Whats Your Definition Of Too Fast??

Diceman

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

Out riding today. Glanced down @ the dream o meter a few times. There were a few sections where I was travelling @ a speed that I thought was comfortable/prudent for the trail and/or conditions. I was doing 35 to 40 kph. I thought 50 would be a struggle to keep a sled out of the trees. Saw a couple of offs near Harcourt, 1 was after a SLOW sign & before the arrow...

Some trails I wouldn’t dream of doing 50.  Usually I’m just lugging along.  Even in wide long trails/roads I rarely see above 80.  I just feel comfortable around 60 on my old sled.    I find I’m always letting other guys/gals by me as I’m not a fast driver by any means.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:01 AM, MXZSlider said:

I haven't nor did not see any comments regarding this where it was posted. What are the details?

The bat issue was far fetched .. guys were ripping up the trail and put other riders at risk which was a young kid. Guy thought they were going to go head on, and protected the kid in turn struck the other rider with his arm. 

The kid who got airlifted is a different story. Went by the accident scene the other night .. he did take one helluva tumble down an embankment.

Witness statements show that " they had crossed at the trail mouth at hwy 7 at high speed without stopping and into incoming traffic"

Where it occured is a long straight away which is bumpy, lost control and down the embankment and helmet flew off.

I pay zero attention to ofsc speed limit. No one should ever. Why, because it is stupid. Stupid fast at times and stupid slow at other times. It is simply not the correct speed to travel most of the time. Ride 50 on a rail bed and you impede traffic, increase risk by causing most everyone else riding to pass, ride 50 in tight trails and you may be going way to fast. Ride to conditions and if in a group the lead sled should understand the ability and comfort level of those behind and pace themselves accordingly. After 50 years of riding, over 150000 kms and zero, not one accident or ticket, I know you can ride fast and stay safe.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, zoso said:

I pay zero attention to ofsc speed limit. No one should ever. Why, because it is stupid. Stupid fast at times and stupid slow at other times. It is simply not the correct speed to travel most of the time. Ride 50 on a rail bed and you impede traffic, increase risk by causing most everyone else riding to pass, ride 50 in tight trails and you may be going way to fast. Ride to conditions and if in a group the lead sled should understand the ability and comfort level of those behind and pace themselves accordingly. After 50 years of riding, over 150000 kms and zero, not one accident or ticket, I know you can ride fast and stay safe.

Ahmen...:right_on:

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:08 AM, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Out of curiosity, what was the speed limit for the trains that use to travel the railways that we now use as trails ? The 50 kph speed limit is absolutely crazy. I,m at the stage, after 50 years of sledding, with all the BS going on with the OFSC and landowner agreements and insurance issues going on now,  that IF and when I ever get a ticket for speeding, it will be the end of my sledding career. The sled and trailer will be sold, twith the decision to never get back into sledding again. Like many others, I,m very, very close to the limit of BS I want to put up with.

Really?

I'm kinda waiting to get one. I want to frame it and mount it on my wall.

I got no issues with how fast anyone rides. Slow down when you see me and stay on your own side when you don't and we will get along just fine.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Really?

I'm kinda waiting to get one. I want to frame it and mount it on my wall.

I got no issues with how fast anyone rides. Slow down when you see me and stay on your own side when you don't and we will get along just fine.

Another Ahmen..:right_on:

I have earned a few tickets on the seguin over the years, it certainly didn't stop me from wanting to ride.

1 hour ago, Sledguy74 said:

I have earned a few tickets on the seguin over the years, it certainly didn't stop me from wanting to ride.

I've also received a couple on the Seguin.It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Edited by snowchopper
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

Question, I heard that if the police get you speeding within 90 feet of a road that dermit points can be held against you, from your experience with tickets did you have dermit points or was it just $  ?

9 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Question, I heard that if the police get you speeding within 90 feet of a road that dermit points can be held against you, from your experience with tickets did you have dermit points or was it just $  ?

not true

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Pretty sure speeding tickets on sleds is just one set dollar fine, if im not mistaken.  I agree with radar thru residential and town areas. But on the hydro lines etc, go away..8-)

• Like 1

Did George Carling not say something to the effect of anyone slower than you are idiots. Anyone faster are maniacs. I do believe you can be charged with careless. As once a long time ago I caught a bit of air as I approached an intersection.  The officer said that he was debating to charge me with said offense.  Meanwhile they were standing in middle of said intesection just after a blind hill top. I said why? I think I landed it perfectly and to my right. No humor. But no charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Always just cash and one price for no matter how fast you were going but it’s been 5 yrs since I got my last ticket 

Would you get charged with stunt driving if you were caught doing 50 kms over like you would in a car.

34 minutes ago, Motorhead said:

Did George Carling not say something to the effect of anyone slower than you are idiots. Anyone faster are maniacs. I do believe you can be charged with careless. As once a long time ago I caught a bit of air as I approached an intersection.  The officer said that he was debating to charge me with said offense.  Meanwhile they were standing in middle of said intesection just after a blind hill top. I said why? I think I landed it perfectly and to my right. No humor. But no charge.

Back-in-the-day when the trail south out of Hearst actually went SOUTH out of Hearst (not west to Mooseland) we were cruising along pretty good on the groomed trail right beside the road, just outside of town somewhere, and didn't notice a driveway crossing. We were likely running 85/90 klicks? The trail pitched up a bit for the drive, but on the other side of the drive it must have dropped out 10'. We were both a ways down the trail when we landed. Didn't really slow down, but sure looked back to see what just happened!

Edited by Ox

32 minutes ago, thetorches said:

Would you get charged with stunt driving if you were caught doing 50 kms over like you would in a car.

Motorized snow Vehicles Act is what governs snowmobiling in Ontario.

This doesn't mean you can't get charged with Dangerous operation of snowmobile. They can find more charges if they want.

Stunt driving is under the highway traffic act. 

8 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Motorized snow Vehicles Act is what governs snowmobiling in Ontario.

This doesn't mean you can't get charged with Dangerous operation of snowmobile. They can find more charges if they want.

Stunt driving is under the highway traffic act. 

Ok. Thanks.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:05 PM, vooodooo said:

Some sledders stop in stupid places. Stopping on a hill, top or bottom, around a corner is stupid. We all like to stop and regroup..do it in a  safe spot..somewhere that riders can see you at a distance..

If you have a break down, get off to the side  off the trail if possible. If not, and have others with you, they can place themselves to warn others as to the danger. It ain't rocket appliances. flashing lights, waving hands and arms means something is wrong, slow the frig down.

Placing a helmet back on the trail a distance behind a broken down sled is a great signal

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Both times i have received a ticket i was nowhere near a road. I was charged under the snowmobile act.Ticket was 110 bucks .No demerit points and it doesn't matter whether your doing 10 over or 30 over the fine is a standard 110 bucks....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faceman said:

Placing a helmet back on the trail a distance behind a broken down sled is a great signal

Many moons ago we were heading west on D into ... Schreiber (or maybe Terrace Bay?) and we found a helmet in the middle of the trail.

???

We stopped and looked all over. 

Looked around some more....

And then a little longer yet ....

Finally we found two gurls (ladys) that were out putzing  around two up (don't recall the skidoo, but it was a little older I think) and I think they said that the throttle stuck on them and they went for a dead run (?) stright for the trees - clear over there!

About that time the snow started coming down like twoney's!

Dead calm and the snow coming down so hard - it was almsot blizzard conditions!

So we fetched the gurls out of the bush and sent them on their way.

Turns out that we were pretty close to town, so they could have walked it off if need be.

Fortunately they didn't git hurt!

I don't think they bailed, and obviously they didn't think to hit the kill switch.

I'm just glad there wasn't a head in that helmet when we found it!

21 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

Both times i have received a ticket i was nowhere near a road. I was charged under the snowmobile act.Ticket was 110 bucks .No demerit points and it doesn't matter whether your doing 10 over or 30 over the fine is a standard 110 bucks....

Weeeellll then heck - may as well git'cher money's worth eh? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thetorches said:

No. So long as your on the trail....trust me!... I know!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

During 1 trip up north my brother commented about the speed I was doing as we rode along a highway. Not sure if it was 655 north of Timmins or along 11 near SRF. "Watch your speed you never know who is pacing you from behind..."

• Like 1