Sault accommodations

T769

Welcome to OC :wavey:

The Ambassador Motel on Great Northern Road (Hwy 17) is where we staged from for our Tracks to Trails trip years ago. Check the link in my signature for more info.

We staged at the Fairmont a couple of years ago.  This is almost next door to the Ambassador mentioned by Revrnd and the trail comes into the parking lot.  The caveat to these motels is that there is a significant amount of road running to get to these locations.  When there is good snow, this is not a problem, however, late season or after a thaw event, it may be problematic.

Dan Senior is local there and AC+YA often launches through the Sault.  AC+YA usually launches a few miles north from Searchmont,  I believe.

Good luck with your trip.

I'm sure Dan Senior will chime in. When we rode back into town in '06, the trail used a hydro cut that more or less dumped us into the Ambassador's backyard. 

image.png.43da44422acc5a963c584867712953cd.png

The Ambassador is on the west side of 17 & south of the Fourth Line (where the green trail 'ends'). It does appear that you have to run on the boulevard(?) south of there to the other motels.

There is no road running to the Ambassador - trail goes right into the parking lot - did it two years ago as did another OC member who had some trouble getting his large trailer in there.  Pool & sauna...

https://www.ambassadormotel.com/

Another alternative north of the Sault - Blueberry Hill Motel. Favourite of AC+YA. Has been frequented by Canuck who did not tell anyone that you have to hump your gear to the second floor,.  Indoor Pool. Trail quite close by with a road crossing.

http://www.onblueberryhill.com/

See map to trail in this report:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies :)

Outta town is Defiantly a option. We are just looking for a good spot to launch from for a multi day trip....possibly head wawa direction for a couple and then head Spanish/espanola area for another. If there are better places to start from I’m all ears. 
Thanks guys.

At the moment (01/14/20) the Cedar Swamp and the trail to the gas at the Zone and the Blueberry Motel are not open.  No way to go over to Searchmont from SSM on open trails.

Start at Searchmont  and drop at the Driftwood! 

• Like 3

There is away around Goulais river by running the road to Anglican Church road then down high 17 for a short distance to pick up the D trail to go from the Soo to searchmont then onto halfway and wawa. You can email the soo president of the local club for more info .  I will be riding that way on this Thursday going to wawa.

18 hours ago, Mark said:

There is away around Goulais river by running the road to Anglican Church road then down high 17 for a short distance to pick up the D trail to go from the Soo to searchmont then onto halfway and wawa. You can email the soo president of the local club for more info .  I will be riding that way on this Thursday going to wawa.

First you have to run the road over and back to the Zone also to get last gas on the way to Halfway.

I don't mind if the road is covered and no sand.  Just doesn't happen that way all the time.  Just like when the trail was changed to cut out the pretty part by the cliffs, now also a bit of road to run along the way.