Major trail changes in D12

soupkids

You will notice that trails are starting to open up around sudbury.

With that you may also notice that many trails will stay red for the season due to land permission issues.

Places watch for press releases and FB posts for all the details.

The system will be very fractured this year with not many interconnections.

• Sad 2

Kudo's to those involved in getting things into shape for the season. A shame to hear some won't open at all though, especially on a season that is more likely vs not gonna be a short one. If indeed becomes fractured, gonna break the back of those that rely on winter sledding business to make the all yr plan work.

Not just in D12 Soup.

Sad to think, that after all the crap that the volunteers have go through to get trails available, brushing, signing, meeting landowners, club meetings and then go brushing again after heavy snow/ice storms, all the while using their own trucks, trailers, quads or sleds, saws, fuel for all the above, all out of their pockets (at least for me and the guys I volunteer with) that this BS with the insurance/permission wasn't looked into months ago. They screwed this up in '16, and got a bunch of trails closed down for awhile, some never reopened. Why the hell would they do this again??

I'm tired, guys I volunteer with are tired, wasting our time and energy, and money for what? Brutal.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

51 minutes ago, Crow said:

Not just in D12 Soup.

Sad to think, that after all the crap that the volunteers have go through to get trails available, brushing, signing, meeting landowners, club meetings and then go brushing again after heavy snow/ice storms, all the while using their own trucks, trailers, quads or sleds, saws, fuel for all the above, all out of their pockets (at least for me and the guys I volunteer with) that this BS with the insurance/permission wasn't looked into months ago. They screwed this up in '16, and got a bunch of trails closed down for awhile, some never reopened. Why the hell would they do this again??

I'm tired, guys I volunteer with are tired, wasting our time and energy, and money for what? Brutal.

Thank-you crow. I hope to get more involved in future if system survives here in  d5. The weather and all of this red tape bs is killing it, then you have trespassers as you know. It never ends it seems and I fear it soon will be all over if winters continue like this too. 

The people at the top are too worried about drivers abstracts and creating new regulations and more paperwork, they are way out of touch with the real problems.

I understand risk management but they went too far with the driver abstract. As Crow said the main guys and gals doing the real work are getting tired, myself included.

• Thanks 1

The biggest problem is CP rail.

They want a 12 month agreement with the club responsible for ANYTHING that happens whether it is snowmobile related or not.

An example would be a train derails due to lack of maintenance, potentially the club, ofsc could be forced to pay the costs associated with it.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jason T said:

Would this affect the Entire D rail bed from say Skead to Field? 

No but from coniston to wahnapatie it does and south to broder dill.

Edited by soupkids

20 hours ago, GTC said:

The people at the top are too worried about drivers abstracts and creating new regulations and more paperwork

It's not them, they have to keep up with employment regulations or they leave the ofsc open to law suits or fines. All workplaces are effected by it

Lots of trails going green in the area. I am a bit shocked at how many are disappearing and broken links. ouch.:(  what should be 18km is now a 57km detour to Grandma's house, Kids wont make it that far. 

Edited by Jason T

11 minutes ago, Jason T said:

Lots of trails going green in the area. I am a bit shocked at how many are disappearing and broken links. ouch.:(  what should be 18km is now a 57km detour to Grandma's house, Kids wont make it that far. 

Not fun at all. Hard to plan any sort of trip with all of these trail closers poping up. Looks like touring maybe coming to an end and you will need to trailer from one broken area to another. 

23 minutes ago, Jason T said:

What is going to be the best way going forward? Closed for the season or just not open yet. ITG odiously doesn't have that capability.

2 hours ago, gtserider said:

What is going to be the best way going forward? Closed for the season or just not open yet. ITG odiously doesn't have that capability.

As of now, closed, might they reopen, who knows.

The directive we are hearing is that any trail that does not have a valid land use agreement can not stay on the ITG.  It must be removed. You can not leave it closed status indefinitely. 

2 hours ago, Big Pete said:

The directive we are hearing is that any trail that does not have a valid land use agreement can not stay on the ITG.  It must be removed. You can not leave it closed status indefinitely. 

Agree with that position because many sledders unfortunately think that a Red - Closed trail can still be used by THEM.  This turn of events is going to be devastating to some businesses that rely on snowmobiling.  This could be a watershed year in the sport and certainly is discouraging news.

Edited by bbakernbay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Pete said:

17 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Agree with that position because many sledders unfortunately think that a Red - Closed trail can still be used by THEM.  This turn of events is going to be devastating to some businesses that rely on snowmobiling.  This could be a watershed year in the sport and certainly is discouraging news.

x2...makes perfect sense if a trail has no hope of opening for the season, just delete it to avoid confusion.

Thank you Kathleen Wynne voters and Bill 100

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Pete said:

We had trail from 17/18 come up on the ITG in 18/19 season that we were not using or signing.

Our request to have it removed from the ITG was to take 30 days, which sounded crazy in the first place, it did not happen.

• Confused 1

On 1/16/2020 at 4:14 PM, Poo Man said:

It's not them, they have to keep up with employment regulations or they leave the ofsc open to law suits or fines. All workplaces are effected by it

What Employment Regulations are you referring to that is causing the latest problems with Conservation Authorities and Railways wanting the OFSC to be responsible for all liabilities arising from trail activity, not just snowmobiling.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crow said:

We had trail from 17/18 come up on the ITG in 18/19 season that we were not using or signing.

Our request to have it removed from the ITG was to take 30 days, which sounded crazy in the first place, it did not happen.

District  admin should be able to that in a minute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gtserider said:

District  admin should be able to that in a minute.

Ours did.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

What Employment Regulations are you referring to that is causing the latest problems with Conservation Authorities and Railways wanting the OFSC to be responsible for all liabilities arising from trail activity, not just snowmobiling.

I'm referring to what I quoted with regards to drivers abstracts