Jump to content
TURBO DOO

Something new from Doo coming tomorrow

Recommended Posts

It's not a complicated idea, WWII planes were boosted simply to account for reduced air density at elevation. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the knuckleheads get hold of it.

Sidewinders are reliable trailable sleds at 270 hp with a stock muffler.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coolbane said:

Motörhead’s 850 Doo Motor blew up in Quebec today. Maybe the turbo will fix that!!!

Tell him to put a match to it.....I have yet to ride a 850 out of Quebec....ride in no problem...week or 2 of riding I have not rode out on the same sled I rode in.....always fun with our crew....lol

 

Turbo will put a smile on his face.....makes those tuned 900"s feel slow....

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lep said:

Tell him to put a match to it.....I have yet to ride a 850 out of Quebec....ride in no problem...week or 2 of riding I have not rode out on the same sled I rode in.....always fun with our crew....lol

 

Turbo will put a smile on his face.....makes those tuned 900"s feel slow....

 

If I read this right, your 850s keep blowing up ?  We see a few every year too, not catastrophic failures (rarely) but seize one piston or the other .... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, reevester said:

Smart move Doo.

 

The 850 E-Tec Turbo has a sensor intergraded in the CVT cover, this will take a reading in the CVT area when the heat is too high, this will send a signal to the ECM and set off a notification in the cluster. There are two levels of functions one is a belt overload condition and the other is a belt overheat condition.

Note:
You may see belt temp in the cluster if it’s selected (A) 

 
Belt overheat condition:

 If the belt temperature reaches 75 Celsius/167 Fahrenheit a message will appear BELT OVERHEAT + 2 beeps every 10 seconds and once the belt temperature becomes lower then 75 Celsius/167 Fahrenheit the message disappears. 

 
Belt overload condition:

If a critical condition is detected over 1 minute a message will display BELT OVERLOAD + 2 beeps every 15 seconds, if the rider reduces critical overload style of riding the message disappears.

If it’s still in a critical condition for over 10 minutes the BELT OVERLOAD appears + 2 beeps every 10 seconds, the message will not disappear until engine shutdown.
 
This will not reduce any power lost but will advise the rider to ease up to help save the belt.
 
This will also resister two codes in BUDS:

                                        Level 1 = P3311: Overload with Warning in the cluster
                                        Level 2 = P3312: Overload with Warning in the cluster but rider continue to run hard. 

 

All you are going to hear in the mountains know is the sound of smoke detectors going off all day.  I guess once you hear the beeps going off you know it is time to open your panel and cook some eggs on the secondary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, coolbane said:

Motörhead’s 850 Doo Motor blew up in Quebec today. Maybe the turbo will fix that!!!

Wow those motors have been good. Hope still in warranty and they cover it. Wish him luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 04nightfire said:

All you are going to hear in the mountains know is the sound of smoke detectors going off all day.  I guess once you hear the beeps going off you know it is time to open your panel and cook some eggs on the secondary.

 

Last week we dropped into a crick/tree line from above. I made it fine, and turned down the crick a bit, but couldn't really see my chum above to wave him down, but figgered that he seen that I was OK at some point. Then finally I hear him comming down, but ... with the reverse beeper going off. LOL!

 

It's not uncommon for some folk to put in reverse on decent - which allows them to roost up some snow ahead of them and dig a grave to slow or even stopon the way down - compared to just skidding all the way.

 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ox said:

 

Last week we dropped into a crick/tree line from above. I made it fine, and turned down the crick a bit, but couldn't really see my chum above to wave him down, but figgered that he seen that I was OK at some point. Then finally I hear him comming down, but ... with the reverse beeper going off. LOL!

 

It's not uncommon for some folk to put in reverse on decent - which allows them to roost up some snow ahead of them and dig a grave to slow or even stopon the way down - compared to just skidding all the way.

 

:D

Thats cool. I've never heard of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Techdenis007 said:

 

If I read this right, your 850s keep blowing up ?  We see a few every year too, not catastrophic failures (rarely) but seize one piston or the other .... 

 

Dennis just my luck...not complaining at all....its a 2 smoker and they come apart sometime....and yes I play with them and push them beyond there bounderies most of the time...no one to blame but the nut in the brain bucket...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. So I sorta get the Turbo 850 in mountain sleds. But, in this very litigious North American environment, I can't see why a manufacturer would want to unleash a roughly 200 HP "trail sled", weighing 500 pounds or less, that will be used on public 2-direction trails. Oh, especially in Ontario where the trail speed limit is 50 KPH.  

I just got back from 4 days riding in the Sudbury to Cochrane area. Generally great conditions and little traffic, but as we returned south yesterday, the weekend warriors were heading north, still in small numbers, but some at very high speed coming around corners on my side of the trail. No harm was done as I put my sled just off the outside edge of the trail, but I really don't want those guys having any more power. The sport is just a couple of fast head on collisions away from a "paradigm shift", IMO.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tricky said:

OK. So I sorta get the Turbo 850 in mountain sleds. But, in this very litigious North American environment, I can't see why a manufacturer would want to unleash a roughly 200 HP "trail sled", weighing 500 pounds or less, that will be used on public 2-direction trails. Oh, especially in Ontario where the trail speed limit is 50 KPH.  

I just got back from 4 days riding in the Sudbury to Cochrane area. Generally great conditions and little traffic, but as we returned south yesterday, the weekend warriors were heading north, still in small numbers, but some at very high speed coming around corners on my side of the trail. No harm was done as I put my sled just off the outside edge of the trail, but I really don't want those guys having any more power. The sport is just a couple of fast head on collisions away from a "paradigm shift", IMO.

Where you at the sportsmans with the 2 dead doo's Friday morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, soup. South on C in the afternoon, then west on 111 to Windy Lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update on my 850. Pto side head gasket failure. Coolant also damaged crank bearings. Full rebuild needed no warranty left. Just coincidence that rabbit hit happened at time of failure. I drive hard but expected more than 11444km on a so called 4 stroke reliability motor. Last year the track ripped off and I got a new tunnel and track under my insurance. Put 1200km on after that so can't blame the dealers work.  Getting a used motor and flogging it after this season.  Still have my trusty 1200. Not as fun. And as for sidewinders have not seen a reliably one yet in the chain case department.  My friends old one and now his new srx just failed again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've re-run those seals oodles of times.

Never an issue.

 

I wonder what made this one fail?

Not torqued enough?

Stretched bolts?

Blem seal?

 

Of all the things to go wrong on a 2 stroke - this seems awfully odd to me.

 

So what happened to the doner carcass?

Tree on curve @ 130klicks?

 

Not done much on these new sleds - does the motor come out the side?

 

 

Edited by Ox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The motor that blew had 242hrs on it untouched.  No overheating issues prior to failure and ran 1200km after track tunnel replacement.  So cooling system was fine. Cold night minus 18 degrees coming down a fresh groomed rail trail out of Mont Laurier.  300 km plus the day of failure . Replacement engine is from a wrecked machine with 80hrs on it. I am not doing this job so pics are from the guy working on it. Need to salvage the season as time is short. Not bad turnaround 2 days down and pick up tomorrow.  But lost 2 days prime time in Quebec. 

 

Edited by Motorhead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That hurts just reading and looking at it @Motorhead  

 

I've read so many posts over on DooTalk of 800/850s tanking with various mileage on them, it has me seriously thinking of staying in the 600 class if I decide to Snow Check in the Spring. Not to say they don't grenade, but they do seem to have a better reliability & longer life expectancy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 800 was traded in on a 1200. 6000miles without an issue. All brands of sleds lay eggs.

Edited by Motorhead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brand A, B or C, can happen to anyone of them. Factor in the conditions they are run under, h/p they put out and how abusive many folks are, miracle any of em last at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a pair of Big Pussy Prepped sleds out for their first shake down test of the season getting ready for the big Quebec/Ontario tour next month.  All is running as intended.  Sorry folks, their not yellow.  With any luck, they will drive out of Quebec under their own power.

 

The snow is near Milverton where all trails (used to) lead.

 

20200119_132305.thumb.jpg.94d8fec35f3e487469ebd7b6a0954e20.jpg

 

20200119_132321.thumb.jpg.b4e537a20988ec63234a6b0c05769a23.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Here is a pair of Big Pussy Prepped sleds out for their first shake down test of the season getting ready for the big Quebec/Ontario tour next month.  All is running as intended.  Sorry folks, their not yellow.  With any luck, they will drive out of Quebec under their own power.

 

The snow is near Milverton where all trails (used to) lead.

 

20200119_132305.thumb.jpg.94d8fec35f3e487469ebd7b6a0954e20.jpg

 

20200119_132321.thumb.jpg.b4e537a20988ec63234a6b0c05769a23.jpg

Think trails will open soon or is base too thin? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The snow on this 225 acre farm had a crust covered with lots of fresh snow.  Some big drifts along fences.  I would say the average depth was about 8 inches.  I rarely touched down on any rocks.  There were no tracks on the Brunner trail crossing.  Deep ditch on the south side would stop a sled pretty quick.  There were tracks on the Sebringville to Mitchell trail crossing south of Wartburg.  No tracks in Shakespeare.  I would think there is enough for Milverton to start packing.  Another snowfall (I would not call it a storm) like this weekend and things would be good.  As long as it does not rain next weekend.  A storm is what we used to get in the 60's and 70's when the back roads were clogged and it took a day or two for the maintainer to plow them open.  My sister was stuck in Milverton one winter (Milverton High School) at a neighbour's Aunt and Uncles place.  I think it took two days before she got home.  1/4 mile of that was by tractor.  A little snow now gets everyone's kninckers knotted up pretty good.

 

21 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Think trails will open soon or is base too thin? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can not say enough good things about Marc at Plazek auto wreckers out of Hamilton. Looking for a fast solution to my problem drove out there with sled in trailer still from Quebec. Dropped of Thursday picked up yesterday.  The most clean and organized place I have seen. Has his own buds system.

Able to do anything dealer can do. Gone are the days of swap and run. I could have done the swap but time spent running back to dealer to program ecm to injectors and set up all functions would be pointless. My bottom end crank was shot as well so whole engine was a good choice. If you need any parts for all brands of sleds he is a good choice. Up and running again. 

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×