Whats Your Definition Of Too Fast??

Diceman

..unless someone crashes themselves many riders think they are great riders, safe, experienced,  etc...if you take some time and read posts from members on this forum over the years , its filled with guys saying their aggressive drivers, fast paced, quick riders, etc when describing their riding style..this happens usually when a guy is looking to ride with someone or a group and is describing how they ride......isn't that just another way of saying I drive really fast?...of course most, I am guessing will say I only drive that style when its safe to do so but we can all see every time we ride thats not true..every guy that cuts a corner I am sure thinks hes a great rider....thoughts???

Edited by Diceman

16 minutes ago, Diceman said:

..unless someone crashes themselves many riders think they are great riders, safe, experienced,  etc...if you take some time and read posts from members on this forum over the years , its filled with guys saying their aggressive drivers, fast paced, quick riders, etc when describing their riding style..this happens usually when a guy is looking to ride with someone or a group and is describing how they ride......isn't that just another way of saying I drive really fast?...of course most, I am guessing will say I only drive that style when its safe to do so but we can all see every time we ride thats not true..every guy that cuts a corner I am sure thinks hes a great rider....thoughts???

What I notice is riders get lazy when they are in a group following someone. They think it is safe to cut corners sharp, ride in middle of trail and ride faster when they are behind there buddy. Gets dangerous when group gets spread out abit and on coming riders approach. When I see a rider hold up his glove with 3 or more sleds I know right away to get off trail and wait in a safe spot, especially if I can’t see any sleds coming.  I know they will be coming at me at a high rate of speed in middle of trail and might possibly slide thru a corner and hit me (that happened to me in Dorset and I was on my side of trail). One guy slid into me and then his buddy did same thing for a three sled pile up. 

• Like 1

It's typically the LAST guy in a train that is trying way too hard to keep up. 

I always say to leave yourself an "out" but that means going left when they come at you in your lane. 

Could lead to bigger troubles than leaving the trail. 

It's going to come to dash cams.

I've already seen guys giving someone a "tune up" after a close call.

I ride fast when I can see. 

• Thanks 1

A blanket speed limit is ridiculous, but ....

50 klicks in the twisty's is a bit proud.

50 klicks on the Northern Corridor is ridiculous, and while I hear of plenty of folks say that they hit that pretty hard, I also know folks that have gotten nailed up through there too, so ... ???

• Like 1

First off, we are not all Joe Racers.  Please dont group us together.  Theres good riders and there are bad riders. PERIOD. Its not the machines power, speed in itself kills, yes, but again, like most things,  used properly its fine. 

I have rode with a lot of great riders, and they seem to have no issue with riding safely. I agree sometimes things happen,  but alot of it can be controlled by the person behind the flipper.PERIOD. 

• Like 2

Speed is relative to time, place, and circumstance. Thats all it is and ever will be by pure definition. There is no blanket formula for too fast for anything, unless you consider immediate excessive BLAME a speed problem because I sure do. Blame blame blame blame blame is EVERYWHERE right now its biased far past the point of reason. It exists in a cult like fever where most people have extremely itchy trigger fingers on the ready to blast BLAME on anyone for anything.

The reality is the worlds finest drivers crash, often. Its not always speed or excessive anything either take a look at Schumacher, guys out for a laid back ski with his daughter and suffers extreme life altering injury yet in his historic racing career driving faster than anyone during his time? Not a scratch. Speaking of formula one Jackie Stewart says speed doesn't exist, until you crash. Prior to crashing its a perfectly harmonious experience of motion and control. George Carlin had a funny quote on driving where anyone slower than you is a moron and anyone faster than you is a maniac. More than likely what this thread is about

• Like 4

6 hours ago, manotickmike said:

It's typically the LAST guy in a train that is trying way too hard to keep up. 

I've probably told this before but I followed a friend who was driving really lazy. He was the middle of 3. Rather than wrestle his sled on the berm in the bombed out corners He'd stay on the inside even on the LH corners!

It was scary to wstch & he should've known better.

He's above average weightwise & was riding an Apex so he wasn't putting much effort in 'riding' it. It was more he was going where the sled wanted to go.

3 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Too fast = the speed at which you can no longer keep the sled on your side of the trail..............period!!

Exactly!

• Like 1

Couple years back on one way section in the Ganny, over a crest of a hill next thing I see, group parked taking up the entire trail having a chat n snacks. Slide to a stop, greeted by concerned do gooders yelling n screaming I could have killed someone, are you freakin kidding me? Was I riding the posted speed limit, no I was not. Same breath,  who could ever imagine you'd come across a group of adults so completely and utterly clueless that they'd stop in a spot like that putting both themselves and me at risk. I'd hazzard to guess even at exactly the speed limit, antics involved to avoid hitting them would have presented as I'd been going too fast.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Couple years back on one way section in the Ganny, over a crest of a hill next thing I see, group parked taking up the entire trail having a chat n snacks. Slide to a stop, greeted by concerned do gooders yelling n screaming I could have killed someone, are you freakin kidding me? Was I riding the posted speed limit, no I was not. Same breath,  who could ever imagine you'd come across a group of adults so completely and utterly clueless that they'd stop in a spot like that putting both themselves and me at risk. I'd hazzard to guess even at exactly the speed limit, antics involved to avoid hitting them would have presented as I'd been going too fast.

Saw that last year on a trail in Mazinaw.  Group stopped over a hill,  tried yo talk to them and they wanted to argue.      

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Too fast = the speed at which you can no longer keep the sled on your side of the trail..............period!!

X 1000. Stay on your side and don’t signal me last sled if you can’t keep it straight.    Lift hands off bars and almost crash to indicate what you have no clue behind you is. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Some sledders stop in stupid places. Stopping on a hill, top or bottom, around a corner is stupid. We all like to stop and regroup..do it in a  safe spot..somewhere that riders can see you at a distance..

If you have a break down, get off to the side  off the trail if possible. If not, and have others with you, they can place themselves to warn others as to the danger. It ain't rocket appliances. flashing lights, waving hands and arms means something is wrong, slow the frig down.

• Like 1

For me speed is major factor of most accidents....

When your eyeballs are bouncing in head, your going too fast. I don’t ride really aggressive anymore like I used to. Usually the wife and I just cruze and enjoy the ride. We ride at a comfortable pace. 

there is a time and place for speed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

We've had this happen to us as well and they look at you like your in the wrong.  Years ago my Wife and i were out for a ride came to an intersection(road crossing) and there was about 10 sleds off and helmets off blocking the road crossing.  I waved my arms at them nothing.  I went across got around in the deep snow, my wife tried but got stuck i had to help her out not one of them helped or offered help to us they sat and watched.  Those are the real AZZhats of the sport.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Like Pirelli Com says .                                             1} Power without control is nothing        Ricks addendum   {but trouble sooner than later }

Every rider out there                                               2} Stay on your side                                            "                       ( on corners and hills }

Its all good after that

2 hours ago, SRXChris said:

X 1000. Stay on your side and don’t signal me last sled if you can’t keep it straight.    Lift hands off bars and almost crash to indicate what you have no clue behind you is. 

Yep, you're a great rider...

9 hours ago, Ox said:

A blanket speed limit is ridiculous, but ....

50 klicks in the twisty's is a bit proud.

50 klicks on the Northern Corridor is ridiculous, and while I hear of plenty of folks say that they hit that pretty hard, I also know folks that have gotten nailed up through there too, so ... ???

There is a section of E109 south of Martins Mill that is signed for 50. NO WAY you can ride thru there @ that speed w/o hitting a tree.

6 minutes ago, SRXChris said:

If you say so....

My bad. I meant the person you referenced that I put in bold. I wasn't directing it @ you.

20 hours ago, revrnd said:

My bad. I meant the person you referenced that I put in bold. I wasn't directing it @ you.

:)  No worries here man. 

• Thanks 1