D201F Question NW of Elliot Lake

GTC

On 1/4/2020 at 9:10 AM, soupkids said:

Your first day is a short one.

4-5 hrs ride time max, a lot less if trails not busy.

Let me know when your heading up, I'll ride with you on day 1.

Change of plans Soup, we are still going to stage out of Sportsmans, but going to head north to Timmins and up to Hearst and back, I see a closed section just north of Sportsmans, forcing us to do the loop to the east, Do you think that little section might open soon. Thanks

Groups have been cancelling trip plans that use the D201F.   Too many unknowns about the trail status at this time.  Washouts, trees down, lack of volunteers.  Chad and I have been up there twice clearing trees. Black Creek also had a crew out.  No news from the Sault Trail Blazers on this route, mind you, the hard-working volunteers are continuing the battle with the recent ice storm to open the D trail to Searchmont from the Sault.  We are still booked for Dunlop Lodge on Feb 7-8th weekend.

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, GTC said:

Change of plans Soup, we are still going to stage out of Sportsmans, but going to head north to Timmins and up to Hearst and back, I see a closed section just north of Sportsmans, forcing us to do the loop to the east, Do you think that little section might open soon. Thanks

I assume your talking trail 78.

It should be yellow, not to worry, it's ok to travel it.

We had a groomer incident on it yesterday.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:43 PM, soupkids said:

I assume your talking trail 78.

It should be yellow, not to worry, it's ok to travel it.

We had a groomer incident on it yesterday.

Yes we are hoping to take the 78, save us some miles, and do the bigger loop on the way back .Never been on the C from Suds up to Timmins, that i remember!

Thanks for your info

GTC

From personal experience day 2 would of been a super long day, it’s not 380 km of fast trail riding.. Dunlop to halfway is what we usually do.. 

2 minutes ago, WinderFab said:

GTC

From personal experience day 2 would of been a super long day, it’s not 380 km of fast trail riding.. Dunlop to halfway is what we usually do.. 

Ok thanks, we have done up to 500 a day, not by choice just wrong mileage . We are trying to cut back to 350 max per day, Last couple years we have rolled into our rooms in the dark on a couple nights.

Not fun, I like sitting down having a refreshment by 4or 5

41 minutes ago, GTC said:

Ok thanks, we have done up to 500 a day, not by choice just wrong mileage . We are trying to cut back to 350 max per day, Last couple years we have rolled into our rooms in the dark on a couple nights.

Not fun, I like sitting down having a refreshment by 4or 5

It’s definitely a great ride from Dunlop to Wawa and further north, it’s just a slower ride than riding in Cochrane or where trails are more wide open straight and fast, when you get the opportunity to do this again make halfway your stop for the night, going all the way to wawa would be a late arrival.

Seems like they’re having problems opening up the trail north out of Dunlop to halfway, can’t blame them though as it’s a very remote area.

Im the same, like to be done by 5 or so and enjoy the evening..

We have been told that the D201F will not be groomed this year. No reason given just a message from the district manager.

2 minutes ago, Elliotgroomer said:

We have been told that the D201F will not be groomed this year. No reason given just a message from the district manager.

Wow disappointing news.. 

33 minutes ago, Elliotgroomer said:

Damn, I had plans for this season.

2 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yeah may as well drive to Timmins now. Same distance as the soo. Can still do the big loop that way! 

I wasn't planning a big loop. The wife and I like the owners at Dunlop Lake and I had planned her first saddle bag trip, Dunlop to Halfway and back. I have been watching for that trail to open and actually thought that would be inside the next week or so.

Guess I will have to look else where.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I wasn't planning a big loop. The wife and I like the owners at Dunlop Lake and I had planned her first saddle bag trip, Dunlop to Halfway and back. I have been watching for that trail to open and actually thought that would be inside the next week or so.

Yeah too bad. You could still go and end up over at Bruce mines area for a night. Not sure if still logging on d106 though. 
Trish at Dunlop was always good to us too. Great spot no doubt, hopefully it re opens next year or old F trail would be nice. 

4 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yeah too bad. You could still go and end up over at Bruce mines area for a night. Not sure if still logging on d106 though. 
Trish at Dunlop was always good to us too. Great spot no doubt, hopefully it re opens next year or old F trail would be nice. 

Ya, just had a plan in my head. Will have to look at options.

8 hours ago, Elliotgroomer said:

Will you still be grooming from Elliot Lake to Black Creek this winter?

Well that’s going to change my plans for this season.  We always ride Sudbury to Elliot lake, to Wawa, to Hearst, to Cochrane to Timmins and back to Sudbury.  

Is there any other good route that is quick to get back to the D trail?  Could probably head toward Sault Ste Marie and then head towards halfway but have never rode those trails and not sure how fast they are or how many gas stations there are. 

From the Sault, gas is at Goulais River, about 30 m out of town, and then at Halfway Haven, a further 180 Km.  Trails aren't as fast as northern corridor, but they aren't Muskoka winding either.

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sledjunk.  I just know riding from Sudbury to Elliot lake the trails aren't the fastest, we always looked forward to once we got outside of Elliot Lake when the trails opened up.  I was just looking at the trail map and we usually park at the Sudbury Trail Plan Association, now with everything messed up with this insurance for the OFSC there are so many trails that go no where in Sudbury.  Looks like we would have to go way out of the way now, we used to cut across to Chelmsford but that trail is now taken off the map.  This is making it really hard to plan our routes this year!!

18 minutes ago, yamaha06 said:

Thanks Sledjunk.  I just know riding from Sudbury to Elliot lake the trails aren't the fastest, we always looked forward to once we got outside of Elliot Lake when the trails opened up.  I was just looking at the trail map and we usually park at the Sudbury Trail Plan Association, now with everything messed up with this insurance for the OFSC there are so many trails that go no where in Sudbury.  Looks like we would have to go way out of the way now, we used to cut across to Chelmsford but that trail is now taken off the map.  This is making it really hard to plan our routes this year!!

Windy lake motel in Onaping is where we are staying on our loop. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

How about Windy Lake Motel, on hwy 144 at Onaping, to Dunlop Lake and back. If you want a little extra trail time, there are decent loops to ride out of Elliot Lake.

I would not give up on Dunlop Lake just because the direct run to Halfway Haven is not available. If the snow conditions are good enough to cover the rock, there are plenty of good trails in the area.

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

From the Sault, gas is at Goulais River, about 30 m out of town, and then at Halfway Haven, a further 180 Km.  Trails aren't as fast as northern corridor, but they aren't Muskoka winding either.

Hope this helps. 

I don't know if this is ongoing but Dan Senior posted a week or two ago that getting in and out of Goulais was an issue. Might want to check with him before going.

1 hour ago, yamaha06 said:

There my be a reroute, stay tuned to the itg.

Dan we will be heading to Black Creek this week sometime, most likely mid to end of week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I don't know if this is ongoing but Dan Senior posted a week or two ago that getting in and out of Goulais was an issue. Might want to check with him before going.

As of today, there is no way to get into the Sault coming from the east.  The mild weather has shut down the D100 and the D Trail east to Searchmont and Garden River Bridge is still not open.  The D201F is not open.  So many trees down and washouts to deal with.  I was at Connor Road today and spotted some of the volunteer vehicles in the parking lot.  If you are heading north from the Sault, Goulais is the last fuel stop before Halfway Haven.  There is no fuel at Searchmont unless riders arrange special delivery with one of the outfitters.

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

As of today, there is no way to get into the Sault coming from the east.  The mild weather has shut down the D100 and the D Trail east to Searchmont and Garden River Bridge is still not open.  The D201F is not open.  So many trees down and washouts to deal with.  I was at Connor Road today and spotted some of the volunteer vehicles in the parking lot.  If you are heading north from the Sault, Goulais is the last fuel stop before Halfway Haven.  There is no fuel at Searchmont unless riders arrange special delivery with one of the outfitters.

Still hoping to meet you at Dunlop Lake Lodge.  The trail showed open for a bit and then went back red after the golf course.  Are lakes deep with slush now?

Hope we can ride over from the Soo as we will be riding down from Chapleau and spending a night in SSM prior.  We are keeping our fingers crossed.