Towing Fuel Economy

signfan

16 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

To be honest,  I think the PR 147, or a XT 147, depending on your budget, tows better then the TC 167. I found that with the TC167, having  only 1 axle, when loaded, the weight was always ahead of the axle. My sleds where always loaded in, driving in, and you could never get the majority of the weight over the axle. Just my opinion. I found when loaded,  it had alot of tounge weight. You can order the TC 167 with a double axle, but why bother when you can move up to a xt or a pr. Plus, standing in the tc 167 SUCKS. It looks like a TC 167, like i had, with the inside walls finished, is now running pretty much at 11gs..

Also i have loaded and unloaded our older XT 147 and our current new PR147 un hooked from the truck. Which is nice sometimes. I have even loaded my X series JD into our previous XT 147 un hooked from the truck.  The XT and PR being a larger trailer, will always catch more wind, at least against the sidewall. I am very very comfortable towing with my half ton silverado, but the next truck will possibly be a 2500. Just for more added stability,  and the thought of moving to a PR 187 in a season or 2. I would also never tow without decent snow tires in the winter season...

Which ever way you go, think about ordering a trailer. That way, you get what you want, and can customize it to your needs. 

You’ll be more than happy with a 2500 series truck , my duramax tows effortlessly and it’s several years old 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 11:11 PM, Turbo Doo said:

To be honest,  I think the PR 147, or a XT 147, depending on your budget, tows better then the TC 167. I found that with the TC167, having  only 1 axle, when loaded, the weight was always ahead of the axle. My sleds where always loaded in, driving in, and you could never get the majority of the weight over the axle. Just my opinion. I found when loaded,  it had alot of tounge weight. You can order the TC 167 with a double axle, but why bother when you can move up to a xt or a pr. Plus, standing in the tc 167 SUCKS. It looks like a TC 167, like i had, with the inside walls finished, is now running pretty much at 11gs..

Also i have loaded and unloaded our older XT 147 and our current new PR147 un hooked from the truck. Which is nice sometimes. I have even loaded my X series JD into our previous XT 147 un hooked from the truck.  The XT and PR being a larger trailer, will always catch more wind, at least against the sidewall. I am very very comfortable towing with my half ton silverado, but the next truck will possibly be a 2500. Just for more added stability,  and the thought of moving to a PR 187 in a season or 2. I would also never tow without decent snow tires in the winter season...

Which ever way you go, think about ordering a trailer. That way, you get what you want, and can customize it to your needs. 

Are you considering an HD truck to tow your sled trailer that is what just shy of 2,000 lbs plus a couple of sleds that puts you around 3,000 lbs....or do you tow other stuff that has you leaning towards an HD?

HD's are nice that have there pro's & con's, but a 1/2 ton is way more than capable of that weight, could add some air bags that really help in the rear if needed.....with a lot less expense.

Aside from the HD truck costing more with typically very few incentives from the manufacture, plate sticker is double and most parts are more due to it being an HD.

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Are you considering an HD truck to tow your sled trailer that is what just shy of 2,000 lbs plus a couple of sleds that puts you around 3,000 lbs....or do you tow other stuff that has you leaning towards an HD?

HD's are nice that have there pro's & con's, but a 1/2 ton is way more than capable of that weight, could add some air bags that really help in the rear if needed.....with a lot less expense.

Aside from the HD truck costing more with typically very few incentives from the manufacture, plate sticker is double and most parts are more due to it being an HD.

Also need the safety sticker on a HD 2500 too, for pulling a trailer. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

There are options to change the GVWR at the licence office so you don’t need a safety sticker for towing ...... I never require a safety for my 2500 Chevy 

19 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

The HD2500 GVWR is 10,450 lbs / 4,740 kg. for the 4 WD.

HD.JPG.f2d6f739507cc37cf43235ab2bdc4afe.JPG

According to the MTO

Regulation 611: Annual Inspections: Personal-Use Pickup Trucks and Trailers

Effective July 1, 2019, pickup trucks and trailers for personal use are exempt from the requirement for an annual inspection (both the inspection and displaying the yellow decal/sticker).

A pickup truck, and any trailer drawn by the pickup truck, qualify for the exemption, provided the following criteria is met:
• The pickup truck and trailer are being used for personal use without compensation; AND

• The pickup truck and trailer are NOT carrying commercial tools or cargo, or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes.

For the exemption to apply, the pickup truck must:

• Have a manufacturer’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 6,500 kg or less AND

• Be fitted with either the original, unmodified box that was installed by the manufacturer or an unmodified replacement box that duplicates the one originally installed by the manufacturer.

So with a GVWR of 4,740 kg. the HD2500 would be exempt from inspection as long as it is personal use only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Edited by 02Sled

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

While i appreciate all the comments.  I am more then versed in the Pros and Cons of this truck and that truck. The PR147 is roughly 1600 to 1650lbs, without sleds. 

:right_on:....

No problem & good to hear....I know a few that bought an HD thinking they needed it, to than not like the extra costs that came with it after the purchase or to dislike the not so plush ride that a 1/2 ton offers now a days & many are accustom too.

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Not exactly, but I see the info on this has already been posted.

38 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

There are options to change the GVWR at the licence office so you don’t need a safety sticker for towing ...... I never require a safety for my 2500 Chevy 

Mine was changed when bought by the dealer as well.

Never required the Yellow sticker either.....although before the rule change a few years ago the only other thing that I towed that put me close or over the weight limitations was my sled trailer, but never had an issue thankfully.

Towing the travel trailer however did put me over of course by a fair amount, but those were exempt from the Yellow sticker rules anyways, as crazy as that was :headbang: 

I am so happy that O2sled, stoney and Sledguy74 put it down the way they did. Maybe some of these keyboard professionals will understand the way it has been explained. I have been trying to explain the rules for years and some had never got it. 

When the rules changed there was a huge meeting where us tradesmen got to discuss the rules and qualify any questions. It appears that some still think they know more than the tradesmen at that meeting. 

On 12/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, Baylaker said:

I had a 4.8l Silverado 1500 and using my 7x14 V nose enclosed 6’ high. It used more fuel than my new 6.0l Silverado 2500. 

The space shuttle or a cargo ship are the only things that use more fuel than my 6L 2500 HD., long box crew.

Pulled the new to me 31 foot bumper pull trailer from Thornbury, to Hepworth. 11000 lbs. Granted, there are lots of long hills, and the truck handles it well, but that bastard ate 40L of gas to go maybe 100km. Not going back to diesels, been bit by the repair expense bug too many times.

Edited by vooodooo
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, vooodooo said:

The space shuttle or a cargo ship are the only things that use more fuel than my 6L 2500 HD., long box crew.

Pulled the new to me 31 foot bumper pull trailer from Thornbury, to Hepworth. 11000 lbs. Granted, there are lots of long hills, and the truck handles it well, but that bastard ate 40L of gas to go maybe 100km

That application needs a turbo diesel if you tow that weight and size very much.  If only sometimes then the 6L is more economical because of the high cost of diesel maintenance. 

02:

That is interesting.

I never seen a 1 ton SRW truck that was over 9990#, let alone a 3/4 ton. :wtf:

re: 6.0 Space Shuttle:

A diesel would likely have not gotten over 11mpg anyhow.

How often doo you use an extra 5 gallons of gas?

Edited by Ox

3 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

That application needs a turbo diesel if you tow that weight and size very much.  If only sometimes then the 6L is more economical because of the high cost of diesel maintenance. 

That 6L is most times connected to a 10,000 lb trailer. It certainly does not have the torque and pulling power of the diesel. You can put your boot into the gasser, it will respond with lots of power, noise and fuel sucking. Two trucks ago was turbo diesel, it pulled stuff way nicer, even with less HP. 

I just can't justify the extra costs involved with the diesel.

22 minutes ago, vooodooo said:

That 6L is most times connected to a 10,000 lb trailer. It certainly does not have the torque and pulling power of the diesel. You can put your boot into the gasser, it will respond with lots of power, noise and fuel sucking. Two trucks ago was turbo diesel, it pulled stuff way nicer, even with less HP. 

I concur with that.  My previous truck was a 2000 6.5 L Turbo Diesel Chev 3500 LB Dually.  It towed stuff like it wasn't there, but, as it was an occasional use vehicle, the high cost of maintenance killed me.  When I upgraded in '13, I went with a F250 LB with a 6.2L Gasser. I absolutely hate the way it shifts, but it will tow, even though it seems to struggle even with a 'light' trailer.  However, the maintenance costs have been much more palatable, and when you put your foot down, it will downshift 30 or 40 gears (OK, I might be exaggerating a bit) and finally get up and go.  Then, it will pass anything except a gas station. :-(

Since I retired in 15, I have used the truck a little more regularly, but it is still not a high mileage use (120K Km) over 7 years.

For my usage, I would not go back to diesel from my past experience.

39 minutes ago, vooodooo said:

I agree. My dually has a 5.7L in it. It has pulled my 11,800 pound boat on a 2,000 pound tri axle trailer and did a commendable job of it considering it to be a “mouse “ motor. It has had some terrible loads put on it and behind it but it never really went far. It will be 22 years old in April and I am still punishing it. I just have to remember that it is no Indy car. Lol

No doubt the 6.0L will haul donkey compared to the 5.7L

I tow an empty 1650 pound enclosed tandem trailer and somehow it takes more fuel more than to drive 2 F150s.

Mystery. 

You are actually only 'sposed to pass the handle of the pump through the fuel door, not actually try to fill the trailers gas tank via the door.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I concur with that.  My previous truck was a 2000 6.5 L Turbo Diesel Chev 3500 LB Dually.  It towed stuff like it wasn't there, but, as it was an occasional use vehicle, the high cost of maintenance killed me.  When I upgraded in '13, I went with a F250 LB with a 6.2L Gasser. I absolutely hate the way it shifts, but it will tow, even though it seems to struggle even with a 'light' trailer.  However, the maintenance costs have been much more palatable, and when you put your foot down, it will downshift 30 or 40 gears (OK, I might be exaggerating a bit) and finally get up and go.  Then, it will pass anything except a gas station. :-(

Since I retired in 15, I have used the truck a little more regularly, but it is still not a high mileage use (120K Km) over 7 years.

For my usage, I would not go back to diesel from my past experience.

My 6.4 gasser in the 2500 with the 6-speed does not shift all that well, find my self using the manual selector in certain conditions. Needed a tranny geared more for higher RPM gas engine vs. the low RPM torque monster diesel that they borrowed it from.....

Now I hear the 8-speed in the same motor is wayyy better and fixes a lot of it.

Same here when I bought it, wanted a diesel but didn't really need one for most days & the potentially very expensive repair bills, so settled with the 6.4.

Really love the truck, it has been great as a daily driver and towing my TT or sled trailer.....and anything I put in the back of it.

My next truck might be the Ford Ecoboost 3.5, depending if we still have the TT or not.

With the pricing of the new 150 or 1500 class trucks the new diesels in 250 or2500 series are getting closer in affordability.

And the maintenance and economy of the new big diesels will compete with the smaller 1/2 ton class.

I have friends who drive New F250 with 6.7 and Chev 2500 with Duramax.  Both get under 10l/100km while driving unloaded.   That is far better then my dad’s 2015 F250 Diesel, my Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemp and my previous eco boost f 150.

And when you go to sell the 2500 they hold their value way better then a 1/2 ton that drops $20,000 by the first time you take it home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sksman said:

With the pricing of the new 150 or 1500 class trucks the new diesels in 250 or2500 series are getting closer in affordability.

And the maintenance and economy of the new big diesels will compete with the smaller 1/2 ton class.

I have friends who drive New F250 with 6.7 and Chev 2500 with Duramax.  Both get under 10l/100km while driving unloaded.   That is far better then my dad’s 2015 F250 Diesel, my Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemp and my previous eco boost f 150.

And when you go to sell the 2500 they hold their value way better then a 1/2 ton that drops $20,000 by the first time you take it home.

Depends how long you keep trucks and how many km’s you do too. That is some great fuel economy numbers. I typically keep vehicles 10 plus years now, so resale is still good on half tons since farmers will still buy them off me for dirty work. 

10 hours ago, Sksman said:

I think where 1/2 tone trucks are more affordable is when you see the incentives from the manufacture, that you just do not get with the diesels.

That is some very good mileage numbers!

Any guys that I know that work on the big diesels seem to always say the same thing, when these trucks are not used often for there intended use, towing heavy and/or longer drives vs in town grocery getting, failures go up a fair amount. Parts just cost more on a HD truck, have yet to buy something for mine that was the same as my old 1/2 tons, but in fairness, everything is going up too.....

Resale is a huge plus and a big points winner for sure.....but I hear 1/2 tons right now are selling for crazy amounts.

Edited by stoney

17 hours ago, Ox said:

02:

That is interesting.

I never seen a 1 ton SRW truck that was over 9990#, let alone a 3/4 ton. :wtf:

re: 6.0 Space Shuttle:

A diesel would likely have not gotten over 11mpg anyhow.

How often doo you use an extra 5 gallons of gas?

It's a snapshot from the GM website

Yeah, I git that.

But down here, anything over 10K GVW (used for commercial porpoises*) puts you into a required medical card.

You don't need the CDL, but you doo need to have a physical at least every 2 years. Less if you're not the pigture of health.

* And they have gotten very aggressive on that subject over the last 20 years. 

Are you competing for a purse with that race car?

Any chance you could take home some $ from that horse show / rodeo competition?

So the SRW trucks were the go-to for these. 

But the trailer used many times will still put you over the "combined" requirement for a CDL anyhow...

edit:

Actually - BC RCMP have been terrorizing the 1/2 ton trucks with sled decks rolling in and out of places like Golden, Revy, etc for being O/L.

Those semi floating rear axles are not meant for that kind'a weight.

(12 bolt, 9", whatever the new gens have these days)

Edited by Ox