West side of Abitibi canyon

Just read on the Base Camp FB page that no agreement has been singed by Ont Hydro for trail access between Smooth Rock & west side of Abitibi canyon ... is this true ?... is this going to be another closed trail ?

All these insurance related closures as of late are going to start hurting the vendors/hotels/restaurants very very soon. I hope this is not the beginning of the end of a very profitable winter sport.

It is starting to look as if its going to go down that road.  The trail system may still be there but i can see it being very patchy in the future, due to lack of reroutes like we are seeing now.

Where the (fill in the blank) is the Ministry of Tourism? They love to promote the sport but sure don't seem to help the sport.

What about the hydro corridor TOP A uses along Highway 11 or TOP C north & south of Timmins?

Seems fishy when Hydro 1 seems to nit pick about insurance in 1 area & gives the green light in another. Isn't the OFSC's insurance the same across all the clubs?

I wonder how the FCMQ deals w/ Hydro Quebec?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Where the (fill in the blank) is the Ministry of Tourism? They love to promote the sport but sure don't seem to help the sport.

What about the hydro corridor TOP A uses along Highway 11 or TOP C north & south of Timmins?

Seems fishy when Hydro 1 seems to nit pick about insurance in 1 area & gives the green light in another. Isn't he OFSC's insurance is the same across all the clubs?

I wonder how the FCMQ deals w/ Hydro Quebec?

Insurance regulations in ON are far different than what they are in QC......plus a whole, is there not a lot less internal turmoil within the province of QC than ON, or any other provinces really other than ON....:headbang:

The OFSC has been dealing w/ this nonsense for several years. I don't think you can pin it on the current government.

The MNR is well known for its foot dragging when it comes to project approval.

MNR is just another publically funded org within our province, another level of "government"....just another thing that does not run as smooth as it could.

Dealing with this sort of stuff, sure could take the wind out of your sail as a volunteer and get old real fast....

This insurance issue seems to be snow balling. CP rail here in Sudbury, Midland made the news, District 9 with the Grand River Conservation Authority, now the OPG. 

I'm sure we aren't going to here the end of this. It's just puts more of a work load on club volunteers trying to sort out this crap which some of us don't want to deal with.

I like to know what the OFSC is doing, they seemed to be pretty quite on this whole issue.

33 minutes ago, Kaz said:

This insurance issue seems to be snow balling. CP rail here in Sudbury, Midland made the news, District 9 with the Grand River Conservation Authority, now the OPG. 

I'm sure we aren't going to here the end of this. It's just puts more of a work load on club volunteers trying to sort out this crap which some of us don't want to deal with.

I like to know what the OFSC is doing, they seemed to be pretty quite on this whole issue.

This insurance issue does sound like it’s going to be a issue in days to come ,last time I made a statement like this about our beloved OFSC on here I got roasted ,watch out 

2 hours ago, Kaz said:

It should be put back to the ofsc and not on the clubs they all have enough to do on the ground.

43 minutes ago, gobills said:

It should be put back to the ofsc and not on the clubs they all have enough to do on the ground.

Personally I do not believe that it should be put back on Barrie to deal with. I don't believe that they have as much invested as the affected clubs in this situation in terms of time invested and desire to have a workable trail system. The clubs and districts do need head office to back them up and help get this snowball stopped before it becomes an avalanche.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

11 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

All these insurance related closures as of late are going to start hurting the vendors/hotels/restaurants very very soon. I hope this is not the beginning of the end of a very profitable winter sport.

Perhaps all those vendors/hotels/restaurants could pick up the phone and call their MPP, the Ministers of Transportation, Tourism  and the Premiers Office to voice their concerns. As a sport, we are going to need lots of outside support to resolve the issues. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Base Camp didn’t say RIDE the West Side, they explained why it’s still posted as Closed. 

• Like 2

These are big government or quasi government agencies we are dealing with. OPG, MNR, CP, GRCA. To let the clubs individually fend for themselves is a lot of work for the volunteers. You would think the OFSC management coupled with tourism Ontario, obviously with local club guidance - could bring some clout to the table. 

As the previous comment - would love to know how FCMQ handles things in their province. They have a very smooth running machine. (must be the result of our transfer payments at work).

You would think this stuff would be tackled way back in the summer or early fall. It all seems to surface at the start of the season hurting the trail network from getting going.

MS

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sevey said:

These are big government or quasi government agencies we are dealing with. OPG, MNR, CP, GRCA. To let the clubs individually fend for themselves is a lot of work for the volunteers. You would think the OFSC management coupled with tourism Ontario, obviously with local club guidance - could bring some clout to the table. 

As the previous comment - would love to know how FCMQ handles things in their province. They have a very smooth running machine. (must be the result of our transfer payments at work).

You would think this stuff would be tackled way back in the summer or early fall. It all seems to surface at the start of the season hurting the trail network from getting going.

MS

You don't know how long the club(s) have been working on this. It could be a very long time that discussions have been underway. It just comes to light when there is an actual impact. I know dealing with those large government bodies and their legal is a very slow process at best.

10 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

You don't know how long the club(s) have been working on this. It could be a very long time that discussions have been underway. It just comes to light when there is an actual impact. I know dealing with those large government bodies and their legal is a very slow process at best.

Any that has spent time on a club executive will know this first hand. Those bodies don't have the same sense of urgency that the clubs have. Chances of a process that started at the end of 1 season being completed before the start of the next season are slim.

I agree items like this often take time. I believe I saw that OPG posted on the base camp Facebook page under the comments  For that post saying the delay is due to OFSC. I can’t seem to find it now as I don’t have facebook... but interesting comment none the less. 

1 hour ago, willb said:

I agree items like this often take time. I believe I saw that OPG posted on the base camp Facebook page under the comments  For that post saying the delay is due to OFSC. I can’t seem to find it now as I don’t have facebook... but interesting comment none the less. 

I saw that post as well

image.png.42f793ecf62aed1f8337054d5e1ad498.png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, willb said:

anything like concerns over wording on an insurance policy or a legal agreement NEVER go quickly. Lawyers can pass a document back and forth many times, sometimes with nothing more than one word change each time.

22 hours ago, 02Sled said:

anything like concerns over wording on an insurance policy or a legal agreement NEVER go quickly. Lawyers can pass a document back and forth many times, sometimes with nothing more than one word change each time.

Billable hours?