amos quebec and area dec 24 - 27- jan 1 - jan 4

slomo

My vacation begins with a road trip up to the Corridur du North Corridor, good weather and road conditions....here is whiz stop just south of North Bay so you can ascertain snow depth conditions....

pic01.thumb.JPG.4f88f28b82c2c363884865d6a1fc2f28.JPG

BTW anyone buying a new pickup truck should definitely get the crew cab model.....the two doors open outward creating a shelter that might prevent an arrest

for urinating in a public place, but save a lot of time not having to pull into gas stations, restaurants and other road side stops to answer nature's call....hmmmm...maybe can train ms. slomo to balance her butt on the running boards....next trip....

The Apollo Motel in Kap must have changed owners...emails usually answered within a half hour or so went unanswered....maybe a message from the accomodation gods...so following the example those two motel doyens revrnd and sledjunk, decided to try the Advantage right next door. Practically deserted...as were most other hotels/motels in the area, which was strange given the good trail conditions...

pic02.thumb.JPG.1fee8627a1ddb2996a33b8caacfafeb2.JPG

Upon entering the room, it was immediately apparent as to why this motel was favoured....a work bench ready for those tinkerers to set up various tools! My results differed.

pic02b.thumb.JPG.7fcb9cb37b7519e63bb91421449af09b.JPG

Spent a couple of days of getting used to and making a few notes about the new to me sled on the trails that never disappoint....folks from my area of the country find it unseemly to brag about such things, but did get in more than a few kilometers including some measured 100 km runs to ascertain future fuel expectations. 

pic03.thumb.JPG.8abe8f2653cab1fadf3daf3d4e56098a.JPG

Then under an ominous red morning sky....off to the Abitibi-Temiskaming...pic04.thumb.JPG.bb7072f9d2af7b68257b44b8bdf9cbde.JPG

onto what turned into a nice drive in sunny conditions....pic05.thumb.JPG.df35de771be93e44f25e9add9c706844.JPG

terminating at the Rodeway Inn, just north of Amos at Pikogan. Hotel is brand new....get ground floor rooms...elevator out of service.

pic06.thumb.JPG.3ff7448aecaa21b287bc8a0996caf3a5.JPG

pic07.thumb.JPG.0ece2d9b5d3335afce7ccfafcd31c8d1.JPG

Out for a brief run upon arrival.....trails are deep and crisp and even....

pic08.thumb.JPG.1f474427104b0bcca726d64be502ad5a.JPG

pic09.thumb.JPG.093246a24c64bed0300ceb6f6f415702.JPG

Hope you are enjoying your family time. More later as it becomes available.

Edited by slomo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Free full breakfast here starts at 5:30 am....not like some other places that get around to it much later....

816035101_IMG_4212(Medium).thumb.JPG.3825b9f9ba559c48381c3333befbac7f.JPG

......and to what did my wondering eyes should appear ?......

86617327_IMG_4211(Medium).thumb.JPG.e5a1c966d7c2b0a8a47860ce2404218c.JPG

Daylight in 1 hour ...fed...and ready for the trails.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looking good-heading to Val d'Or a week today!

Excellent pics, love the updates !!  Do I understand you were only in Kap for one night, or was it two ?  Trails were great last weekend, they are getting better by the day.  Enjoy the rest of your trip !!

• Like 1

Nice travels you have Solmo ! Is there trail acess right at the Rodeway Inn or is there a bit of road running to get there ?

Hey Slomo Just got back from amos.We started in rouyn 93 east I believe the trail shows yellow about half way.. Dont Believe It really rough for 10 kms stumps and bog.anything east and north of amos was beauty.Took 83 back from amos to rouyn after running a few short roads to avoid unavailable trails. Muskoka 1 ...trails heading out of val d or where busy and getting a little bumpy but by ontario conditions very good

1 hour ago, 528rick said:

Hey Slomo Just got back from amos.We started in rouyn 93 east I believe the trail shows yellow about half way.. Dont Believe It really rough for 10 kms stumps and bog.anything east and north of amos was beauty.Took 83 back from amos to rouyn after running a few short roads to avoid unavailable trails. Muskoka 1 ...trails heading out of val d or where busy and getting a little bumpy but by ontario conditions very good

Looks like they get about 7" of neige between now & then! 309 not open?

4 hours ago, Techdenis007 said:

Excellent pics, love the updates !!  Do I understand you were only in Kap for one night, or was it two ?  Trails were great last weekend, they are getting better by the day.  Enjoy the rest of your trip !!

Was there for a couple of days...was headed out to Hearst, but lost my teeth on that stretch at Opa....stayed mainly easterly after that. Seems you were out on the trail work anyway...tip of my hat to you sir....changing up the fuel octane as you suggested fixed the problem...900ace no longer starts, stalls, and starts again...all one smooth operation now.

1 hour ago, northstar said:

Nice travels you have Solmo ! Is there trail acess right at the Rodeway Inn or is there a bit of road running to get there ?

In for a bit of lunch....very good run this morning. Main trail TQ 93 groomed on Christmas eve!!

The local folks don't seem to be too enthusiastic about sledding so no marked trail exit to the hotel or the gas station.

However, on the hydro poles along the main trail 307 you will see red markers with numbers on them. A readily distinguishable exit occurs between post #50 and #51 - closer to #51 I think. A well used sled trail leads around the perimeter of the houses etc. and over to the hotel.  If you have a good nose you can sense where the river is and follow streets in that direction if you get lost.

hotel.jpg.34d8e322942fd18188b55d9dc5221fc7.jpg

Gas next door. Fridge and microwave in each room...indoor pool.. bring your own food as except for breakfast I have not seen anything else close by or convenient.

French is local language but at least two working here speak very good English ...tried some Dogrib on them, but it has no resemblance to local native language.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 528rick said:

Had a nice smooth ride to Teschereau and back among other places...all at least 7-8 /10 ....lucky me. Supposed to be a bit of snow tomorrow.

• Like 1

Nice report.   I hope to head to Amos in a couple of weeks.   We always stay at the Amosphere.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Nice report.   I hope to head to Amos in a couple of weeks.   We always stay at the Amosphere.  

Entralled by TurboDooÍQ's report last year I looked into that place, but trail access seemed sketchy from the west to the east side of the river. Indeed, looking at that area this morning, while there are tracks across the river there are no stakes, conditions looked soft - did not bother crossing over bridge on road as indicated by the thin green line there on the trail conditions map. Just something to look into before you go - easterly out of Amosphere parking lot should be good.

• Like 1

X2 at the atmosphere great restaurant muskoka 1 not sure where 309 is but 307 was good as not to many people or sleds where there.lakes are soft be careful 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Entralled by TurboDooÍQ's report last year I looked into that place, but trail access seemed sketchy from the west to the east side of the river. Indeed, looking at that area this morning, while there are tracks across the river there are no stakes, conditions looked soft - did not bother crossing over bridge on road as indicated by the thin green line there on the trail conditions map. Just something to look into before you go - easterly out of Amosphere parking lot should be good.

I don't think I have ever seen any stakes across the river by the highway bridge OR up and down the river. If you could ride under the bridge and got off to the right a block before the next bridge there is another decent spot Hotel Eskers (hoel/motel/bar/ restaurant just across the first street parallel to the river. Very nice trails to the east and south

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slomo said:

Was there for a couple of days...was headed out to Hearst, but lost my teeth on that stretch at Opa....stayed mainly easterly after that. Seems you were out on the trail work anyway...tip of my hat to you sir....changing up the fuel octane as you suggested fixed the problem...900ace no longer starts, stalls, and starts again...all one smooth operation now.

In for a bit of lunch....very good run this morning. Main trail TQ 93 groomed on Christmas eve!!

The local folks don't seem to be too enthusiastic about sledding so no marked trail exit to the hotel or the gas station.

However, on the hydro poles along the main trail 307 you will see red markers with numbers on them. A readily distinguishable exit occurs between post #50 and #51 - closer to #51 I think. A well used sled trail leads around the perimeter of the houses etc. and over to the hotel.  If you have a good nose you can sense where the river is and follow streets in that direction if you get lost.

hotel.jpg.34d8e322942fd18188b55d9dc5221fc7.jpg

Gas next door. Fridge and microwave in each room...indoor pool.. bring your own food as except for breakfast I have not seen anything else close by or convenient.

French is local language but at least two working here speak very good English ...tried some Dogrib on them, but it has no resemblance to local native language.

It isn’t fuel your coil is going bad on sled. Had the same problem with my 900. Changing fuel hids problem for abit but it will come back and strand you eventually. Dealer looked up code and changed it. You will have reduce power too and fuel economy not as good as it should be. I thought 900 was a dog compared to etec and it would randomly shut off on me and always restarted and everything seemed fine. I took it straight back to dealer after riding it for almost a season and they were able to find code and fix it right. Good luck. Now it runs fine on regular fuel, fuel economy is way better and no more shutting off and having to restart it in middle of trail 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slomo said:

I never recalled stakes last Jan when we were there Slomo. But then again we were tailing Evil and her Hubby,  so most things blurred that day at that rate of travel..:rotflmao: And it did not help it was -40 that am when we left Val dor. When we are in the area in the not so distant future,  i will check to see if stakes are there then.  

Thanks for the great reports as usual. :right_on:

Edited by TURBO DOO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

It isn’t fuel your coil is going bad on sled. Had the same problem with my 900. Changing fuel hids problem for abit but it will come back and strand you eventually. Dealer looked up code and changed it. You will have reduce power too and fuel economy not as good as it should be. I thought 900 was a dog compared to etec and it would randomly shut off on me and always restarted and everything seemed fine. I took it straight back to dealer after riding it for almost a season and they were able to find code and fix it right. Good luck. Now it runs fine on regular fuel, fuel economy is way better and no more shutting off and having to restart it in middle of trail 

The problem was on start up and never occurred again after that - sled was stored with Shell v non-ethanol - once that was siphoned out and replaced with 87, problem gone. Did get a few runs in on back trails to check before season began.  I had heard about (middle)  coil problems and fuel pump problems, but so far so good.

Power seems okay as well - ha ha moment busting snow drifts proximate to hotel got the attention of the police stationed next door. Checked permit, exhaust, all good.

Edited by slomo
  • Like 1

A few random pictures from today's rides...

pic01.thumb.JPG.1728cf0f1986c753ac27eacac7ffdb80.JPG

pic02.thumb.JPG.85d89837afd7d95315fe9b8540607f5e.JPG

pic03.thumb.JPG.f191f68472b10f4749151fea76ac32ff.JPG

pic04.thumb.JPG.ee74b8814fc01110339bf78400eee55b.JPG

pic05.thumb.JPG.48c4946c6bc6ae925c5cad86b867039a.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.aaaee14e74dc30f7adad261394c0acd8.JPG

Out again tomorrow.....Boxing Day....for those following the Greek Orthodox calendar, stock up on your gifts for January 7th! sometimes called Ukrainian Christmas

Edited by slomo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Slomo is the sign 'arch' west of Amos? Looks familiar from when we were headed to La Sarre after leaving Amos around '08.

2 hours ago, slomo said:

A few random pictures from today's rides...

pic01.thumb.JPG.1728cf0f1986c753ac27eacac7ffdb80.JPG

pic02.thumb.JPG.85d89837afd7d95315fe9b8540607f5e.JPG

pic03.thumb.JPG.f191f68472b10f4749151fea76ac32ff.JPG

pic04.thumb.JPG.ee74b8814fc01110339bf78400eee55b.JPG

pic05.thumb.JPG.48c4946c6bc6ae925c5cad86b867039a.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.aaaee14e74dc30f7adad261394c0acd8.JPG

Out again tomorrow.....Boxing Day....for those following the Greek Orthodox calendar, stock up on your gifts for January 7th! sometimes called Ukrainian Christmas

And here i thought the drooling was done for the day after Turkey.  Thanks for the pics..:right_on:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 528rick said:

X2 at the atmosphere great restaurant muskoka 1 not sure where 309 is but 307 was good as not to many people or sleds where there.lakes are soft be careful 

309 next W. N/S/ trail to 307 showing red?

Thanks for the report and pics, better then any tv show or netflix. Especially when we are so far away from sledding down here.

Send us more!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slomo said:

The problem was on start up and never occurred again after that - sled was stored with Shell v non-ethanol - once that was siphoned out and replaced with 87, problem gone. Did get a few runs in on back trails to check before season began.  I had heard about (middle)  coil problems and fuel pump problems, but so far so good.

Power seems okay as well - ha ha moment busting snow drifts proximate to hotel got the attention of the police stationed next door. Checked permit, exhaust, all good.

That is what I thought too but problem would come and go. If sled every shuts off while riding, I would look deeper. Glad you are having fun, I haven’t even got sled out of storage yet. 

35 minutes ago, GTC said:

Thanks for the report and pics, better then any tv show or netflix. Especially when we are so far away from sledding down here.

Send us more!

I was also thinking, its a far cry then watching these darn Hallmark Christmas Movies on the W network. I want to put a parental lock on that channel for my mother,  Mrs. Turbo Doo, my sisters, and my Mother in law. :rotflmao::banghead:

• Haha 1

What's Netflix? :ph34r:

(asking for a friend...)

Slomo thank you for the lodgings comment in your earlier post. You deserve some recognition too as you've been very helpful with you reports both on the forum & w/ PMs.

Slomo is the master correspondent.

• Like 2