amos quebec and area dec 24 - 27- jan 1 - jan 4

slomo

1 hour ago, TURBO DOO said:

I was also thinking, its a far cry then watching these darn Hallmark Christmas Movies on the W network. I want to put a parental lock on that channel for my mother,  Mrs. Turbo Doo, my sisters, and my Mother in law. :rotflmao::banghead:

For sure, It seems like they start in Oct, but as long as they are happy and dont complain about our sled addiction, which runs all year. Weve caught ourselves many times out in the boat cruising talking about sledding in July!

10 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

309 next W. N/S/ trail to 307 showing red?

I noticed that 309 was red as well. The first part of it is a continuation of the east/west section of 307 plowed road and the western section is more twisty section with bush,quite a bit of private property and more road running.

I see theres no escape from val d or  unless you go the long way around

83  the 309 is closed now.It wasnt in our plan but strangely enough we where right at the end of 309  and that area malartic was in fantastic shape.btw that was the end of the trail for us as we jumped on to roads to head west for 5 km to pick up the 83 at a very slushy lac preissac I would upload some pics but I get  there was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200

IMG-2213.thumb.jpg.aacd53d22846cbd9fec35cf8d1e5d111.jpg

Edited by 528rick
excuse
  • Like 1

Off to the camp today for re-fit and replenish for the next leg of my non-specific gender neutral happy seasonal sledding vacation.....a few pics from yesterday...

pic01.thumb.JPG.3fa6a0f5a2202ae4ef26d341cac0541e.JPG

Just had one more item to field check on this ride....making sure heated jacket did not blow the fuse on the BRP plug in accessory harness in the glove box...runs continuously on the head light circuit when the 2nd relay kicks in at 800 RPM...more or less continuous feed once sled starts....on my other sled it runs on an accessory circuit of 15 amp kicks in at 2000 RPM or so...tested sucessfully...no fuses blown at full heat. New trailer is working well and certainly more convenient than my previous single trailer set up....

pic02.thumb.JPG.e8c839565f68d6baeb4a4e0f975c064f.JPG

Out on the trails .....pass by the local airport and notice landing lights are on.....wait a bit for a landing plane so I can pull a Top Gun Tom Cruise on a snowmobile running alongside with plane in background. ...must have been testing the lights as no plane came...just as well....likely would have suffered some misfortune holding camera in one hand and waving  in air with the other. I do have the suspension set up to limit skiis in the air as well...

pic03.thumb.JPG.106136170bf2e0a694919e26d9d962b5.JPG

Was handed a Boxing Day gift with the stunning light in the sky in the morning. A few random pics from various trail travels....

pic04.thumb.JPG.284c5c3a3464813890e13a642024fcb2.JPG

pic05.thumb.JPG.f6bae5403aea3cf7e4edf47cd06fad25.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.93340532af8def27cec37a32259daa11.JPG

pic07.thumb.JPG.8a8f123c477064afe57dcfab51462a3a.JPG

pic08.thumb.JPG.5da22c7ce858fc2426f1de6048a1d129.JPG

pic09.thumb.JPG.c0b59613bf8264c732e125111307e2c3.JPG

And 3 of the total 6 of sleds I saw on the trails all day....

pic10.thumb.JPG.dd5ac0b201f2bbb7a1461b1f53df3c20.JPG

It is now 5:43 am and hearing the siren calls of a waffle machine....happy sledding wherever you are!

hash tag revrnd - yup sign post west of Amos.

hmmmm...maybe change things up a bit...they also have bacon eggs....... hash browns....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, slomo said:

A few random pics from various trail travels....

pic04.thumb.JPG.284c5c3a3464813890e13a642024fcb2.JPG

pic05.thumb.JPG.f6bae5403aea3cf7e4edf47cd06fad25.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.93340532af8def27cec37a32259daa11.JPG

pic07.thumb.JPG.8a8f123c477064afe57dcfab51462a3a.JPG

And 3 of the total 6 of sleds I saw on the trails all day....

It is now 5:43 am and hearing the siren calls of a waffle machine....happy sledding wherever you are!

hash tag revrnd - yup sign post west of Amos.

We didnt see too many sleds the day we headed west. I'm thinking it would've been a Mon'.

I'm only familiar w/ the trails south & west of Amos, so I didnt know if the signs could have been east of town.

Forest cover & terrain looks similar to La Sarre where it opens up to farm country (who'd a thunk it up there). Up there during the summer of 2018 & surprised about the predominance of farming when compared to what is seen along 11 west of Cochrane.

For those that never rode A105Q, the bush starts as soon as you cross the bridge into Ontario. Only starts to thin out when you approach Cochrane.

is this area a good spot to launch from every day, like is there some good loops, or more of a launch spot for saddlebagging. never been to Quebec and Cochrane is getting old , like the open fields, and fast wide bush trails 

1 hour ago, diesel04 said:

is this area a good spot to launch from every day, like is there some good loops, or more of a launch spot for saddlebagging. never been to Quebec and Cochrane is getting old , like the open fields, and fast wide bush trails 

We love the Amos area. You can ride in 4 directions out of there. There is a mix of trail types but lots of big wide fast trails if that's what you are looking for. Slomo's picks in this thread show the varying trail types. All quite wide wherever possible. We typically saddlebag but have day tripped a few times out of Amos in the middle of a saddlebag trip. Loops can be made from a couple of hours to a 520 km. to Mattagami /Lebel-sur-Quevillon/Senneterre. If you want you can do a loop to Rouyn or Val d or. 

Like most areas, the trails are better through the week and the area is so big that you seldom see other sleds on the trail through the week.

The Atmosphere is a great place to stay with the main trail just behind it. It has a good restaurant, outdoor hot tubs, inside sled storage, and outside doors + hallway entrances to the rooms. Eskers is another hotel/restaurant/bar that is supposed to be pretty good and Slomo's review of a new spot on this thread seems interesting. 

There is a SkiDoo , Cat and a Yamaha dealer in Amos.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Forest cover & terrain looks similar to La Sarre where it opens up to farm country (who'd a thunk it up there). Up there during the summer of 2018 & surprised about the predominance of farming when compared to what is seen along 11 west of Cochrane.

There's more farming there than one would think.  The Abitibi Lowlands area to the East of the lake is beautiful rolling farmland.  There's a very successful (but not well known) Apple orchard on an island on the East end of the lake.  I saw a report on it on the Qc version of CBC once .... very interesting.  I promised myself to visit during the fall, perhaps just as a day trip or a weekend thing.  We've fished and hunted on Abitibi but didn't venture too far away from our launching point, for safetys' sake.  Easy to get lost on there.

Sorry for the hijack.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Techdenis007 said:

There's more farming there than one would think. 

Yup, I have to say, Quebec has been quite a surprise as I get to know it better. If there are any motorcyclists needing a new tour to ride, go up hwy 155 from Shawinigan, through La Tuque, Chambord, Roberval and around Lac St. Jean, down to Tadousac and back. Did this in the truck this summer scoping future sled travels - a few pics from hwy 155....

1844017831_IMG_4055(Medium).thumb.JPG.bb7fc0e729106b7ba2b24a62c42628d8.JPG

1276263710_IMG_4058(Medium).thumb.JPG.f6e087b5de0d2c783adbc34d4cac65b6.JPG

198593019_IMG_4075(Medium).thumb.JPG.e083c514e3b30065211cbbf70c79b6c3.JPG

Almost rivals Gaspe.

• Like 2

Yes Abitibi is huge. I thought of that as we rode along the railbed. You skirt along a bit of it & then quite a few miles later you see it again. That trail gave you a real sense of remoteness. Nothing from La Reine to the Cochrane area other than the old fishing camp at Low Bush River.

30 minutes ago, blackjack1 said:

sad, was a great connection, used it lots.

We have used it a few times.  It closed im thinking when the groomer re distributing happened a few year years ago. Leaving PBR to close it, grooming time,  miles and number of groomers. I am thinking there was more of us Ontario riders heading Quebec way, then vise versa. Also the conversation of Quebec grooming part way to help, i think never amounted to much.  Great trail, maybe one day..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

We have used it a few times.  It closed im thinking when the groomer re distributing happened a few year years ago. Leaving PBR to close it, grooming time,  miles and number of groomers. I am thinking there was more of us Ontario riders heading Quebec way, then vise versa. Also the conversation of Quebec grooming part way to help, i think never amounted to much.  Great trail, maybe one day..

yes, definately,a long hard lonely groom.but great for us as a connector.that would be a 4 cases of beer run:cheers:

• Haha 1

A105Q closed many moons ago....there was a camp about halfway that a local was thinking of opening and keeping the trail active but that fell by the wayside....was great yrs ago when u wanted to ride early and get out to northern QU.....if u know the area and have fuel some still use it.

Adding on to previous posts.....conditions in Chicoutimi, our original destination didn't look to warrant the drive, so returned to Amos and the Rodeway Inn in order that ms slomo expand her previous 100 yards of sled driving into more than a few kilometers. Trails in excellent shape and nice and wide for those new to the past time....obligatory pictures and the Amos club sign....

896893408_IMG_4259(Medium).thumb.JPG.c44a5055765164209410cb1a44fbd09d.JPG

...someone was told to go before we got going....

2114005693_IMG_4261(Medium).thumb.JPG.90f0a34735a383bac678cf2cd3171d71.JPG

and close to 100 klicks for the day for the newby....

1295780569_IMG_4260(Medium).thumb.JPG.f07229b510c1d898571aacc996f9e15a.JPG

Hope to get out tomorrow again.  Might have seen 10 sleds all day.

Freakin F150, just out of warranty of course, had  windshield washer intermittent freezing take place on the way  up. Yeah yeah used -45 expensive rainEx and this was not the problem...have to get rid of this particular flow back valve that apparently is the problem. No fun on the highway without the washers.

An update to lodging.....the signs on the hydro poles #50 and #51 mentioned in original post are yellow not red. Couple rode in here last night on touring sled and were registering  just as their delivery chicken arrived. Must be some app you can order ahead or whatever...Google presents a list of restaurants who deliver the 2 kilometers from town to Rodeway Inn, Pikogan so for those using the hotel as an overnight on a tour, this option is available. (have cutlery included I guess unless you get pizza)  Elevator is now working as are vending machines, waffle maker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slomo said:

Adding on to previous posts.....conditions in Chicoutimi, our original destination didn't look to warrant the drive, so returned to Amos and the Rodeway Inn in order that ms slomo expand her previous 100 yards of sled driving into more than a few kilometers. Trails in excellent shape and nice and wide for those new to the past time....obligatory pictures and the Amos club sign....

896893408_IMG_4259(Medium).thumb.JPG.c44a5055765164209410cb1a44fbd09d.JPG

...someone was told to go before we got going....

2114005693_IMG_4261(Medium).thumb.JPG.90f0a34735a383bac678cf2cd3171d71.JPG

and close to 100 klicks for the day for the newby....

1295780569_IMG_4260(Medium).thumb.JPG.f07229b510c1d898571aacc996f9e15a.JPG

Hope to get out tomorrow again.  Might have seen 10 sleds all day.

Freakin F150, just out of warranty of course, had  windshield washer intermittent freezing take place on the way  up. Yeah yeah used -45 expensive rainEx and this was not the problem...have to get rid of this particular flow back valve that apparently is the problem. No fun on the highway without the washers.

An update to lodging.....the signs on the hydro poles #50 and #51 mentioned in original post are yellow not red. Couple rode in here last night on touring sled and were registering  just as their delivery chicken arrived. Must be some app you can order ahead or whatever...Google presents a list of restaurants who deliver the 2 kilometers from town to Rodeway Inn, Pikogan so for those using the hotel as an overnight on a tour, this option is available. (have cutlery included I guess unless you get pizza)  Elevator is now working as are vending machines, waffle maker.

Looking good Slomo. Thanks for sharing. We are headed to that area in a week or so..:right_on:..

• Like 1

My 2019 has been good but I ended up taking a small drill bit and drilled out the back flow valve on my 2016 F150.   Problem solved.       

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scottyr said:

My 2019 has been good but I ended up taking a small drill bit and drilled out the back flow valve on my 2016 F150.   Problem solved.       

After three years and no problems to this point, (truck just turned 100,000 kms - not my daily driver) thought I could leave the drill at home..^_^ There is a new updated Y shaped valve that does not work any better than the straight through valve...bypassed that so I have washer on the driver's side at least. Might pick up a Y connector at Can Tire today and re-do the fix. These are the things you run into on winter vacations !

21 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

Looking good Slomo. Thanks for sharing. We are headed to that area in a week or so..:right_on:..

Here's a picture for you from sled trail level of the river crossing west of the Amosphere....be careful on the road if going that way. Hope the river freezes up - looked like open water from street view from the truck.

757280723_IMG_4263(Medium).JPG.e6ecb3a8bd81bbd33303556b154688f2.JPG

Trails a bit mash potatoey today, but snow depth is good. BTW - update your Imotoneige app - they have added trail conditions!

6 hours ago, jjbffb said:

Thanks Slomo for review, heading to rodeway inn today for 2 nights, what are the gas prices like in the area?

My new friend....if you have to ask about the price of gas, you should not be in snowmobiling!  ;-) Just pulling your leg.......1.18 per liter. Gas station right next to hotel, police station right next door to that. Enjoy your trip - plenty of interesting trails around here. Leaving early tomorrow.  Temps are supposed to drop to minus 8 daytime, minus 13 nighttime so trails should be nice and firm.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, slomo said:

My new friend....if you have to ask about the price of gas, you should not be in snowmobiling!  ;-) Just pulling your leg.......1.18 per liter. Gas station right next to hotel, police station right next door to that. Enjoy your trip - plenty of interesting trails around here. Leaving early tomorrow.  Temps are supposed to drop to minus 8 daytime, minus 13 nighttime so trails should be nice and firm.

LOL...so true!

• Like 1