Sudbury trails

hancop

hopefully in the next week or so. There are some smaller side trails that are going to take a while longer this year. swamps in the bush still not completely frozen, trees and other hazards as well. We could also use more cold and about 20cm of snow. I think some of the bigger main trails will open in the next week hopefully. Below was posted 4hrs ago.
Nickel Belt Snow Spirits Snowmobile Club - District 12
4 hrs · 

We get that everyone is anxious to get out and ride. And you’re frustrated that the trails aren’t open yet. But we ask that you please be patient. Everyone is working diligently to try and get the trails open as soon as possible, and to make sure they are SAFE!!! This has been a trying year, one unlike any other!! Between the storm that took down so many trees and caused so much work for ALL of our clubs, trails being washed out, and our weather going from -22 to +5, it’s been one of the most difficult years.
So we ask again, please be patient. We are working as hard as we can to get our trails open SAFELY as soon as possible!
Ty

• Thanks 2

A pic of a wet area on a small portion of D trail headed toward Kukagami. This was our first time through because of the trees that were down this past Saturday. We laid branches down, then packed with snow to harden up. Just giving an example of the condition of how some of the smaller side trails are. (The water is what is supposed to be the middle of the trail) The more travelled trails are in much better shape and im sure will really start to open up in the next week.

Wet.jpg

Edited by Jason T
  • Thanks 1

Th

2 hours ago, SudsJeff said:

Does STP still allow spot tracking of their groomers? the link no longer appears to work.

The old link no longer works.

There is a new one but I don't know what it is.

Saw on FB today the CP rail line which I think is D trail will be closed, do you know if there’s any truth to that Kevin?

Yup, totally true.

Along with any trail that is on CP property.

D from sudbury to chelmsford is closed.

The system is basically now in 2 sections, north of the CP line and south of it.

49 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Saw on FB today the CP rail line which I think is D trail will be closed, do you know if there’s any truth to that Kevin?

Edited by soupkids
  • Sad 1

Unreal! The gov't needs to jump in and start mandating access for some of this stuff. Multi millions of tourism dollars are about to be lost. With it the TAXES!!!! C'mon Ontario gov't do something. I'm willing to bet the QC gov't doesn't let this BS happen. We need to model our system more like the Quebec snowmobiling industry. Its huge dollars to the people and to the tax base.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Unreal! The gov't needs to jump in and start mandating access for some of this stuff. Multi millions of tourism dollars are about to be lost. With it the TAXES!!!! C'mon Ontario gov't do something. I'm willing to bet the QC gov't doesn't let this BS happen. We need to model our system more like the Quebec snowmobiling industry. Its huge dollars to the people and to the tax base.

You want the province to dictate that trails be allowed on private property?

I want the gov't to step up like QC does to promote snowmobiling tourism! Try to remove roadblocks that the lawyers are throwing up all over the place.

Edited by RAMSOMAIR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, soupkids said:

Yup, totally true.

Along with any trail that is on CP property.

D from sudbury to chelmsford is closed.

The system is basically now in 2 sections, north of the CP line and south of it.

Yeah I thought that was the section (chemmy) they were talking about. Going to make for a long moose loop! 

Appreciate it if someone posts the new Spot link for STP once things open up! 

5 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

I want the gov't to step up like QC does to promote snowmobiling tourism! Try to remove roadblocks that the lawyers are throwing up all over the place.

Government has reduced amount they give back to snowmobiling though over past 5 years. I think use to be 3 and now 1.5 or so million. I think government will do squat about it. They didn’t even help manufacturing industry here, how can we count on them to save or improve snowmobiling in province. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

Yeah I thought that was the section (chemmy) they were talking about. Going to make for a long moose loop! 

I'm not sure if there is even a loop

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, soupkids said:

I'm not sure if there is even a loop

There is still a loop that can be done, but it’s a significant amount of extra trail to do. I wouldn’t mind, but some might not want to do 350kms or so in a day. Do you know if there’s a reroute for this year? 

7 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

There is still a loop that can be done, but it’s a significant amount of extra trail to do. I wouldn’t mind, but some might not want to do 350kms or so in a day. Do you know if there’s a reroute for this year? 

At this point no there isn't.

I called Windy Lake Motel and a nice young lady tells me the closed section of C111D has a bypass in the works. Should open up next week some time. That will be enough of a loop for me. Nice people, good food! Let it snow. 

So am I reading some of these posts right ?

All 4 major loops are not complete this year and won’t be ?

loops being the chiniguchi (wolf loop), Cartier (moose loop), rainbow (elk loop) and the deer loop 

thanks

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Could someone that knows the details of the trails/liability issue with CP Rail please provide more details.

Pretty simple.

CP wants a 12 month agreement where the clubs are responsible for any incident.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Pretty simple.

CP wants a 12 month agreement where the clubs are responsible for any incident.

Seems to be happening across province now. Grca in our area put out a similar request I believe. Hailburton also having trouble now too with main trail leaving town. They had to put in a reoute until that issue gets resolved too. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, hancop said:

So am I reading some of these posts right ?

All 4 major loops are not complete this year and won’t be ?

loops being the chiniguchi (wolf loop), Cartier (moose loop), rainbow (elk loop) and the deer loop 

thanks

From what I am hearing those loops on the closed areas are being ridden regularly. Trail is broken but not groomed.

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

That isn’t good. Could be lost forever if riders don’t stay off closed trails 

Nope but locals know where the trail is and do not see that. Kinda like the train Tressel that connects D to C over the wahnapitae river. It has been condemned but everyone rides over it.