Valois in Mattawa is Booming Today

bbakernbay

5 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Standing room only today at Edgewater on Sand Lake. Place was packed!!!!

I passed through the lot today.Couldn't get over seeing how packed they were! The Legion in town was just as busy.

Edited by snowchopper

Good to see the trails finally opening up ,trails will be pounded by days end 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

This driver wanted to join the gang of shedders at Valois’s in Mattawa.  Could have been a lot of upset shedders if he/she would have wiped out all those sleds earlier in the day.

098F326C-06C9-4D51-ACC7-2892BDB7964C.png

Saw the Valois' Faceplant page. Not impressed :banghead:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

This driver wanted to join the gang of shedders at Valois’s in Mattawa.  Could have been a lot of upset shedders if he/she would have wiped out all those sleds earlier in the day.

I was there when it happened!  Mrs and I just finished lunch and we were walking to our sleds and I hear a loud bang, not unlike a gunshot!  Turned around and noticed a semi trailer as shown in the pic.  100 yards further and we'd both be dead or f'eed up big time.  I googled it when we got back to our hotel and apparently, there are a number of semi related incidents in Mattawa (east side) over the last few years.  One was a truck running off the road and hitting an apartment bldg.  And this was before the storm hit!  OMG, the MTO has to do something about this.  I'm sure they have statistics that would make most normal folks vomit.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 7:46 PM, bbakernbay said:

Sleds? what about the 20 people in the parking lot?  Just sayin'

2 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Whst was cause of truck to leave the road you think?

There's is a long hill ( maybe 1/2 a km) that leads into Mat and Valois is near the bottom.  The road was partly snow covered and most likely icy.  I spend 2 years working in Chalk River and was on that highway a lot.  When the roads are bad, you have to slow down at the top of that hill.  If you're asleep at the switch, this is what happens. You don't have a chance to recover if you're traveling too fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

I was there when it happened!  Mrs and I just finished lunch and we were walking to our sleds and I hear a loud bang, not unlike a gunshot!  Turned around and noticed a semi trailer as shown in the pic.  100 yards further and we'd both be dead or f'eed up big time.  I googled it when we got back to our hotel and apparently, there are a number of semi related incidents in Mattawa (east side) over the last few years.  One was a truck running off the road and hitting an apartment bldg.  And this was before the storm hit!  OMG, the MTO has to do something about this.  I'm sure they have statistics that would make most normal folks vomit.

Wow, sorry to joke about something that could very well have been a much more serious situation.

There are way too many of these a Big Rigs going off the roadway, probably due to inexperienced drivers in too many cases.  Anyone who has ever driven Highway 17 and westbound into Mattawa down the big hill and under the trestle surely knows the issue.  Dame type of situation eastbound into a Mattawa at the curve before Myrts.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Valois Facebook post after the “Accident”.

E567A687-1E57-4062-97A4-032466572363.png

That's the thread bro' tagged me in. The 'driver' is the chap in the lower left pic...

I sincerely hope that Valois gets compensated as well.  Doesn't seem like the Humboldt Bronco's message has gotten through at all.  These are "professional drivers" and need to be penalized as such. 

I put on about 50k km a year on my pickup, most of it on the 400 series hyways.  I've seen some scary sh!t over the years and its getting worse (not just truckers).  Mrs bought me a dash cam for my B-day, won't leave home without it.  Sure, it wont save my life but it sure simplifies things when (no if) I run into an altercation.

Apologies for the rants, this just struck close to home for me :(. (Im originally from Sask).

p.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No excuse for this. Literally 1000s of trucks navigate that road in those conditions on a regular basis. 

If you spent any time along that road, you'd have a better understanding than most. It's the ONLY road.

ALL traffic goes through there. Everything that moves. The train is gone.

Thinking the government or the trucking companies are going to remedy this is defective thinking. 

You need to protect yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Puggz said:

I sincerely hope that Valois gets compensated as well.  Doesn't seem like the Humboldt Bronco's message has gotten through at all.  These are "professional drivers" and need to be penalized as such. 

I put on about 50k km a year on my pickup, most of it on the 400 series hyways.  I've seen some scary sh!t over the years and its getting worse (not just truckers).  Mrs bought me a dash cam for my B-day, won't leave home without it.  Sure, it wont save my life but it sure simplifies things when (no if) I run into an altercation.

Apologies for the rants, this just struck close to home for me :(. (Im originally from Sask).

p.

Off topic but my brother had a driver of a flat deck ask him how to chain the load...

I dont know how my driver friend from North Bay can do it...

I'll have to check Google Earth. I've been thru

Mattawa a couple of times towing my trailer. Been too busy paying attention to what I was doing to notice where the Valois is located.

4 hours ago, Puggz said:

p.

I am sure they will put a bill in too. I would if it was my business. Crash into private property and knock out power. They are on hook for damages related to accident. Hydro will charge a pretty penny too. Glad no one was hurt, as that could have been a disaster. Kudo’s to how they handled it, very well done.,I will always support them when In area too. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I am sure they will put a bill in too. I would if it was my business. Crash into private property and knock out power. They are on hook for damages related to accident. Hydro will charge a pretty penny too. Glad no one was hurt, as that could have been a disaster. Kudo’s to how they handled it, very well done.,I will always support them when In area too. 

That's why you carry insurance, no way I'm letting someone else dictate what is repaired.  

Deal with your own and let the two insurances figure it out.

I feel your pain, zoso. My "insider" friends are disgusted,angry, and ashamed... Nobody on the outside or in charge seems to be the least bit concerned. I won't drive within a mile of a truck these days. When I called the police and the trucking company about the F-wit stuck in my residential driveway, nobody gave a damn. Yes, I had LOTS of pics and evidence. 

• Sad 1