Fuel Mileage Challenge (kind of)

revrnd

Saw this thread:

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1576581-abitibi-loop-on-one-tank-of-gas/#entry23172889

Not exactly a loop, but interesting. Checking the ITG & it's 222 klicks.

re:Leaf on his 900, rode from Timmins to Gowganda last winter w/o refilling.

reLeaf went 267 klicks & took 38 L to fill. He said that he rode 60 klicks after the Low Fuel light came on.

I did SRF to the Westway on my 800 E-tec on 32L, 220 km's (2 years ago).

I challenge any other 800 class sled to do better. 

Edited by Techdenis007
  • Like 1

600 ace i would expect that also. Denis 800 is great on fuel, and i agree with his challenge.  I am pretty sure my 19' 850 could do the loop from SRF to Cochrane,  but you would need the ability to stay off the flipper,  alot. Mrs. Turbo Doos 900 would have no issues at all..

• Like 2

Our group routinely exceed 250 km with our 120" and 129" 900 Doos. Last year, one buddy rode Duby to Searchmont (bypassing Wawa), 324 km, with his '15 900 TNT. Still had over a litre of fuel left. We pass more people than pass us, so we aren't coasting. 

• Like 1

Mistakingly found out last winter that my wife's renegade (900 ace) runs dry at 260 kms.  My blizzard (also 900 ace) made the next 5 km to get to the fuel stop and still had more to go.  No interest in pushing this game any further.  Not fun when it just quits on you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Mistakingly found out last winter that my wife's renegade (900 ace) runs dry at 260 kms.  My blizzard (also 900 ace) made the next 5 km to get to the fuel stop and still had more to go.  No interest in pushing this game any further.  Not fun when it just quits on you.

I haven't run out of gas, but a friend had a couple of Yammis in the 90s that had crappy range. His 600 pogo stick Vmax ran out of gas about 4 miles out of Deep River (left Mattawa full) on a RAP tour. I made it to town fine w/ my 440.

I have run out 2 1/2 times. Twice on trail and once as it made it on the trailer, that was a close one. Two times on trail was less than 3 kms from the pumps. 

All were on my 03 Rev, less than 100 miles per tank. Fun sled, god awful range.

Some sleds are legendary... With a carbed 2t nobody's taking chances! Better to sputter out than to go out with a bang. 

• 2 weeks later...

Filled wifes sled yesterday "always fill full and burp each time "   242km on wifes 900 ace and was 28.4 L to fill no fuel lite yet and still showing a bar on gauge.  Still had 11.6L in tank. And it never goes off sport mode  .  Now if only my 900t would do that.

• Haha 1

Anyone know what the range is on an 2014 viper ?

I have been running a 10 gallon ad-on tank to my sleds for the last 20 yrs, and I planned to doo the same on my new 850 / 165 Summit, but it doesn't seem to be taking too much gas, but I haven't done a long ride yet to be sure. But for now - I think I am going to toss on a 2gal jerry and see how that goes.

I have yet to burn more than 15 gallons on my '02 800/151-163 Summit in one day, unlike the 20+ that I have burnt in my old 580/136.

More power and bigger footprint (float) = less fuel.

Now adding the fuel infection, and maybe the 2 gal jerry will be the same amount of safety that I had before?

Hopefully have a better feel for it in a few weeks.

18 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Anyone know what the range is on an 2014 viper ?

I believe it has a 40 litre tank. If you ride fast you should easily be good for 200 km.

3 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I believe it has a 40 litre tank. If you ride fast you should easily be good for 200 km.

Gas tank is about 37 liters.  Should go better than 200 km but it depends on the factory high rpm clutching and the friction of every 2nd track clip being missing.  Correcting those issues makes the fuel mileage better.  From my own experience, last year went from Gowganda with burped tank to Rockys.  I think around 180 km and used 26 liters to fill it.

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

Gas tank is about 37 liters.  Should go better than 200 km but it depends on the factory high rpm clutching and the friction of every 2nd track clip being missing.  Correcting those issues makes the fuel mileage better.  From my own experience, last year went from Gowganda with burped tank to Rockys.  I think around 180 km and used 26 liters to fill it.

I just looked at 3 different websites and all say a 2014 Viper has 40 litres / 10.6 US gallon fuel capacity. Maybe the Cat version had a smaller tank.

The tanks are the same !  The Yamaha spec sheet is BS.  This has been proven.  And once it is proven it is good proof.

The manufacture ususally quotes theorical capacity before any guages and air locks... so this could be the difference 37 vs 40 .Getting back to the orginal question the Viper and the blizzard 900ace are roughly the same, meaning don't try and go over 240 ish km to be safe as I don't carry gas and I am unfamilar with the cochrane area trails

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

:right_on:

Just checked the ITG & it's 171 klicks.

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

The tanks are the same !  The Yamaha spec sheet is BS.  This has been proven.  And once it is proven it is good proof.

Is this what you had in mind?

A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven.

:baghead:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

The manufacture ususally quotes theorical capacity before any guages and air locks... so this could be the difference 37 vs 40 .Getting back to the orginal question the Viper and the blizzard 900ace are roughly the same, meaning don't try and go over 240 ish km to be safe as I don't carry gas and I am unfamilar with the cochrane area trails

Up north you don't pass any gas stations, you never know what may be in store @ your destination. I don't think Re:leaf would've tried the experiment if he didn't have the caddy.

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven.

That's it exactly.  Johnny Crutton.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Don't be worried about fuel availability in the Northern Corridor. There is fuel available (at least in the daytime) everywhere you will be riding.  About the longest stretch up there without fuel is the east side of the Abitibi Canyon (140 km. approx.) I would think. The ITG shows very little of the actual gas availability. Enjoy your ride.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Good to know.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:23 AM, Big Pussy said:

Agree.  We rode 2 Cat 7000's one day and they both ran out of fuel within 1 km of each other at almost exactly 130 miles.  We both had a couple extra gallons and finished the ride back to town.  We came into Dub from Halfway and decided to run out to a lake north of town without gassing up.  Back in the days when it was hard to get gas there.  We were riding hard and thus this was deemed to be a minimum distance they were good to go.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 1:29 PM, Muskoka Bill said:

Did a four day trip last year with my 900 Blizzard, a 1200 Renegade, an older 1200 (geared taller than stock) short track and a '15 Viper 129". The Viper consistently took the most fuel, followed by the Renegade 1200 and my 900 always took the least fuel by a significant amount. This past week running north on the C trail, the low fuel light on for 50+ km, my Blizzard would only accept 31.4 L (double burped) in Timmins. Skidoo says the tank is 40 L. Yesterday AM we left Gowganda full, again burped. I rode 277 km to the trailer, not sparring the throttle, again with warning light on for over 40 km. I hope to siphon remaining fuel from the tank this week to see how much was left. Then I will fill and see how many litres it actually holds. On that same Gowganda to Windy Lake ride, my buddy's 120" 900 ace just showed the low fuel warning after about 260 km.

My '15 Renegade 600 etec was good on fuel, but not as good as my 900. 

• Like 3