Cochrane Travel Centre - NEW

revrnd

20191224_212828-1.thumb.jpg.dbba7077284269a8b4a85a27ebe2eb8c.jpg

The ad says Highway 11 south, I guess they redid the Fast Stop truck stop.

image.thumb.png.10dc5c463c21316e0bcb8ee871b22445.png

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

The ad says Highway 11 south, I guess they redid the Fast Stop truck stop.

Yup> BTW if you haven 't been to the polar bear habitat....this is likely the last year it will remain open. Lack of funding.

• Sad 1

On 12/25/2019 at 4:56 AM, slomo said:

Yup> BTW if you haven 't been to the polar bear habitat....this is likely the last year it will remain open. Lack of funding.

Sorry to hear that. I visited it a few years ago and enjoyed it. Government is cutting everything it seems. Such a shame since it is a major attraction in Cochrane no doubt. One of reasons people stop there. 

• Like 1

had a teen burger and fry and a root beer on the 27th there  sit and eat joint.  not to sure about the little caesars  express looked like a oven warmer on back wall in the convenience  store, did not look to close

52 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Sorry to hear that. I visited it a few years ago and enjoyed it. Government is cutting everything it seems. Such a shame since it is a major attraction in Cochrane no doubt. One of reasons people stop there. 

Actually supported by local government - losing $300K to $400K a year. Many attractions that far north have or are closing - Shania Twaine museum (she took her dresses back) Hockey Museum in the area....

Article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/cochrane-polar-bear-habitat-future-1.5351147

I think it is a darn shame that Timmins doesn't honour that other famous citizen from there - comedian Derek Edwards. I will never forget his routine upon discovering that many people in Nova Scotia move their homes to other locations rather than move to another house... "you just can't  find that wall paper like we have in the parlour anywhere else these days". When buying a house prospective owners check " how well the house does on the corners..."

On 12/24/2019 at 10:14 PM, SlowTouringGuy said:

Beats the No Adventure Inn.  :shock:

Cannot believe the doors are still open ,our last visit 3 or 4 years ago was very interesting to say the least 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cookster said:

had a teen burger and fry and a root beer on the 27th there  sit and eat joint.  not to sure about the little caesars  express looked like a oven warmer on back wall in the convenience  store, did not look to close

My sister and better half stopped in there a few days ago, on  their way home from her better halfs family  farm in Cochrane,  and she told me they were not overly impressed..:wtf:. We may or may not check it out next time up there..

1 hour ago, TURBO DOO said:

My sister and better half stopped in there a few days ago, on  their way home from her better halfs family  farm in Cochrane,  and she told me they were not overly impressed..:wtf:. We may or may not check it out next time up there..

yep it is just     A&W     fills the gap                  

20191227_151416.jpg

Talking to my North Bay trucker friend (does a daily dedicated run to Timmins & Cochrane) yesterday. He said the project had a bit of a set back during the site prep. While digging out the tanks part of the building slid into the hole. As a result they started from scratch for the building.

• Like 1

Is there a vintage sled display attached to the Polar Bear Exhibit??

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

53 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Is there a vintage sled display attached to the Polar Bear Exhibit??

Yes

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Talking to my North Bay trucker friend (does a daily dedicated run to Timmins & Cochrane) yesterday. He said the project had a bit of a set back during the site prep. While digging out the tanks part of the building slid into the hole. As a result they started from scratch for the building.

Rumor in town, and ive been told by a reliable source, that there was a million bucks put into the hole there...

Edited by TURBO DOO

On 1/2/2020 at 4:35 PM, TURBO DOO said:

I heard over 1000 sleds thru SRF Smoothys last Friday to Sunday .. Nuts...

That is nuts 

On 1/6/2020 at 6:22 PM, TURBO DOO said:

Seen these on google maps..

20200106_182258.jpg

I take it we don't have to worry about the 'bell hose'?

20180228_124118.jpg.c4a131eb5a8a9fe93d7e0a83cd33caba-1.thumb.jpg.e5f974540c5875632d2f9b8811eb1d67.jpg

17 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

I hope not..

I've seen that sign but can't remember where.

Just now, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I've seen that sign but can't remember where.

This is at the Esso in Cochrane. Also the old bag that ran the long gone Shell in Barrys Bay used complain about sledders running over the hose...

With all the riders in Cochrane  figured someone would post an update on the North Adventure Inn . Just curious one and done for me .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coldfinger said:

With all the riders in Cochrane  figured someone would post an update on the North Adventure Inn . Just curious one and done for me .

6 days up there and I only saw 2-3 trucks and trailers in the parking lot all week. Can't say I am surprised, We also gassed up at the new Esso Station one day. The Travelodge next door to the new Esso had some friends stay there and they spoke very highly of it and it also has a heated garage out back, I think we may try it on our next trip to Cochrane, heard the rooms were very big compared to most of the other hotels in town.