Only on a sled...

Rustyrivets

On 1/5/2020 at 2:44 PM, 02Sled said:

Only on a sled will you see places you couldn't otherwise. I don't recall which lake it was but it was heading home from Swift Rapids. As I rode down the long narrow lake I stopped and sat realizing there wasn't a single cottage on the shoreline on either side and when I shut the engine off it was complete silence. Not even a rustling tree....

Then there's the nature you see. Call me naïve but at one time I thought beavers hibernated. We're riding a twisting trail through the trees and up ahead here's a beaver about to cross the trail. It sees us coming, takes a few steps back and waits beside the trail for us to pass. Heading from Swift Rapids to C trail at the top end of Six Mile Lake and we take a bend in the trail. Ahead are 3 deer walking the trail.... they look back at us and keep walking. We follow slowly a good distance back. A while later they pause and look back as if "what you're still following us". This happens a couple more times then they head off the trail into the deeper snow. They stop about 75 ft from the trail and I presume waited for us to pass.

For some it's about how fast they can get from point A to B. For me I like to think I strike a happy medium where I actually get to see the things around me rather than have it a passing blur.

Beaver will start being 'visible' when things start to open up late in the season. My parents and I saw a beaver on E106 just south of 7 years ago. Another time on TOP E north of Highway 118, a beaver decided to cross the trail as our group was passing thru. S-I-L couldn't get stopped and ran it over. It never stopped just took off down the bank and into the water.

North of Hornepayne during the trip I posted the pics we saw a marten. He'd run a few feet away from the trail stop and look back. Did this about 3 times.

We lost @30cal4me 1 day north of Hearst when we were riding the loops. I pull up to the intersection near Shannon Lake & stop. Stand up to look back & only the S-I-L & my buddy, no sign of brother.

After about 5 minutes he comes into view probably going slower than what we had been doing, but his sled sounded fine. As he pulls up I walk back and ask him what happened. "Didn't you see the 'marten sets' (little wooden boxes w/ a trap inside) back there?"

:icon_doh:

"No!"

"See that's what you miss when you ride so fast" was his reply. He continued to say that he had seen 3 along the trail & was looking to see if the trapper had caught anything...

18 hours ago, gobills said:

Added them back weird how they disappeared.

The site wasn't accessible for most of the day and a couple of the posts I made before it went down were gone when it came back. I don't know what the problem was but when a system crashes often it is restored to a point in time backup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only on a sled would I stop to ask someone in their driveway where the Canadian Tire is, not understand a thing they said, then ride for 2 hours trying to find it and loving every minute. In La Sarre Quebec of all places, would never have went there but only on a sled.

I believe the groomer past through Coe Hill, just South of Bancroft today.:evil2: 

• Like 1

I've told this before, but prolly in the "North" page, so:

Back in Dec '96 we were heading N out of Dubreuilville on Luke's two lane highway after dark. No other tracks, and maybe 6" of fresh. I was running clean-up. (2 of us)

I could have sworn that I seen a small fox jump into the trail as soon as my buddy went through. look up and see me, and jump back out.

I was wide eyed in amazement of what I thought that I had seen....

But then I got's'ta thinkin' that my chum had a set of saddle bags from 1980 on his sled, and I was bett'n that one of them fell off and rolled around.

That made more sense than what I thought I'd seen....

So I slow way up to almost a stop.

Finally a cpl klicks later - my chum notices and stops, so I catch up.

But when I got there, I noticed that both saddle bags were on his sled. (and gas can)

So I told him what I thought that I'd seen, and ....

He said - "You seen that fox too?"

Different fox, but this one I "shot" many years ago while stopped at the T road at Pineal Lake, while exploring for Halfway to see if the hydro line on the other side could be used for trail.

FoxOnTheRun.jpg

Edited by Ox
  • Like 2

Only on a sled could I get this close to a red wolf. Our Twp borders Algonquin and we see a lot of them. I’ve had an awesome encounter with a pair of timber wolves also but not on film. 

5E0A9B33-83A8-4C1B-84CC-D5EB30B3CBEE.jpeg

5F519444-B9A2-43E2-B2CF-0F7503F89E71.jpeg

• Like 3

Knowing where Moonbeam is and telling non-sledding friends you've been there...many times! LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, gobills said:

Last winter in quebec.

20190204_165231.jpg

IMG_20190206_084451.jpg

Gobills that looks like the Pourvoirie du Barrage Gouin et Magnan. 
3B273AC3-C389-4485-8A16-3C96C64B6640.thumb.jpeg.9efdb5ca52462ca4e536f763a86edbf2.jpeg

• Like 2

only on a sled would you for 10 months earlier complain about cost of sledding and lack of snow and think about getting out of the sport but then first time you are on your sled immediately think about buying a new one..lol....

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Hit a rabbit and have your engine blow at the same time. Only on a sled. The curse of meekos continues for me and my buddy on his yamicat srx . My engine his chain case.  850 etc down at 11444km. BS. Trails were a 10 and 1 day ride. Drive 1500km to sled 1 day. Arggggg. Last year blew track off day 1. Laughs priceless

IMG_8168.jpg

20190323_185654.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 9:23 PM, TURBO DOO said:

Great photos guys. Love them all. I will post a picture that i have been waiting years to obtain.  As some of you might know, ive been joking with Canuck about getting on a 'Doo. Last seasons ride with Canuck, landed me the perfect opportunity to let him have at my '19 MXZ X 850. #SKI DON'T indeed.....

The look on his face,  his eyes, etc said it all to me. Priceless, and could only have happened sledding..B)..

Sorry Canuck, but you had to of known this pic would surface one day..:icon_photo::icon_photo:

20190302_140436.jpg

Too funny! Don't know how I missed this earlier.

"Ski-Don't" on a Doo. Nice sled ! I think I was exhausted and delusional from towing!!!!

I also recall Denis' slide. Surprised Doo paparazzi allow pics like this .... LOL.

Denis to the rescue!

20190302_102445.thumb.jpg.92e959f6f599b697e5d38247a7cea927~4.jpg

14 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Too funny! Don't know how I missed this earlier.

"Ski-Don't" on a Doo. Nice sled ! I think I was exhausted and delusional from towing!!!!

I also recall Denis' slide. Surprised Doo paparazzi allow pics like this .... LOL.

Denis to the rescue!

20190302_102445.thumb.jpg.92e959f6f599b697e5d38247a7cea927~4.jpg

Hahahaha..:D:ph34r::rotflmao:..