North Bay Area Parking

Puggz

As per my other thread, we've decided to stay in Calendar and trailer to the trails. The loops we want to do will be out of the Bonfire area (Bonfire to Rolfton). The second (saturday) will be out of Kipawa (Kipawa to Ville Marie)

Any ideas on places to park in these areas??

TIA.

P.

The Sand Dam Rd north on 11 is mentioned a lot. Not sure if it's a good staging point for your Quebec destination or not.

Calendar to the town of Temiscaming Quebec is an hour's drive.

Many sledders park in the side lot at the Esso station on Highway 101 just across the bridge into Quebec. Two weeks ago I asked one of the staff if they charged for parking, and the fellow said there was no fee. I dont know how to access the trail from there, but I saw at least 20 sled trailers parked.

A quick call to the Esso station might be wise for confirmation etc.

Screenshot_20200114-194347_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20200114-195313_Google.jpg

Edited by Blake G

In the screenshots you can see where the trail runs. I would suggest driving a little further, and parking across from the Auberge Canadian.  There is quite a large lot to park at. Pretty sure you can park and ride from there. Maybe call ahead to the Auberge and see. We have stayed at the Auberge and parked in the epmty lot for a 4 day tour a few years ago, no issues. Trail runs pretty much into Auberge lot.  Also at the Arena in temiscaming,  across the street from the TemRose, the trail is right behind the Arena.  It may be possible to park there, but i would call to confirm.  

Screenshot_20200114-201719_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20200114-201540_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200114-201742_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20200114-201806_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

The Sand Dam Rd north on 11 is mentioned a lot. Not sure if it's a good staging point for your Quebec destination or not.

It can be, when the A102Q is open and good. Its quite the trail to get open. IIRC, lots of water issues, logging etc. Always takes time to get that open.  We have rode from the parking lot on sand dam and road into Quebec, and around NB before..

Edited by TURBO DOO

Many sledders park in the side lot at the Esso station on Highway 101 just across the bridge into Quebec. Two weeks ago I asked one of the staff if they charged for parking, and the fellow said there was no fee. I dont know how to access the trail from there, but I saw at least 20 sled trailers parked.

Blake, to get on the trail from the Esso, cross back over 101 towards the mill and go cornerwise across the little field. A trail goes through the bush (you can see it on your screen shot) to a tunnel that takes you back across under 101 and onto the old railbed which is the sled trail. heading north.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TURBO DOO said:

It can be, when the A102Q is open and good. Its quite the trail to get open. IIRC, lots of water issues, logging etc. Always takes time to get that open.  We have rode from the parking lot on sand dam and road into Quebec, and around NB before..

I was hoping someone would chime in. I only realized where it was a year or so ago. Usually paying attention to the driving @ hand. I don't want to wind up like this guy:

297853556_hqdefault(1).jpg.34395edf9e6094b6866d2d0bed2c7c46.jpg

Hopefully he's not blocking a snowmobile trail.

46 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Blake, to get on the trail from the Esso, cross back over 101 towards the mill and go cornerwise across the little field. A trail goes through the bush (you can see it on your screen shot) to a tunnel that takes you back across under 101 and onto the old railbed which is the sled trail. heading north.

Something like the yellow dot path?

20200114_215202.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Something like the yellow dot path?

20200114_215202.jpg

Yes-also Auberge Canadienne will charge for parking if you don't stay there!

I forgot the parking lot across from Trout Lake @ Ohmstead Beach on Lakeside south of Hwy 63.

2108678650_Capture_2020-01-14-22-17-32-1.thumb.png.b93e18535eec1d88ff65986e48078590.png

I staged there a few years ago when I couldnt ride from my friends' house just south out of the screen grab

28 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I forgot the parking lot across from Trout Lake @ Ohmstead Beach on Lakeside south of Hwy 63.

2108678650_Capture_2020-01-14-22-17-32-1.thumb.png.b93e18535eec1d88ff65986e48078590.png

Thank you, revrnd. Didn't know about this lot. Could work well when D is available across Trout Lake.

• Thanks 1

1619516598_OhmsteadPark.JPG.1eeb025ca88d2c511633dff33de7cc3e.JPG

• Thanks 1