D6 Fatality

revrnd

Killaloe OPP responded to a fatal snowmobile accident (operator hit a tree) on the B106E on Saturday. 

PLEASE be careful out there folks. Yes it's a late start, but don't make your first ride of the season your last...

• Like 2

Unfortunate. There are still these folks who's ego write cheques there body can't cash.  I hit a tree 2 yrs ago outside of Sudz for the very same reason (plus I was hung-over).  lucky for me, I wasn't hurt and insurance covered the substantial repairs (3800). I got a free pass, others do, others don't.  I've dialed things down, don't ride with guys who only ride WOT, etc etc.   Now I ride defensively and always are worried about being collateral damage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, revrnd said:

Killaloe OPP responded to a fatal snowmobile accident (operator hit a tree) on the B106E on Saturday. 

PLEASE be careful out there folks. Yes it's a late start, but don't make your first ride of the season your last...

I stopped counting how many corners where blown in Quebec this past weekend,  and also condolences to the few trees that had to bear the brunt of the joe racers...Oh and wait, stay the :soapbox: on your side of the trail. If you cant, maybe sledding is not for you...

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

I stopped counting how many corners where blown in Quebec this past weekend,  and also condolences to the few trees that had to bear the brunt of the joe racers...Oh and wait, stay the :soapbox: on your side of the trail. If you cant, maybe sledding is not for you...

Years ago I met 2 REV 'riders' (on the wrong side of a corner) that had to take evasive as they met us. I noticed from their tracks further along, that the sleds had the Indecisions on them (our REVs had the Pilots). I got to thinking from my experience w/ those skis on a ZX sled, that maybe to make up for the ill-handling sleds these BM wannabes cut the corners to stay on the trail? To me it seemed like the corner cutting became more prevalent when everyone & his uncle had a REV chassis. Those skis are long gone, so I don't think that's the reason anymore...

I know I switched sleds w/ a buddy that had an '03 REV when it was new. I had a '01 ZX MXZ600. I found the handling in the twisties downright scary. In the ditch, the suspension was great, but I thought for sure sure even @ legal speed, I was going to put the sled into the trees. I couldn't get off of it & back on mine fast enough. Turns out the whole front suspension setup from the factory was way off & the '04s (later the '06s) were tweaked to improve them. I had no issues going to my '07 REV from the '04 ZX I had prior.

Not sure it would help but i dont see any "Ride Your Side" signs around D7 anymore. Even on a straight away this past saturday i had a rev 2up riding staight down the middle, my right ski is off the trail to avoid hitting them! Seems every weekend afternoon every single corner is gouged out with one rut thru the gut of it. Stop being sheep and stay on your side.

• Thanks 1

I stopped at Lake St. Peter for fuel shortly after the accident. Feedback from those who came through said speed was a major factor.

That being said, I couldn’t believe how many people couldn’t keep to their side of the trail.

In addition, the lack of courtesy with regard to signalling riders behind you and the last in the group was brutal.

1 hour ago, Motorhead said:

That's why I cherish Monday to Thursday riding. Less traffic. I stop almost at blind corners now on weekends. 

OMG, YES!  Cant wait to be totally retired.

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

Years ago I met 2 REV 'riders' (on the wrong side of a corner) that had to take evasive as they met us. I noticed from their tracks further along, that the sleds had the Indecisions on them (our REVs had the Pilots). I got to thinking from my experience w/ those skis on a ZX sled, that maybe to make up for the ill-handling sleds these BM wannabes cut the corners to stay on the trail? To me it seemed like the corner cutting became more prevalent when everyone & his uncle had a REV chassis. Those skis are long gone, so I don't think that's the reason anymore...

I know I switched sleds w/ a buddy that had an '03 REV when it was new. I had a '01 ZX MXZ600. I found the handling in the twisties downright scary. In the ditch, the suspension was great, but I thought for sure sure even @ legal speed, I was going to put the sled into the trees. I couldn't get off of it & back on mine fast enough. Turns out the whole front suspension setup from the factory was way off & the '04s (later the '06s) were tweaked to improve them. I had no issues going to my '07 REV from the '04 ZX I had prior.

Event the new Arctic Cats are light on the front end (my experience is with the 600s).  Mine under-steered terribly when I got it.  I come in at about 200lbs with gear and I've had to tighten my front ski springs about 1/4", tighten the strap 1 notch, loosen the front skid spring all the way, and install shaper bars to get it to neutral.  THis is with 2 studs per row and I'm very happy with it now. 

PS, I installed bergstroms originally and they didn't improve over stock on the trails.  Just not enough vertical surface area.

2 hours ago, Motorhead said:

That's why I cherish Monday to Thursday riding. Less traffic. I stop almost at blind corners now on weekends. 

As do I

• Like 1

Lots of cowboys this weekend. 

Can't wait for the more southern trails to open so the wanna be snow-X crowd doesn't have to travel so far.

Blaming the sled doesn't work. 

If it won't stay on your side, slow the F down.

Your lack of common sense shouldn't have to be MY problem.

• Like 4

Can't fix stupidity,I have said it before today's sled are getting far too powerful for our trail systems.

They have become weapons for certain individual's that seem to not give a F%# about anybody else.

Hopefully some common sense will prevail moving forward for these throttle jockeys, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cravesledding said:

Can't fix stupidity,I have said it before today's sled are getting far too powerful for our trail systems.

They have become weapons for certain individual's that seem to not give a F%# about anybody else.

Hopefully some common sense will prevail moving forward for these throttle jockeys, but I doubt it.

You can try !!.

I find baseball bats work well, nice balance, easy to get a second swing of needed.

A 440 can get you into a corner faster than the chassis can rail it.

Not like you need 180hp blown Yammi to not make the corner.

In all honesty, I think the improved ride of newer sleds is a big player in this.

You don't realize how fast that you are really going - only a meter or so from inanimate objects.

I know that this was an issue when I got my 580 Grand Touring back in '96, after coming off of a '75 Deere and ''80 Yammi Enticer.

Edited by Ox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

Not sure it would help but i dont see any "Ride Your Side" signs around D7 anymore. Even on a straight away this past saturday i had a rev 2up riding staight down the middle, my right ski is off the trail to avoid hitting them! Seems every weekend afternoon every single corner is gouged out with one rut thru the gut of it. Stop being sheep and stay on your side.

X2 Nobody wants to ride on the fresh snow. Look after it snows on a groomed trail. Only the middle 4 feet has tracks on it. 2 feet of untouched snow on either side.

1 hour ago, manotickmike said:

Can't wait for the more southern trails to open so the wanna be snow-X crowd doesn't have to travel so far.

I dont blame sleds, it's the operators that are riding over their heads that I blame. 3 or 4 seasons ago I came over a hill wayyyy on my right & an azzhat hit my ski. Last guy in the group of 4. He was wearing a Team Carhartt racing jacket on an '03 REV (beavertail visible) w/ no graphics other than the registration numbers. Probably shouldve been on a Safari 377...

Poor decisions while riding will never end. There will always be those that have no care and control and kill themselves. I only hope when they do it is a single vehicle accident. It is the same on our roads. It is not the power of the sled, but is the lack of brain power in the operator of the sled. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, revrnd said:

Was it on 6 km road run by any chance. That road be be icy and taking lake is risky unless there is a highway of tracks. I always hated that trail for that reason. 

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Was it on 6 km road run by any chance. That road be be icy and taking lake is risky unless there is a highway of tracks. I always hated that trail for that reason. 

Assume you are referring to road run around lake st. peter? - If so,  then no.  

Occurred on main trail towards Whitney, logging road not far in off the highway. Couple KM past the top end of the rail bed.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, manotickmike said:

5 hours ago, Ox said:

A 440 can get you into a corner faster than the chassis can rail it.

Not like you need 180hp blown Yammi to not make the corner.

In all honesty, I think the improved ride of newer sleds is a big player in this.

You don't realize how fast that you are really going - only a meter or so from inanimate objects.

Everyone  thinks they're the latest & greatest throttle-jockey, until they're on a closed circuit where they get their azz handed to them by someone on a lesser machine that can ride. (Ask me how I know.. ) 

Most of todays cowboy, hold-my-beer types are just point, shoot & hang-on riders. They think  BHP is the cure-all for lack of seat time and skill. Put some of them on a properly set-up RS/Sno-Pro (a 600 no-less) or any other machine where it's actually setup to get the power hooked up properly and doing what the Sled & Suspension was designed for & I guarentee most of them will come back scared sh*+les. Some may come back in awe of what a sled can actually do and have an enlightened moment. 

Some? Well... like it was said above "ya just can't fix stupid" :blink:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

No matter the reason, sad to loose a rider like that.

R.I.P.

Very unfortunate. 

As this guy was runnin' clean-up, are we sure that he didn't git clubbed with a ball bat?