Snowmobile Operators Card

RAMSOMAIR

My daughter got her snowmobile operators card when she turned 13. She has just recently turned 16 but has not started down that road yet of getting her G1. The question I have is now that she is 16 can she legally cross highways etc? She has always done so, but not really legally as per her permit. Also, Timmins has recently allowed use of some streets but must be 16 years of age. Does she qualify with the snow vehicle permit being 16 now but not regular driver's license?

She must hold a valid G1, G2 license to legally travel on or cross roadways. 

The snowmobile operators card is for on trail use only regardless of being 16 0r over. 

15 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

She must hold a valid G1, G2 license to legally travel on or cross roadways. 

The snowmobile operators card is for on trail use only regardless of being 16 0r over. 

I just looked the rules up in the Motorized Snowmobile act and it contradicts your statement above Yukon. If she is 16 and has a snowmobile operators license she can cross or drive along a highway.

Driving requirements

Driving along highway

9 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle along a highway unless,

(a) the person has attained the full age of sixteen years; and

(b) the person holds a driver’s licence; or

(c) the person holds a motorized snow vehicle operator’s licence; or

(d) the person is a resident of any other province, country or state and holds a licence issued by such province, country or state which authorizes the person to drive a motorized snow vehicle.  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 9 (1).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I just looked the rules up in the Motorized Snowmobile act and it contradicts your statement above Yukon. If she is 16 and has a snowmobile operators license she can cross or drive along a highway.

Driving requirements

Driving along highway

9 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle along a highway unless,

(a) the person has attained the full age of sixteen years; and

(b) the person holds a driver’s licence; or

(c) the person holds a motorized snow vehicle operator’s licence; or

(d) the person is a resident of any other province, country or state and holds a licence issued by such province, country or state which authorizes the person to drive a motorized snow vehicle.  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 9 (1).

Huh how bout that, and here I got my info from a driver trainer from a few years back. Correction noted. 

I had my operator certifcate in 1976.

I got mine when I turned 12 ... would have been 1981. I think I still have it somewhere....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Techdenis007 said:

I got mine when I turned 12 ... would have been 1981. I think I still have it somewhere....

I got my "tractor" drivers licence when I was 14, does that count?