D201F Question NW of Elliot Lake

GTC

21 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

As of today, there is no way to get into the Sault coming from the east.  The mild weather has shut down the D100 and the D Trail east to Searchmont and Garden River Bridge is still not open.  The D201F is not open.  So many trees down and washouts to deal with.  I was at Connor Road today and spotted some of the volunteer vehicles in the parking lot.  If you are heading north from the Sault, Goulais is the last fuel stop before Halfway Haven.  There is no fuel at Searchmont unless riders arrange special delivery with one of the outfitters.

That is too bad. That d201F really needs some government funding to improve that key trail. Elliot lake is a great drop point for me too coming from south. Going to hurt  black creek, Aubrey falls and half way no doubt. 

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

That is too bad. That d201F really needs some government funding to improve that key trail. Elliot lake is a great drop point for me too coming from south. Going to hurt  black creek, Aubrey falls and half way no doubt. 

Aubrey Falls has not really been part of snowmobiling in a while.  They opened only when the trails were going well and for the weekends and could grab everyone because they had a bar.

Black Creek has always been there for everyone and still is 24/7.  Knock on the door!

Definitely going to hurt Black Creek real bad!  Hope they are still there next year!  Hurts Halfway too!  Just think about Dunlop Lake lodge and how many have booked to start or pass through and will not be there.

With the F trail gone, this destroys a very popular big loop.  Adding a day and stopping in SSM is not an option without another way to connect either.

It is going to hurt many, but without resources to fight mother nature there is no way to fix this.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

Aubrey Falls has not really been part of snowmobiling in a while.  They opened only when the trails were going well and for the weekends and could grab everyone because they had a bar.

Black Creek has always been there for everyone and still is 24/7.  Knock on the door!

Definitely going to hurt Black Creek real bad!  Hope they are still there next year!  Hurts Halfway too!  Just think about Dunlop Lake lodge and how many have booked to start or pass through and will not be there.

With the F trail gone, this destroys a very popular big loop.  Adding a day and stopping in SSM is not an option without another way to connect either.

It is going to hurt many, but without resources to fight mother nature there is no way to fix this.  

Well said..:right_on:..

• Thanks 1

**UPDATE**

***See my Post - 3 Posts Further Down.  ***

Although the D201F may / may not be officially open this winter, trappers and fishermen will be using most of that route.  We were sledding that section in the early 2000's before it officially became the D201 and it was well travelled.  From my recollection, the least travelled section was between the Whitman Dam Road and Laughing Lake road along the Domtar in the Witchdoctor Lake area.  Fishermen / campowners would travel up the Laughing Lake road to access Tujak and Gravel lake or even Gong Lake and Ranger NE. 

So, what has changed? Road maintenance is no longer happening, therefore, the washouts have been accumulating over the years.  What was passable 15 years ago is now a challenge in the year 2020.   In the end, fishermen and trappers will continue to use, should the D201F not open.

There is also another route, which is the Ranger NE, where you get into some higher elevations north of Dead Lake, it connects Gong Lake with the trail to Halfway up near the power line.  Again, some washouts, but interesting for challengers.

Edited by Dan-Senior

My chat with Black Creek Outfitters this morning

Chat Conversation Start
1509750_743409922377824_6073758531124917
1.7K people like this
Boat Rental
7:34 AM

Hi there, I'm planning my snowmobile trip February 15th and wondering if you have any information regarding D201F status? Thanks a lot.

Thank you for inquiry, someone will respond shortly.

Groomer has been across once trail is passable as of now groomer will be back over in a few days

Perfect, thanks a lot for reply see you soon. Regards Andrey

3 hours ago, andreyboater said:
My chat with Black Creek Outfitters this morning

Chat Conversation Start
1.7K people like this
Boat Rental
7:34 AM

Hi there, I'm planning my snowmobile trip February 15th and wondering if you have any information regarding D201F status? Thanks a lot.

Thank you for inquiry, someone will respond shortly.

Groomer has been across once trail is passable as of now groomer will be back over in a few days

Perfect, thanks a lot for reply see you soon. Regards Andrey

You may wish to clarify and confirm.

The Elliot Lake groomers arrived from the F trail yesterday at Black Creek.

Edited by Dan-Senior

D201F Good News!  

Audrey's post is correct.  Progress is being made on the D201F.  Re-confirmed by Black Creek Outfitters today.

• Like 1

BackCountry Riders - Ranger NE Route - D201F

For the BackCountry Riders, I drew in the Ranger NE Route (purple) a branch-off of the D201F.  Its quite scenic with the various lakes along the way.  The best part is, you will likely have the trail to yourself, because very few are up there except the trapper and a few fishermen. 

Attached are a few photos of our Ranger NE trip several years back. Loved It.  

** DISCLAIMER **

This is a non-ofsc route.  Washouts and downed trees are the expected norm.  Route drawn in for information purposes only.  Not recommended for riders without a detailed GPS ***

Ranger NE Route.jpg

SDC13639.JPG

SDC13642.JPG

SDC13643.JPG

SDC13666.JPG

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Like 1

Oh it would be awesome if the D201F did open up.  Having a hard time trying I figure a reroute to Wawa from Elliot lake with out adding aN extra day to my plans.  

Well it looks like the D201f is listed as limited now!  And the trail in Sudbury is also back on the map.  

49 minutes ago, yamaha06 said:

Well it looks like the D201f is listed as limited now!  And the trail in Sudbury is also back on the map.  

Still about 43 km. marked red north and west of Black Creek but looks like some road running would get you past it.

5 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Still about 43 km. marked red north and west of Black Creek but looks like some road running would get you past it.

Yeah, from Aubrey Falls you can just take Ranger Lake road and bypass the red section of trail and meet back up where the trail starts as limited.  

5 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Yeah, from Aubrey Falls you can just take Ranger Lake road and bypass the red section of trail and meet back up where the trail starts as limited.  

44 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

What is that road like to ride on? Looks like main highway in area. 

Yes it is a paved road , the plow driver does a good good of cleaning all the snow off the road . I think it was 10km (6miles) from the trail on Ranger lake road  to the secondary road /logging road turn right and follow to the trail. Not many spots to get off the road and get snow in your track so if you see a good spot get into it 

56 minutes ago, northstar said:

Yes it is a paved road , the plow driver does a good good of cleaning all the snow off the road . I think it was 10km (6miles) from the trail on Ranger lake road  to the secondary road /logging road turn right and follow to the trail. Not many spots to get off the road and get snow in your track so if you see a good spot get into it 

Is the secondary / logging road ploughed or well travelled so its easy to find?

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Is the secondary / logging road ploughed or well travelled so its easy to find?

Its a wide road and has been plowed in the past but if there not logging the area may not be plowed. 

8 hours ago, northstar said:

Ranger lake road (556) is NOT paved. it is a very well maintained gravel road, similar to the sultan road between chapleau, and sudbury. catch it right (on a sled) and it is nice, catch it after a warm up, or long period of no snow, and it isnt pleasant at all. Ski

29 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

Ranger lake road (556) is NOT paved. it is a very well maintained gravel road, similar to the sultan road between chapleau, and sudbury. catch it right (on a sled) and it is nice, catch it after a warm up, or long period of no snow, and it isnt pleasant at all. Ski

skidooboy is right, Ranger Lake Road is not paved.  I have traveled it many times by snowmobile and never had any issues.  If the weather turns out to be warm it may not be to great.  

I travel that section of the Ranger Lake road when taking the D201F, and have had good luck. It shortens your trip by 25 kms.  If you are heading west along the Ranger Lake road and looking for the turnoff to the Domtar it is right before the Aubinadong River bridge.  Part of the Domtar is sometimes plowed for logging reasons as indicated by others. 

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Thanks 1

Original D201F

A few photos of the 1st year the D201F was open in 2012/13. The Sault Club groomed the entire Domtar to the Ranger Lake road, then crossed the Ranger Lake road and ran an old logging road on the south side heading east.  It eventually jumped back out onto the Ranger Lake road, heading east to Aubrey Falls / Black Creek.  Logging, then became active on a portion of the Domtar for several years afterwards and it was plowed for the 11kms leading to where the trail branched off.  On a side-note of interest, the Domtar/Ranger Lake road junction was home to a former McFadden lumber camp many decades ago, hence the visible open clearing.  A good metal-detecting opportunity to pick up spilled poker money that fell through floorboards of old lumber buildings.

t_SDC10876.JPG

t_SDC10872.JPG

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Like 2

The Domtar portion of D201F was freshly groomed when we arrived on Friday (we laid first tracks for a klick or so) but I saw no signs of anything coming in from the east at all.

We did see some other tracks on it when we came back out a few hours later tho.

Once they hit the ice road (literally!) I have no clue where they came from / went, but prolly east towards F I'd guess. (not groomed yet)

If so - then you could likely stage at Black Creek and make it through. 

Maybe Dan and chums got enough deadfall cleared?

A lot of it has self righted with the warm weather, but there are still several down. 

About half or more of what is down at this point is broken, but some will still stand up once freed.

The fact that there was a "trail" in there was news to me.

We used to make the run from trail F down to the Domtar <20 yrs ago, and it was pretty tight in there for a ways.

Let me re-phrase that:

It was REALLY tight in there for a ways, and I questioned whether we could git through, but we did eventually.

Was just REALLY slow pickin's.

We used to unload at Johnny's.

Edited by Ox
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone rode the D201F lately?  Just wondering what kind of condition it is in.  Will be heading out that way Friday on my way to Wawa.