How much snow do you have?

Baylaker

Ok, we all know it’s been a very lousy start to the season. How much snow is in your area and when do you think trails might be open? Looking at the map...it’s not looking very great and as of right now it will be a very short season. Just trying to get an idea on when some trails might be open, if they’ll even open. I normally have a pretty positive outlook on life in general, but this sledding season isn’t looking too promising. Forecast looks like crap....AGAIN!! Lol

39 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Ok, we all know it’s been a very lousy start to the season. How much snow is in your area and when do you think trails might be open? Looking at the map...it’s not looking very great and as of right now it will be a very short season. Just trying to get an idea on when some trails might be open, if they’ll even open. I normally have a pretty positive outlook on life in general, but this sledding season isn’t looking too promising. Forecast looks like crap....AGAIN!! Lol

I have seen winters not start until February.  Here in southern Ontario we are all bummed out because of past winters. Good news is no two winters are alike but the string of mild winters the last 4 years, has me  wondering if snow is a thing of past here in kitchener area. Ground not frozen either so going to need some help from Jack Frost to blow in a polar vortex soon or trails will never last if we do get snow. Still hope lots of winter left. 

I take full responsibility for this.

My nickname is DarkCloud as every time we go on a motorcycle trip it rains;

this year for the first time I bought a snowmobile......it rains.

Definitely a pattern here.

I am sorry.

brian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I have seen winters not start until February.  Here in southern Ontario we are all bummed out because of past winters. Good news is no two winters are alike but the string of mild winters the last 4 years, has me  wondering if snow is a thing of past here in kitchener area. Ground not frozen either so going to need some help from Jack Frost to blow in a polar vortex soon or trails will never last if we do get snow. Still hope lots of winter left. 

I’m just over in fergus and it’s the same thing here. It’s starting to look and feel like it is a thing of the past. We used to get snow here, but the snow belt has moved much further north lately...

In the French River things are looking pretty bleak. We maybe have 3-4 inches but it's mostly gone now, aside from a thick layer of ice from early in December.  It was 2 degrees and above for the last 30 hours or so. If I didn't know it was January I'd guess it was early April. I couldn't even guess when we might be able to pack trails even with an Argo again, lots of water everywhere from all the melt. Unless a drastic change in the forecast January isn't happening.  It needs to get super cold up here. My suggestion is look for riding north of North Bay/Sudbury. 

It's really sucks because a month ago it looked like we'd be in great shape up here with early cold and not much snow, pretty dry in the bush to. 

About the same here in Eastern Ontario

No frost and limited snow in the forecast. I’m heading to Florida for 2 weeks and I’m optimistic things will be ready or very close to it when I get back. 
Couple new Polaris’ sitting in the shop ready to go. 

31 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

I’m just over in fergus and it’s the same thing here. It’s starting to look and feel like it is a thing of the past. We used to get snow here, but the snow belt has moved much further north lately...

Even Stratford isn’t getting snow it use too either and allot of other area’s. Funny thing is past few summers haven’t been that hot either and springs have been cool and wet. Hopefully winter returns soon, after all it is Canada. Next two weeks doesn’t look like anything like a classic Canadian winter forecast either, but can change overnight.. 

Its early, we have a couple inches of ice base here( West of Ottawa) So far i think this years weather is similar to last, we were late Jan 25 I think. 

But we groomed almost until the end of March. Its rare that we groom around the holidays. 

1 hour ago, Dragon600 said:

About the same here in Eastern Ontario

No frost and limited snow in the forecast. I’m heading to Florida for 2 weeks and I’m optimistic things will be ready or very close to it when I get back. 
Couple new Polaris’ sitting in the shop ready to go. 

With you there. Bike is loaded and we head out for Fla. in the A.M. Hopefully things make a U turn by the time we get back on or about the 20th.

56 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

I think if i start complaining, i will get out of the sport. That being said, i can still see my lines in the lawn from my JD. Heading to labelle province soon. Cant worry about around here anymore.  Expect the worst, and hope for the best. B)

No since complaining can’t change weather. When you leaving? 

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Even Stratford isn’t getting snow it use too either and allot of other area’s. Funny thing is past few summers haven’t been that hot either and springs have been cool and wet. Hopefully winter returns soon, after all it is Canada. Next two weeks doesn’t look like anything like a classic Canadian winter forecast either, but can change overnight.. 

Yup.   I live in Mitchell and on a "normal" year I can sled from my back door.   We dont have any snow here to speak of.   In fact, I raked my lawn on Boxing Day.   With the warm temps and the lack of snow in the long range forecast for this area, I cant see us getting out in January at all .   I love sledding but I only have 2-3 more years left in me if we dont get at least 1 good winter locally soon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Yup.   I live in Mitchell and on a "normal" year I can sled from my back door.   We dont have any snow here to speak of.   In fact, I raked my lawn on Boxing Day.   With the warm temps and the lack of snow in the long range forecast for this area, I cant see us getting out in January at all .   I love sledding but I only have 2-3 more years left in me if we dont get at least 1 good winter locally soon.  

So sad. I use to sled out of Mitchell in mid 90’s. My grand parents lived right across from area. Cars had trouble navgating streets. Banks were up to shoulder high too. Miss those days. Use to snow like crazy there. 

My buddies were riding their MX bikes at Gopher Dunes today.    :( 

Edited by scottyr

7 hours ago, Candubrain said:

I take full responsibility for this.

My nickname is DarkCloud as every time we go on a motorcycle trip it rains;

this year for the first time I bought a snowmobile......it rains.

Definitely a pattern here.

I am sorry.

brian

I blame Brian. I suggest a ritual sacrifice. What have we got to lose? Who's in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I blame Brian. I suggest a ritual sacrifice. What have we got to lose? Who's in?

Sacrifice a old Ski Doo to Odin .....LOL.  

Saw a guy riding his motorcycle yesterday.   I may start doing the same as its warm enough to wash the salt and grit off after a ride

I'm in for a ritual sacrifice as long as its not me tied to a burning stake....

May have the opportunity to head north the week of the 13th.  Hopefully by then I don't have to go all the way to Cochrane....nothing against the area, just a long drive

brian

Sorry. About +20” or so in the Thunder Bay - Geraldton region. Strictly off trail/back woods/pipeline runs around here. Lots of slush on the lakes makes for sloppy fishing. 

Checked snow depth just west of Ayr .75”, yesterday 0.00000”. Ground is not frozen. Fortunately for me I only sled from our cottage located near Parry Sound not good there either (lol) Note to DarkCloud- please sell sled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Might have 4 inches in Kearney.Almaguin groomers have not turned a track yet. Highland Rovers were out just before Christmas on the Seguin but they are also parked. Friends of mine that rent a cottage on Sand Lake for the winter just left Kearney this morning and are heading to Cochrane for a few days.

Edited by snowchopper

Just my observation. The past 10+ years or so, it seems all the seasons seem to be starting about a month late.

Still have spotty areas of white in the Lakefield area.

14 hours ago, HarleyDodge said:

With you there. Bike is loaded and we head out for Fla. in the A.M. Hopefully things make a U turn by the time we get back on or about the 20th.

I’m back the 19th and that’s what I’m hoping for too

9 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I may just sacrifice both our sleds for you guys.

• Like 1