How to mod new trl.

moll672

Picking up 1st sled this weekend if all goes well. Bought a 5 x 10 aluminum trailer from Home Depot for multi use but primarily for snowmobile and son's ATV.  Any suggestions on how to install runners for skis? Plywood, rubber?  Can probably figure something out myself but would like to avoid the learning curve of not doing it the best way first time. Thanks.

I would suggest something like these Caliber floor protectors. They are low profile so easy to sweep out the trailer if hauling dirt etc. You could do the tailgate ramp as well if the trailer has that type of tailgate. I believe they are about 6" wide. 

Caliber.jpg

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I would suggest something like these Caliber floor protectors. They are low profile so easy to sweep out the trailer if hauling dirt etc. You could do the tailgate ramp as well if the trailer has that type of tailgate. I believe they are about 6" wide. 

Caliber.jpg

I did the same as you are doing, my trailer had the ramp which was a heavy metal mesh, you must put the ski runners on the ramp or else your carbides will get caught in the mesh. At first i just used plywood with eye hooks to secure the wood to the ramp. Used two pieces of wood as the ramp was quite large and I needed to store the wood in the trailer for unloading. Eventually I put the ski runners on and that worked much better. I have since sold the trailer. BTW the trailer had a wooden 2x6 floor so securing the ski runners to the floor was easy, I used nuts and bolts with large washers to secure the ski runners to the mesh ramp. Hope that helps.

Are you putting rubber matting down the middle to protect floor from studs. If so, Costco had 3'×4'×3/4" matting for $22.99. That was a couple weeks ago, so not sure if they still have it.

Investment in the Caliber ski glides, along with some kind of matting for the track, (as mentioned above) will make your life easier indeed. 

• Like 1

Caliber yes! Go with Grip Glides or low pro grip glides as you'll need the traction for the ATV as well.  Make sure the lateral spacing works for both.  Trax grabber up the middle and you should be good to go.

PM me if you  need any further specifics

Thanks everyone for info. Had a sheet of plywood that I cut and screwed down for now but will consider your ideas as a more permanent solution. Got my sled this afternoon and snow yesterday and forecast again for tomorrow. Hopefully out to a friends farm for us to try it out Sunday. So far so good, went onto trl fine, hope it comes off the same!! Will check Costco next week.

Edited by moll672
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, moll672 said:

Thanks everyone for info. Had a sheet of plywood that I cut and screwed down for now but will consider your ideas as a more permanent solution. Got my sled this afternoon and snow yesterday and forecast again for tomorrow. Hopefully out to a friends farm for us to try it out Sunday. So far so good, went onto trl fine, hope it comes off the same!! Will check Costco next week.

If it is a hybrid trailer with a ramp you may find as you back out that the ski carbides catch on the edge of the ramp at the gap between the ramp and the trailer. An easy fix for that is to lay a piece of black plastic drain pipe in the gap. The skis ride up and over the edge of the gap. A diameter just big enough to be slightly higher than the deck and the ramp is ideal. Too big and the heel of the carbide digs in on the ramp as the ski goes past the pivot point

• 2 weeks later...