Cochrane area conditions

coolbane

34 minutes ago, coolbane said:

it is a bit disappointing how few trail reports are posted on OC. With so many sleds in Cochrane over the past few days, surely there are more OC’ers up there who can do actual trails reports.  

to damm hard to text and ride.   and as of jan 1st even worse fines.   LOL        14 hrs  and counting till heading back up to cottage.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, coolbane said:

On our way back south now after a good 2.5 days of riding pretty decent trails. 

As a general comment, it is a bit disappointing how few trail reports are posted on OC. With so many sleds in Cochrane over the past few days, surely there are more OC’ers up there who can do actual trails reports.  

Generally, reading actual reports on trails conditions or rides, etc....has always been less than what it could be. OC is one of the places you do get more updates/reports from though, but when you usually (not always) receive criticism from some based on the report or picture you post, you tend to think twice the next time you are considering posting a picture, report, etc.....

42 minutes ago, stoney said:

Generally, reading actual reports on trails conditions or rides, etc....has always been less than what it could be. OC is one of the places you do get more updates/reports from though, but when you usually (not always) receive criticism from some based on the report or picture you post, you tend to think twice the next time you are considering posting a picture, report, etc.....

X2 on that 

2 hours ago, stoney said:

A Big X3. Or better yet,  the  negative  comments you receive from people who have never rode the area your posting about, making false statements etc.  I still think this is a great spot for trail reports. I for one think, based on cooksters report, it gives a good idea at whats there, along with others reports. 

Edited by TURBO DOO

2 hours ago, stoney said:

X2... you say it was pretty good riding and someone else goes out then comes back and is upset because they didn't think it was good when they got there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Saw a ton of trucks and trailers heading north yesterday, any riding is good riding folks.

• Like 1

You want a report, here's one.  A trail from Greenwater to SRF was the worst moguls I've ever seen, BUT  BUT  they hadn't groomed it in a while, AND they are human beings wanting to spend time with families over the holidays, SO it's to be expected.  I would think that today, 2 days later, it will have been groomed (they had gone West the day we went to SRF, New Years day).

Canyon West side is Unavailable, but had been groomed at least once prior to the insurance issue with OPG, so they were instructed to stop grooming it.  Canyon East side was quite rough the day we rode it, longer straight sections were very decent but corners and twisties were rough enough to make me concerned about losing my 14L LinQ can .... 

A trail East of Greenwater to Cochrane is very good, the odd bumpy section.  A trail South of Cochrane is excellent, well groomed.  A trail to Iroquois Falls and the L trails in and out of IFalls are excellent.  Once you hit Timmins section of trails, they're a bit rougher but very rideable, as there had been a report of a groomer down for repairs .. ?  Still well rideable, but rougher close to town, which is typical.

I'll probably get roasted for posting discouraging posts about trail conditions now .....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the no BS report Denis.   
With some of the only trails available province wide and it being the holidays, tabletop and 10/10 trails can’t be a realistic expectation.   
Like you said, folks have lives and PBR as well as the other clubs up there are doing their best.  

We’re headed up next week and hopefully its slowed down a bit and a lot of the traffic has gone back to work.  

Edited by monte1214
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Techdenis007 said:

You want a report, here's one.  A trail from Greenwater to SRF was the worst moguls I've ever seen, BUT  BUT  they hadn't groomed it in a while, AND they are human beings wanting to spend time with families over the holidays, SO it's to be expected.  I would think that today, 2 days later, it will have been groomed (they had gone West the day we went to SRF, New Years day).

Canyon West side is Unavailable, but had been groomed at least once prior to the insurance issue with OPG, so they were instructed to stop grooming it.  Canyon East side was quite rough the day we rode it, longer straight sections were very decent but corners and twisties were rough enough to make me concerned about losing my 14L LinQ can .... 

A trail East of Greenwater to Cochrane is very good, the odd bumpy section.  A trail South of Cochrane is excellent, well groomed.  A trail to Iroquois Falls and the L trails in and out of IFalls are excellent.  Once you hit Timmins section of trails, they're a bit rougher but very rideable, as there had been a report of a groomer down for repairs .. ?  Still well rideable, but rougher close to town, which is typical.

I'll probably get roasted for posting discouraging posts about trail conditions now .....

Are you sure this is accurate???..B).. you wanted a roast,  right?.

Thanks buddy for the actual conditions report...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snowmobiles have suspension, very good suspensions actually, if you're expectation is tabletop all day everyday, I would recommend you quit now and find another hobby. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Techdenis007 said:

Thanks Denis, there is good information which would help me plan my day of sledding. That is, if I wasn't stuck here at work all day!!

I've given the District Office the heads up that they'll be hearing from you about those horrible trail conditions. 

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Claire Voyant said:

I've given the District Office the heads up that they'll be hearing from you about those horrible trail conditions. 

That is an uncalled statement IMHO. Denis gave an accurate trail report but more importantly he was quick to mention that volunteers need their family time and reasons for some of the rough trails.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Techdenis007 said:

You can text me as to who won eh?.. like i am waiting...B):wtf::poke2::icon_tongue:..

3 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

You can text me as to who won eh?.. like i am waiting...B):wtf::poke2::icon_tongue:..

Everybody won, no failures and no crashes.  And as for what you're actually referring to, didn't happen ... too many witnesses .... :icon_doh:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

That is an uncalled statement IMHO. Denis gave an accurate trail report but more importantly he was quick to mention that volunteers need their family time and reasons for some of the rough trails.

Thank you PLC.  I appreciate that, more than you'll ever know.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Have some tact! It's a real wonder why the federation has as much difficulty as it does getting new volunteers out to help. Perhaps a different approach would have been a better direction?

Stop with the side comments and pokes, it's not welcome here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

Haaaaaaaa....:icon_steer:

I was there. I saw nothing......

• Like 2

Some pics .... 

Gulley West of Iroquois Falls ..

81911439_2756184231117627_13628816380018

Bullwinkle in the middle of the pic ... there were 2 on the trail ... 

81127112_2756184391117611_28807200009166

Several mine tunnel pics ... 

81702366_2756184367784280_36612399494426

81624701_2756184561117594_72084761982407

81298315_2756184601117590_75452058991497

Lunch at Mike's in Timmins.

81817617_2756184707784246_49835314406678

I just realized that these are all taken on non-Cochrane trails, sorry .... lol !

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

This was intended as a joke, correct? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tricky said:

I think not. 

• Sad 1

On 1/3/2020 at 9:24 AM, Claire Voyant said:

13 hours ago, tricky said:

OK, so it looks like I was wrong and there was no joke intended. If that is the case, it is really unfortunate that good and valuable information can't be shared without reprisal. I know that since I joined this forum, primarily to get real-life, firsthand reports of trail conditions, I have been able to plan the best trips for our group that we've ever had (and we were at this along time before I found you guys). When two to six people are taking from 4 days to over a week's vacation, including shutting down small businesses, there is a lot at stake. Several contributors to this forum have helped me pick the best times and places to take sledding vacations to such various destinations as Mattawa/North Bay, Timmins, Elliot Lake, Searchmont, Wawa/Dubeuilville, Hearst, Cochrane, Kirkland Lake, Sudbury,.....The detail that OCers have offered supplements the trail conditions as reported on the ITG and minimizes the chances of an expensive vacation wasted. I hope those who have helped me know who they are,. Thank you, and please continue to offer less knowledgable sledders excellent advice on not just trail conditions but, 'do arounds', accommodations, fuel, food etc. We can't expect the ITG to give us all the info we need to make good planning decisions, and we shouldn't try to muzzle conscientious sledders offering advice.

If not a joke, maybe it was a misunderstanding.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, tricky said:

OK, so it looks like I was wrong and there was no joke intended. If that is the case, it is really unfortunate that good and valuable information can't be shared without reprisal. I know that since I joined this forum, primarily to get real-life, firsthand reports of trail conditions, I have been able to plan the best trips for our group that we've ever had (and we were at this along time before I found you guys). When two to six people are taking from 4 days to over a week's vacation, including shutting down small businesses, there is a lot at stake. Several contributors to this forum have helped me pick the best times and places to take sledding vacations to such various destinations as Mattawa/North Bay, Timmins, Elliot Lake, Searchmont, Wawa/Dubeuilville, Hearst, Cochrane, Kirkland Lake, Sudbury,.....The detail that OCers have offered supplements the trail conditions as reported on the ITG and minimizes the chances of an expensive vacation wasted. I hope those who have helped me know who they are,. Thank you, and please continue to offer less knowledgable sledders excellent advice on not just trail conditions but, 'do arounds', accommodations, fuel, food etc. We can't expect the ITG to give us all the info we need to make good planning decisions, and we shouldn't try to muzzle conscientious sledders offering advice.

If not a joke, maybe it was a misunderstanding.

Well said..:right_on:

• Like 3