West side of Abitibi canyon

3 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

If you read the note from the NCDN, its a portion from redsucker creek, north to the dam...:poke2:

So according to the NCDN statement it is OPG that the issue is with. Am I correct in thinking OPG is the power generating business and Ontario Hydro is the transmission (line & tower/pole) business.  

I'm thinking OPG owns the dam and therefore the road over the dam. Maybe they own or control some of the property south of the dam as far as Redsucker Creek on the west side as well.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

15 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

So according to the NCDN statement it is OPG that the issue is with. Am I correct in thinking OPG is the power generating business and Ontario Hydro is the transmission (line & tower/pole) business.  

I'm thinking OPG owns the dam and therefore the road over the dam. Maybe they own or control some of the property south of the dam as far as Redsucker Creek on the west side as well.

OPG posted that OFSC was the one that they where waiting on. Obviously someone somewhere does not like the wording of the agreement as stated in the release from the NCDN..

Screenshot_20200209-163731_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Makes sense Brian     Side note :  Ontario Hydro was split up and Hydro One is the transmission part  I know since I have been billed ( or say gouged ) by them for 20 years and now they switched me to Waterloo North Hydro...and my bills have been reduced.

Hydro one have been good to deal with, OPG on the other hand.

We lost a trail because of OPG.

11 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Maybe there is some liability concerns about Fredrick house river crossing, when Dam adjusts the water levels. Been a few sledders caught in slush when that happens. 

How does that have anything to do with the west side of the canyon loop??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Who wants to take on the liability of the off trail riders in the OPG owned Canyon as well?  Just my thoughts!

• Like 1

What about the power corridor north & south of Timmins that TOP C runs on. Is it Crown Land w/ an easement or owned by Hydro 1/OPG?

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

What about the power corridor north of Timmins that TOP C runs on. Is it Crown Land or owned by Hydro 1/OPG?

Dont try to help.  If that loop to the canyon is the only issue they have.

Good

At least it didn't close a touring loop..

Lots of this province to see with out that.

To bad if it stays closed but a lot of bigger irons in the fire..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rich Saul said:

Dont try to help.  If that loop to the canyon is the only issue they have.

Good

At least it didn't close a touring loop..

Lots of this province to see with out that.

To bad if it stays closed but a lot of bigger irons in the fire..

I guess my frustration is that this whole fiasco seems hit or miss. Trails are good to go 'here' w/ the current OFSC insurance/LUP & the same authority has a problem 'there'...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

I guess my frustration is that this whole fiasco seems hit or miss. Trails are good to go 'here' w/ the current OFSC insurance/LUP & the same authority has a problem 'there'...

that's the way I see it too    we are one trail system 

• Like 1

I fear that without the loop being completed it will be the end of the canyon trips. Base camp will not be able to survive with a lot less traffic.

So just checked for the private vs crown land... drew on the open trail to put it into reference for everyone. The light beige colour is crown land for general use. The two darker areas are protected. The grey areas (mostly around town) are private property.

1577183476_Untitled2.thumb.png.f6ea7885aed985cbe308f10d178c103f.png

This may have something to do with the reason the trail is closed? Wetland Conservation Reserve?

1068151103_Untitled2c.thumb.png.e555cf0178a8124997afe684215062f1.png

120793104_Untitled2b.thumb.png.5e3d36496bc3f694a7c19d6ae892d801.png

Also, not sure where people ride the "canyon portion" but eventually if they go far enough, it does turn into a conservation reserve. I do think that 99% of the guys who try and climb the hill and venture a bit into the canyon are on crown land. Looks like you'd have to travel 5-10kms in the canyon to leave crown land. 

1192408195_Untitled2a.thumb.png.5b59d425e7cd60f42008b6c3d0cebf0e.png

Edited by Basketcase
  • Thanks 2

IT'S GONE...... just find out, back to city from the cottage opened ITG and was shocked:sad: 

Canyon.png

Edited by andreyboater
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

IT'S GONE...... just find out, back to city from the cottage opened ITG and was shocked:sad: 

Canyon.png

Yep as if it never existed.

• Sad 1

I highly expected that was all Crown.

I am a Realtor and have access to the land registry data and there is a patch of the west trail that is owned by OPG.   I am sure that is the reason for the closure.   Everything else is Crown Land.   OPG, Hydro and the railway are the only "owners" of land in that area.   

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I am a Realtor and have access to the land registry data and there is a patch of the west trail that is owned by OPG.   I am sure that is the reason for the closure.   Everything else is Crown Land.   OPG, Hydro and the railway are the only "owners" of land in that area.   

Hopefully opg will give sledders access again. Hoping for March but it looks like that might not happen now. Too bad. That trail was still good in April most years. First to open and last to close usually. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Just got done talking to the president of district 2 about this. He didn’t seem to concerned at all about the issue but did say that the one section is lost for the year but things will be in order for next year.  

• 10 months later...