible for a crash. Typically the half in the bag rider is the one you have to wait for at every road crossing all morning but once they've got a belly full of hero juice are the ones out front, same ones that blow a corner and stuff it into the bush. Just as dangerous, the oblivious rider who has zero zero zero comprehension / awareness there are others out on the trail. They are typically doodling along taking in the sights, start from a side trail and ride out in front of you or stop to chat with others just over the crest of a hill. Same rider is always the one to yell n scream your riding too fast when you crested the blind hill n all but clobbered them or almost hit head on when they were not paying attention and going wrong way on a one way trail. 

It's the same mentality as the idiotic powers to be in Toronto lowering speed limits to "save the pedestrians". Good freakin grief, have the balls to bring in a Zombie law, enforce pedestrian laws n stop them from walking willy nilly off every curb because  pedestrians always have the right of way. Gotta be a ton of satisfaction with that as the last through through your mind as the you step off the curb against the walk sign and get run over.

Edited by ZR SLEDHEAD
  • Like 1

Out riding today. Glanced down @ the dream o meter a few times. There were a few sections where I was travelling @ a speed that I thought was comfortable/prudent for the trail and/or conditions. I was doing 35 to 40 kph. I thought 50 would be a struggle to keep a sled out of the trees. Saw a couple of offs near Harcourt, 1 was after a SLOW sign & before the arrow...