Elk Lake / Gowganda Trails

Gowganda Lake Camp

I hope I don't wreck the new site Rick , but I am going to try to post a few pictures.

Set out on the groomer saturday morning after our much needed snow on friday. Here are a few before and after shots of the A107C from Gowganda to the " C" trail near shining tree.

53_866e3136f87118d736db97955362a010

262_05e6a2649b629c0e83f203956b3f8288

262_17024f7c8011fa032d28e025168c6b6e

262_7e3f9b26b709f09ac7906b4e5c19b009

262_d1f829f4190a07d02b4615045f07ccf6

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got in from a 14 hr tour re-packing/grooming the A107c from Elk Lake to Stumpy Lake and back. This was the third time this year and I ran into more water spots than the previous two times. Good news is that they all filled in good and everything is firming up excellent tonight. Overall the trail is in pretty good shape and ready to sign and open.

Hey Ron, I hope ya paid your volunteers! ( probably with candy eh?)

great pics man, hope to see ya in the near future

:lol:

Nope ( hot dogs and cheese)

Thanks for the posting and the pix G.L.C. What a difference from Southern Ontario :o

Very encouraging.

Hey STG I went to your website..... What the heck is that LMOL :lol:

Great news Ron, hoping to do those trails next week.. thanks for the update

Great pictures and great job posting them.. How's the ice fishing this winter? Can you please remind me how far from Sudbury your place is?

Hey Rick, haven't done alot of fishing yet. My dad and I went out once just off shore and got a Lake Trout and some whitefish.

We are about 3 hours north of sudbury up highway 144 to the Watershed then turn right on hwy 560 for 100k. By sled you take the C trail or C206D up to the A107c and turn right, follow trail to our door ( about 56k on A107c)

Ron

ps.. new site is looking good.

Great pictures and great job posting them.. How's the ice fishing this winter? Can you please remind me how far from Sudbury your place is?

Hey Rick, haven't done alot of fishing yet. My dad and I went out once just off shore and got a Lake Trout and some whitefish.

We are about 3 hours north of sudbury up highway 144 to the Watershed then turn right on hwy 560 for 100k. By sled you take the C trail or C206D up to the A107c and turn right, follow trail to our door ( about 56k on A107c)

Ron

ps.. new site is looking good.

Hey Ron.. Please contact me when some good ice fishing is going on.. There would be 4 of us.. Two sledders and 2 ice fishermen.... You'd take our ice fishing buddies out to their spot for the day and then go visit them and fish after a nice long ride. And there will be a few non-sledding/non icefishing women coming with us too.. Your place is one of my top "next ride weekend" places.. I spent alot of time in Gogama when I was younger (my friend owned a resort omn the lake) and always wanted to explore that area by snowmobile..

I'm coming, lock up your daughters :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey GLC how are the trails looking this week in your area?

Sorry for the slow response snowberg, I havn't been on for a few days. The trails are still looking pretty good. Had some friends and family up over the weekend so I recruited them to go for a ride up the L136 between us and Matachewan to check out if we can get it open soon. Except for the 30 trees that were down over the trail It wasn't too bad. I am going to start working on that one very soon.

We made it to Matach and then took the C106A over to the A trail and down to Elk Lake. Both trails were mint!!! Very Good Shape. There are still two spots in the bottom of a couple roller coaster hills on the A that the water has made sinks in the trail but both are marked with slow signs. We then came back to Gowganda on the A107C which is also in good shape ( could use one more snow to make perfect) Unfortunatly 25 km's of the beauty lake road section of the trail has been plowed but had enough snow . Had some sleds in today that came from the shining tree area and they said the A107c between gowganda and the C trail is still good. There are a few sinks in the trail there also from the water runoff but are signed and passable. The lake sections are really good this year so far too, no slushy spots yet.

Ron

Thanks for the update GLC. We have a small group coming up from North B to Shining T to New L and back to North B this weekend. With everything being up and down this season I just wasn't sure what was up :!::!::!::D

Great report Ron!! Love the pics!

Hope to make it to your place again this year!!!

Evil :twisted:

Thanks for the report Ron. Looking forward to our ride through on Friday and Saturday.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

AO

Went for a quick ride toward shining tree to check the trail. The trail is smooth with 3-4 " of fresh snow on it. Could use a grooming to make perfect but I won't be able to get to it until early next week as we are heading to a trade show in T.O . this weekend.

Have a good ride this weekend

Ron

Just in from grooming A107C between Gowganda and Shining tree. Just about all water washouts/sinks filled in really well.

Other good news is we have another groomer operator that started this week. He groomed the A trail in Elk Lake on Wed night and the A107c between Elk lake and Gowganda Last night. This is going to help us out huge.

Now off to bed. Leaving for T.O. in 4 hours. :poke:

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

All area trails now open !!!

A trail , A107C, C106A (matachewan) , L136 (Gowganda to Matachewan)

The A, C106a, A107c from elk lake to Stumpy lake all freshly Groomed, The L136 was groomed last sunday and has a couple inches of snow on it now.

I am going out tonight to groom the portion of A107c from Gowganda to the C trail intersection near shining tree.

Here is link to OFSC trail Status report

How's A107C from Gowganda to TOP C (south of Shining Tree)?

Archived